Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Master cylinder sizing

Post Thanks / Like

Master cylinder sizing

Sir
    During assembly of the peddle box on my gen 3 coupe it came to my attention that the master cylinders bore were different sizes. As per the instructions on page 180 the 3/4 Master cylinder goes into the left mount and the 5/8 master cylinder in the right mount. The picture illustrating this shows the master cylinders one on top of the other not left to right. It would be helpful if the orientation of the picture was the same as the orientation of the text. Question 1. Which master cylinder goes in which slot. On Page 182 where it talks about balance bar adjustment it states the master cylinders are the same size bore. This contradiction in the manual is causing further confusion. I called factory five and was told it doesn't matter which size master cylinder goes in which position. I did not get an explanation as to why it doesn't matter.
    Question 2. Please explain the thought process behind the two different size bore master cylinders. And The thought process behind why it now doesn't matter.
    Thank you
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    It does matter which cylinder connects to the front and which to the rear brakes in order to better balance the brake system.
    It does not matter which cylinder goes to the right or left mount just make sure the lines run to the proper front or back brakes. I forget which goes front and which goes to the rear.
    It used to be the cylinders were the same size but that changed about six or seven years ago to better balance the braking.
    I'm guessing they missed updating the text completely. Call back and let them know or hopefully they will catch it here.

George
    Last edited by GWL; 02-12-2019 at 11:26 PM.