FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Insurance Brokers or Underwriters for Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Question Insurance Brokers or Underwriters for Alberta, Canada

Hi - I have my VIN number ASSIGNED from the Alberta government agency. But here's my problem: most insurers will not insure the car until the VIN is REGISTERED, and in order to get the VIN registered, I need to have the safety inspection completed. But I want to insure the car before I load it onto a trailer and haul to 30 kms to mechanic who is familiar with the FFR cars.

Has anyone else had this problem? I want to make sure I have the right insurance before I haul it out of my garage, but before the VIN is actually registered. If anyone from Alberta is reading this, can you tell me what insurance broker or underwriter you're using?

Thanks,

32J

2. Thanks SBC BUILDER thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been dealing with Farnese Insurance in Fort Saskatchewan (my home town) for many years 780-998-0252, currently they have me with Intact insurance. I think a few others in the area also use them. You will need an appraisal and the cost will be based on the value. Most insurance companies won't insure our cars, give them a call and they will tell you what they can do, good luck.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

4. Thanks 32J thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    32J,

Any luck finding someone for insurance? I am running into a similar issue with coverage during my build..... My homeowners policy does not cover "car parts" and i cannot get a separate policy without a VIN......

Braden

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red.barchetta View Post
    32J,

Any luck finding someone for insurance? I am running into a similar issue with coverage during my build..... My homeowners policy does not cover "car parts" and i cannot get a separate policy without a VIN.... Braden
    I had the same issue. Catch 22. My home policy only covered up to $1500 for parts, and you could not increase the amount. ICBC won't cover it, as it's not considered a car till its registered. Damn stupid system.
    If you are using a donor car for parts, perhaps you could get a storage insurance policy for it, but that won't likely cover the entire replacement cost for the kit. Depends on the donors value I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I have $250 worth of coverage for "car parts".....

I have tried every avenue including under the family farm umbrella and nothing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if this will help any but I had the mechanic come to my garage to do my safety check so I wouldn't have to tow it anywhere, had the car registered then did an appraisal for it and got Echelon to insure the Roadster for the amount of the appraisal, as for insuring it during the build I don't think there was any kind of insurance that I could put on the car while I was building it, this car was built in Ontario so I don't know if there is a different process in Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    In Canada, Hagerty will insure a "car" in the build stage. Spoke to them specifically about the FFR '33 and it wasn't a problem. They will require pics and proof that something is actually being built and progress is being made.
    The only possible challenge is they have a fairly high bar for qualification - have a recent accident? then that's a no.....

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Brokers here in Alberta said Hagerty won't touch it. I also called Hagerty, and it was a 'no'. I ended-up getting insurance through Intact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32J View Post
    Brokers here in Alberta said Hagerty won't touch it. I also called Hagerty, and it was a 'no'. I ended-up getting insurance through Intact.
    Did they say what’s the problem with AB? I asked for a quote last year and got one here in QC…Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance in each province is different and over the years ( 19 ) I have had to change companies several times to find a company that would insure a home built Cobra. Right now in Alberta Intact is one of very few that will give us insurance and it is a similar policy, best I can tell to Hagerty and the cost so far has been reasonable.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019