Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 3D printed parts

Post Thanks / Like

3D printed parts

3D printing is my latest project!

I would like to share with you some parts that I've designed and printed for my FFR:

Grommet for shoulder holes of Kirkey 47-series tall back aluminium seat
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3424206

Steering wheel trim for dash of the Factory Five Roadster Mk4 car kit
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3424193

Door latch spacer
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3424200

Feel free to use and customize!
    Last edited by totem; 02-12-2019 at 08:31 PM.

2. Likes kgkeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is soooooo cool!!!!
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Very very cool!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, very cool.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it! I have two 3D printers at work (FDM & Objet) - I have a ton of custom ideas I want to 3D print and test out. Could even use the 3D printed objects as a base for laying up fiberglass mods if desired. I do worry about the 3D printed parts being exposed to sunlight and heat for extended periods of time. Most of the resins are ABS or nylon - they can sag / creep with time and especially heat exposure. But for applications like you posted, it should work perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had looked at 3d printers for a few years, and seeing some of the ducts that redfogo came up with got me to talk with him...he convinced me to go for it. Worst thing about it is that it's taken some time away from the 818. Pretty sure I'll get some of it back by creating solutions with the thing. Recently made an ECU panel for another builder.

Fiberglass is a great idea, but there is a guy over on the midlana forums printing parts and then casting them with aluminum. I made a contraption to melt aluminum a few years ago but tried it with varying thicknesses of steel cans and they all melted, lol. Now the bottom is full of aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the positive comments. I’m still learning, but having lot of fun.

I agree about temperature concern. I don’t think anything under the hood would survive. Right now I´m using PLA filament which is the easier to work with but is low temp. ABS would be more heat resistant but is more difficult to print.

For the fiberglass, I´m skeptical. It’s really time consuming to print anything bigger than 6in., which is fairly small for any fiberglass work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    Thank you for the positive comments. I’m still learning, but having lot of fun.

I agree about temperature concern. I don’t think anything under the hood would survive. Right now I´m using PLA filament which is the easier to work with but is low temp. ABS would be more heat resistant but is more difficult to print.

For the fiberglass, I´m skeptical. It’s really time consuming to print anything bigger than 6in., which is fairly small for any fiberglass work.
    Yep we have a commercial printer (~$50K) so the build platform has much larger envelop - we can do bigger parts. Most of the software will also let you split the part and print it in 2 sessions - it will put in interlocking/alignment features in the break line. But yes I agree...bigger parts do take a long time to print no question. Our build layer thickness is about .007" on finest resolution and about .013" thick at the lowest resolution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Totem,

What 3-D printer are you using? Thinking about a Crealitiy Ender-3. Nice job! Someone a while back printer blocks for their wipers, wondering how they have held up.

Thanks for sharing!

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    Hi Totem,

What 3-D printer are you using? Thinking about a Crealitiy Ender-3. Nice job! Someone a while back printer blocks for their wipers, wondering how they have held up.

Thanks for sharing!

Mick
    I have a Ender-3. It’s open source, hardware and software. Lots of mods, parts and upgrades are available. It’s in the Factory Five DIY mindset!