BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Brake Calipers Leaking

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Brake Calipers Leaking

In my quest to break every single component on my car I have moved on to my rear brakes. I recently bled my brakes and noticed that there was a small drop of brake fluid that would form and drop out of the bolt that held the parking brake spring to the caliper (strange). It happened on both sides, even after I cleaned it up, after a few days a drop would reappear. Further confusing, the bolt heads were different on each caliper. I have 94-04 cobra brakes and they came on the unfinished car when I bought it so unsure of the history, although they were new. So, I figured I’d tighten them up a bit and see what happens. Unfortunately, the bolt on the rear passenger side sheared right off after about a quarter turn, leaving the threads in the caliper. Does this kind of a leak make sense to anybody? Is this something I can/should try to fix, or should I just bite the bullet and buy new rear calipers since they're not crazy expensive?

Caliper.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to buy at least one anyways. Might as well replace both. That is a strange leak.
    Mike

3. Thanks CFranks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm almost 100% sure that is a dry hole, no fluid behind it. The fluid most likely came from the parking brake pivot, which does have fluid there.
    Replace both, move on.

5. Thanks CFranks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    You have to buy at least one anyways. Might as well replace both. That is a strange leak.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    I'm almost 100% sure that is a dry hole, no fluid behind it. The fluid most likely came from the parking brake pivot, which does have fluid there.
    Replace both, move on.
    Thanks guys, new calipers are on their way.