BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Power steer set up problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Power steer set up problems.

Hi Everybody,

I'm sure I can't be the only one who has faced this problem.

I have a blueprint 306 engine with installed power steering pump.

The rack and hoses came from factory five.

The rack was a pain to get to sit in the chassis but I managed.

Fitting the hoses is a whole different ball game. Without instructions I assume that the two ports on the pump and rack with the red plugs had to be plumbed to each other. Difficult to arrange the line but got it situated. How ever I have tightened the nuts as far as I can but the tubing still is loose and rotates. I am sure that this will leak as soon as the pump spins up.

The return line between the nipple on the pump and blue fitting on the rack will not fit no matter how I position it as it is interfered with by the other fittings or the chassis member

2019-02-17 14.24.23.jpg2019-02-17 14.23.48.jpg2019-02-17 14.23.44.jpg2019-02-17 14.23.39.jpg

Do I need to contact Factory five or just source better parts from an auto store.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Mount the line from the other side. First you just want to find a position that will let the threads start. Then look at which way the hard line will need to be bent to work. Being the low pressure/return line you can cut some of the metal line off, if needed.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith I beleive those connections are designed to be "loose", mine are and no leaks.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Power steering rack installed. Got quite a few things planned for this and I will come back and update this post when I get more pump and lines installed.

Power steering rack installed, sold the manual rack.

Updated July 8th 2018 I used a kit from ebay that was about 150 bucks for the pulley, the bracket and the belt. All were purchased separately but from the same buyer. The belt was 57.3 gates brand done in the v coniguration. I may later do the S configuration to get more bite on the pulley but for now this is working great.

hope this helps some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My personal recommendation is scrap the hoses you're currently fighting, Install a Heidt's Valve (you'll thank yourself later) and make custom braided lines.
    IMG_7974.jpg

I did this after I had about 15k miles on my build and wish I had done it earlier.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Spend a hundred bucks with Mark at Breeze and save yourself a whole lot of frustration. Here's your shopping list:

75016 & 21514 P.S. fittings $41.00
    21550 6AN 90 degree hose fitting $18.50
    (2) 21548 6AN straight hose fittings $17.00
    21102 Braided Teflon hose (4 ft) $21.16

You're welcome

Jeff

7. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithY View Post
    How ever I have tightened the nuts as far as I can but the tubing still is loose and rotates. I am sure that this will leak as soon as the pump spins up.
    They are supposed to be loose. I verified this with FF5 when I was at this point in my kit. No leaks so far.
    Last edited by RJD; 02-17-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

9. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I missed the part about them being loose.

They are supposed to be, do not tighten over a quarter turn or about 20 inch lbs. The little nylon washer will crush. They should be loose and I have had them on for 6 months or so. No leaks. I too had them backwards the first time, but after you mess with them a bit you can see from my pics, which end goes to the pump.

Good luck. Its nice to be able to go to any parts store and get the hoses for 15 bucks if you ever have one go bad. I added an oil cooler from summit on the low pressure side. Has been great as well, no leaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    the fittings have an o-ring inside them.
    so the nut should be tight, and the line will still swivel.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    A double check for you.
    PS rack adjuster by craig stuard, on Flickr
    IN being the high pressure line from the pump. OUT being the return to the reservoir.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody for your advise. I followed Jeff Kleiners advise and bought from Mark at Breeze. Mark helped me make the right choices for my preferred layout. Looks so much better than the cheap parts from FFR and it went together so easily. $126 well spent

.IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That does look good. Coincidentally, I ordered the same set up yesterday from Breeze. Your original post caused me to rethink my FF5 lines which I wasn't happy with. So, thank you.
    Last edited by RJD; 02-23-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished off by cable tying the two lines together twice just past the x member to make sure the return line stayed away from the steering column. I will look for a better solution for that this week

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Keith,

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like we could have gotten away with two straight hose ends at the rack.
    By the way there is no need for a hose clamp on the pushlock hose at the rack (for others watching - that was customer supplied). It also appears way over-tightened as the rubber is extruding through the slots in the clamp. I would remove that clamp. There is a clamp on the hose at the reservoir return because the fitting on the return is a simple hose retention barb and not specifically made to grip a pushlock hose.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don't know if you are aware of this but just in case, a reminder. You need to trim the rear adjuster on your upper control arms in order to obtain the required caster angle for power steering. The stock adjuster sleeve is intended for the manual rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut the the nose (tappered end of adjuster) to just back into the flat hex part of the adjuster on both ends and ended up having no problem getting the proper amount of castor. I have a Coyote so the pump is on the other side of the motor, but also di my own braided lines and fittings. Worked great.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been able to get to 6.5 caster on a couple of MkIVs w/o cutting the sleeves. this is at the bottom end of good # for PS but does work.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfernan View Post
    Don't know if you are aware of this but just in case, a reminder. You need to trim the rear adjuster on your upper control arms in order to obtain the required caster angle for power steering. The stock adjuster sleeve is intended for the manual rack.
    Jorge,

How much do you need to trim off the rear adjusters? Did you trim each end? Is that adjuster threaded all the way thru? You use a hack saw and then have to clean out the threads?

thanks

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithY View Post
    Finished off by cable tying the two lines together twice just past the x member to make sure the return line stayed away from the steering column. I will look for a better solution for that this week
    Hose separators. All sizes finishes and colors. You can also put a longer bolt in them and use them as mounts.
    Like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-68320

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the first I've read about needing to trim adjusters. Can you elaborate?