Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Lifting the Coyote - bolt size

Post Thanks / Like

Lifting the Coyote - bolt size

Can anyone tell me what is the size of the bolts needed for lifting the Coyote? The bolts don't seem to be provided by Ford and I can't find the technical information about the Gen 2 Coyote I need.

There is a flyer in the engine parts box that advertises the location I should go to for installation instructions, but the link fails and it appears there are no instructions for the Gen 2. Frustrating.

I did find on another forum this suggested bolt size:

14mm dia x 45 mm long x 2.00 mm pitch
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really the answer you're looking for, but I used these brackets. They worked very well. The only slight downside is their placement imparts a slight twist to the hang, but it's not bad to manage.

They come with the correct hardware to attach to the engine. I chose to use forged eyebolts in the upper hole than direct bolt my lifting chains.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Not really the answer you're looking for, but I used these brackets. They worked very well. The only slight downside is their placement imparts a slight twist to the hang, but it's not bad to manage.

They come with the correct hardware to attach to the engine. I chose to use forged eyebolts in the upper hole than direct bolt my lifting chains.
    I saw that and wouldn't object to buying them, but since Forte's provided me some lift brackets to use and then ship back, I thought I'd just buy the bolts. Now that I think of it though, those provided brackets have a hole diameter made only for the header bolts...hmm.

Anyone know of any reason I shouldn't lift from the header bolts, even with the headers removed?
    Last edited by GTBradley; 02-18-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bradley,

I don't know the answer to your question, but having one of these throughout the build has been very helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot the first rule for when you get stuck - Amazon!

Thanks man, it’s on its way.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Rule #2 - When you ask a question on the forum, be prepared to have your fellow builders help you spend your money!

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

7. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that and wouldn't object to buying them, but since Forte's provided me some lift brackets to use and then ship back, I thought I'd just buy the bolts. Now that I think of it though, those provided brackets have a hole diameter made only for the header bolts...hmm.

Anyone know of any reason I shouldn't lift from the header bolts, even with the headers removed?
    No reason not too...
    If Mike's brackets are drilled to fit an exhaust port opening (header) you should be golden. The Coyote ships with a full set of manifold studs, and a manifold attached (read that 8 nuts)

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

9. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'd be a little surprised if Mike's brackets lift on the header bolts. Ford has bosses on the front LH side of the head and the rear RH side of the head that are purpose made for lifting. The TD Motion brackets use those two locations. I don't remember what size the threads are, but they are standard hardware store metric sizes.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they are general purpose for more than one engine. Anyway, I confirmed with Mike that they are for lifting from the lower exhaust port bolt locations. I was checking with him too to find out if I could buy them from him (instead of borrow) as I could modify them to fit in the boses Ford intended as lift locations.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are looking for the bolt size to fit a header bolt hole, they should be 10mm x 1.50 coarse thread on the Coyote.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I was looking for the lift location boss bolt sizes. I’m going to try again with Mike’s method. I tried it before and got a strange tilt to the engine, but I was using one lower and one upper at opposite ends of the engine. I need to be using both lower.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bolt them on using the Ford supplied studs and nuts to the exhaust port holes... Mike started offering the lift rig after I purchased from him, otherwise I'd have used his stuff and saved the $90. Going across the engine to opposing corners will probably work/lift better than the "Ford" points which are rear & corner (no induced twist).

The whole engine/trans assembly only weighs about 600 pounds. Don't fret it. There's been thousands of engine installs done using a lift plate on the carburetor flange (eek!) with only four 5/16" bolts into crap aluminum!

Post Thanks / Like
    It does make you think, but when you do it’s really not that big a deal to pick up 600 lbs with a bolt that has the nut tightened all the way down. I’ll bet the breaking point on those header bolts is in the many thousands of pounds range. My issue though was the tip I couldn’t seem to get right without the whole load twisting to one side.

I did find the 15mm bolts and drilled out mikes lifting arms so I can use the Ford locations. It seems to tilt with transmission down better now.
    Bradley