Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Headlight switch

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight switch

I'm starting to plan out my dash layout in my mind, and I'm looking to minimize the number of switches on the dash. I have the Russ Thompson turn signal system, and I'm planning to use the momentary button on the end of the stalk for the horn button so I'm looking for a good solution for a headlight switch and can't quite find what I'm looking for. In general, I'm seeing two types of headlight switches:

- 3 position (off, park, low beam) with dash dimmer and dome light control. These would require a separate switch for high beams
    - 4 position (off, park, low beam, high beam) with no dash/dome. These eliminate the need for a separate high beam switch but would require a separate dash dimmer knob.

What I'm looking for is the combination of the two, i.e., 4 position switch with dash dimmer and dome light control. Does such a thing exist? I've been searching for a couple of weeks and can't find one. To be more specific, I'm looking for a vintage-looking push-pull knob, not the modern rotary dial type from newer cars.

I've seen that a lot of folks mount a foot-activated high beam switch. My old '87 Bronco had one of those, as does my '67 Mustang, and I generally like them but I'm worried that the cramped footbox of the roadster (and my size 12 shoes) will make reaching a floor-mounted switch tough if I add the planned dead pedal.

If I had to choose from the above right now, I'd go with the 4 position switch to eliminate the need for a separate high beam switch, and then mount a small dimmer knob on the underside of the dash support panel, but hopefully one of you has seen my dream switch somewhere.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you trying to get modern headlight stalk functionality in a dash-mounted switch? I've never seen a single switch that controls the headlight on/off/park/dim and high/low beam selection. If you are using the FFR vintage gauges, the dimmer in the headlight switch will not dim the gauges. You need to use the dimmer that comes with the gauges. Just something to consider. Now I have to start searching …
    Last edited by Papa; 06-02-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Papa - yes, that's what I was hoping for in one switch, but if the dimmer functionality in the switch can't control the gauge brightness then that takes that option off the table.

Greg - Thanks - yes, I've seen that one. Ron Francis also makes a few 4-position switches. None include the dash dimmer functionality but it sounds like that may not work with the vintage gauges anyway from what Papa says.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HL%2D06

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HL%2D16

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HL%2D16C
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Speedway Motors has a headlight switch with hi/low and rheostat dimmer. First pull, parking lights, second low beam, next high.
    Pretty good switch, other than a shallow thread for dash mounting.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

6. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Papa's comment made me curious so I did a little searching on using a rheostat dimmer to control the Speedhut gauges and apparently that is, in fact, a no go. I'd post the thread I found but it's on the other forum and I think forum guidelines frown upon this (not sure). So, it looks like my best option is one of the 4 position (off, park, low, high beam) switches above, plus the Speedhut dimmer under the dash on the support panel.

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I think Speedway Motors has a headlight switch with hi/low and rheostat dimmer. First pull, parking lights, second low beam, next high.
    Pretty good switch, other than a shallow thread for dash mounting.
    A bit of a digression, but I originally was going to put the horn on the wand because it was easier. But I use the horn the least of all functions on my cars. So I purchased one of these and installed/tested it last weekend with all LEDs and it's working great.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-3100006040
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

9. Likes Railroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JohnK,
    What gauges are you using? If they are the Speedhut/FFR Classic the dimmer rheostat in the headlight switch is a moot point since they have their own dimmer pot and do not use the one in the headlight switch.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. Yes, I'm planning to use the Speedhut gauges, so I'll use the dimmer pot that came with the gauges.

-John

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, LED's can be dimmed with a rheostat but there is an accompanying circuit that needs to be attached as well. Not worth the effort in our situation. Speedhut has obviously added this circuit to their LED gauges as part of the package. I'd stick with it.

From reading your post above, I'm assuming that "Flash-to-Pass" is not a feature you are interested in. Just my opinion but probably more used than a horn in our cars. I don't think I've used my horn more than once or twice in 18 years - but I'm also not a habitual horn honker . . . If you are going to use the RT stalk mounted momentary button for your horn(s), stick with the RF harness relay wiring for it, that button won't handle the amperage of anything close to a set of horns. Your button should ONLY operate the relay, nothing else.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Doc. From what I've read, the Speedhut gauges use electroluminescent lighting not LED for backlighting, and therein lies the problem. From my digging, it seems that at least one person figured out how to dim them with a rheostat but it took a lot of electrical creativity to do it. Just not worth it IMO if I can just mount the supplied dimmer knob under the dash on the support panel.

You're correct - "flash to pass" isn't something that I use at all. Around here, flashing to pass some clueless person that's going 10 MPH below the speed limit in the fast lane invariably turns them into a complete self-entitiled ******* so I'm inclined to just get around them. That probably comes from my motorcycling days, where flashing your lights at a car to pass was invariably an invitation for trouble.

I also rarely use the horn, except for maybe the occasional friendly "toot toot" so what this really comes down to is how can I get all the functions I need with the minimal amount of switches on the dash. Thanks for the caution on using the relay for the horn.

-John

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my 2 cents... use the momentary switch on the RT stalk for your dimmer switch. Use the kit-supplied headlight switch for headlights, etc. and control gauge lighting with the Speedhut supplied rheostat. If you don't want a horn button prominently displayed on the dash, mount it on the dash support under your steering wheel. BTW - that is where I mounted the gauge rheostat. For me, this approach works pretty well. Your mileage may vary...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount