Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster Sun Visors

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Sun Visors

Will probably attempt to put some sun visors on Monday, without cracking the windshield.

I started reading a few threads and got the part about using a bottom tap and being careful, shorten the screws and be careful.

All kinds of other issues, too.

I have a 2015 Mk IV and just received my visors, if that makes any diff on the parts and install.

I was thinking about dropping a nylon BB in the holes, while tapping or fitting the screws.
    All the cracking, has me nervous.

Any advise welcome.

thanks,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed Jeff Kleiner’s approach using the channel on top and square nuts instead of the screw holes. Works great and no risk of shattering glass:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...FFR-sun-visors
    MK IV Roadster #7999
    Ford Racing 427x; QF 670 Carb; TKO 600; 3.31 Rear End; 3-link; 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Khumo Ecstas (245 front, 315 rear), EPAS Power Steering; Power Brakes; 8/1/19 - Legal in gelcoat!; 12/1/20 - Paint & bodywork in progress! Silver, no black, no red, wait now silver....

Post Thanks / Like
    Use square nuts in the windshield top channel, turning your visor brackets over. Picked that up from Kleiner and others and it works great with no worry about cracking the windshield. There is an opening to insert the square nuts in the center of the top channel.

-edit- I'm not quite fast enough
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

Post Thanks / Like
    I get guys don't want to mess with using those holes because too far and yes the glass will crack. But there's also no reason not to use the intended holes with just a little bit of care. (1) Put the taps away. The right size threads will work. IMO what guys have interpreted as needing tapped due to plating in the holes or whatever was because they were using the wrong size screws. I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's a question of SAE and metric. Your Factory Five visor kit may not have the right ones. (2) Use a depth gauge and adjust each screw length so it doesn't go beyond the metal frame. I measure them one at a time and typically just takes a touch on the face of a disk sander to adjust. A little blue Loctite, don't get carried away tightening them (that brass frame again...) and they'll be fine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    What others have said of Jeff K’s idea works very well.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    CFranks,
    Thanks for digging that up; you saved me from having to do a bunch of typing and photo posting

I actually just broke out the hardware to do this on the London Cobra Show raffle car last night...don't forget to buy your tickets!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all and Jeff for the great solution.
    Made my day!
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CFranks View Post
    I followed Jeff Kleiner’s approach using the channel on top and square nuts instead of the screw holes. Works great and no risk of shattering glass:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...FFR-sun-visors
    i used Jeff's plan. worked out great.
    MK4 #9191, Gen 3 Coyote, T56, 2015+ IRS, ABS, 12.88 Wilwood's, FFR Tubular Front LCA's, FFR Spindles

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the visors on. No pics, since it is very common. Visors came with some screws smaller than 6-32. Just for fun, I threaded one in the back of the frame. It threaded in very easily and was slightly tempted to use them. They were too small to thread into the 6-32 square nut. A trip to the hardware store and some time on the grinder to shorten the eight stainless screws got me back to square one. I have some blue loctite that is in tube like chapstick. No runs, drips, etc, so the plastic was safe. Got everything loctited, assembled and installed.
    Thanks Jeff for the procedure and advise from those that posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    The sun visor crews are a weird UK thread that was common in the '60's. 4BA