Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gas pedal location

Post Thanks / Like

Gas pedal location

I got my seats located on the temporarily installed floor pan. I have sat on a life jacket to crank the car, but never in the seats as they should be located. Besides the contortions needed to get in and out, my gas pedal is too close to the brake. I can see under hard braking, my foot overriding on the gas pedal. I have the drive by wire pedal with the FF pedal bolted on.
    Rather than trying to bend offset into the FF arm, it looks like l might be able to put the arm on the inside of the Ford arm.
    My front floor pan is still loose, so I should be able to work in there OK. It looks like I need the pedal as close to the inside foot box wall, as possible. Maybe just enough room for heat shield and carpet. I guess foot size/width has a lot to do with what will work. I am open for suggestions. Thanks,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the Wilwood clutch and brake pedals, move the pads to the left if you haven't already. You can see what I mean if you look at how the clutch pedal pad is attached in the picture below. That will give you some additional space between the brake and gas pedal.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 02-18-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Wilwood pedals and used a cut off wheel to cut them vertically between the larger holes narrowing them by 1/3 of their width.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have the Wilwood pedal kit. Thanks for the advise, but I do not have the pedals mounted on the brake and clutch arms. With just the brake arm, pressing it, my foot too easily over rides the gas pedal. I will see if I can get a picture today. Thanks again.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the comments to move the Wilwood pedals over by using the different set of holes. It can help. I've also seen guys just cut them narrower as mentioned. Also I've see some cut the bottom corner of the brake pedal at an angle. That's often where your foot catches. Two other suggestions: The AC pedals that Mike Forte sells aren't too much narrower through the center. But do taper at the top and bottom and I've found they provide a little more room. Plus look pretty cool and bolt right onto the Wilwood pedal arms. Picture below.

Also you'll probably find that shoes make a big difference. Like many, I've specifically sought out shoes that were as narrow as possible as still were comfortable for my size 11 wide feet. I have a couple pairs of shoes that I drive with and are fine. The rest get left in the closet.

Last edited by edwardb; 02-19-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just throwing this out there.

Shoe selection is also key. Does not matter what you do with the pedals if you are driving with big wide running shoes.

Find a good narrow driving shoe or narrow soled sneaker. I drive in a pair of Vans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.c...ing-shoes/amp/
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 02-19-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely something to consider. Thanks for the link. Maybe I can find a color to match the car, when I decide on the color.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have big feet. I have to wear driving shoes. Puma makes "casual" driving shoes, which means without nomex. They really help.

If you are into performance driving, don't forget about setting up for heel-toe shifting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Maybe I can find a color to match the car, when I decide on the color.
    That's next-level, right there. I never considered color matching my clothes!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about this, blue Shelby shirt, blue and white stripes on the car and blue suede shoes.
    I did a quick look at Van's. Everything is in medium width. Probably have to EEE my search.
    Almost forgot, blue and white striped overalls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I have size 13s I went with the all of the above method. I shortened the FFR pedal and modified the attachment to the Coyote lever arm. The brake and clutch pedals are trimmed and shifted left. Each modifications gains a fraction of an inch but they add up and make a huge difference. The driving shoes also make a big difference.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    That would make a difference for me. My drive by wire pedal has a plastic arm, so I have to do the work on the bolt FF arm and pedal. Your accel pedal looks to be close to the box wall, like I need. Tell me about the wear/heat plate you have on the box wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    That would make a difference for me. My drive by wire pedal has a plastic arm, so I have to do the work on the bolt FF arm and pedal. Your accel pedal looks to be close to the box wall, like need. Tell me about the wear/heat plate you have on the box wall.
    We have the same drive by wire pedal. I cut the plastic arm so it was just long enough to get two bolts into it and then made my own arm to locate the pedal where I wanted it. My goal was to move it back for more leg room since I moved my brake and clutch pedals back 2". In the process I moved it to the right a fraction. The stainless panel on the foot box wall is just a wear pad. I used lizard skin for heat and sound. I shaved the carpet a bit and was going to stitch and glue a rubber wear pad in place but I thought my shoe might drag on the rubber. I rolled the edges on the stainless and used countersunk bolts with nutserts in the foot box wall. I'm 6'6" and have a lot of leg and foot stuffed in that area so I had to spend a little more time modifying everything I could in the drivers footbox. Not necessary for everyone but it all worked for me.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info on the side plate. Here are some shots of where I am now. 20190220_101742_resized.jpg20190220_101657_resized.jpg20190220_101742_resized.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I shaved the carpet a bit and was going to stitch and glue a rubber wear pad in place but I thought my shoe might drag on the rubber. I rolled the edges on the stainless and used countersunk bolts with nutserts in the foot box wall.
    -Steve
    The SS pad looks great and is a nice solution. I've purchased from these guys a couple times. http://www.heelpadwarehouse.com/heel-pads/. It's some type of hard plastic or vinyl. Similar to what's commonly installed in DD's. Shoes don't drag. If you want to go that way. This is from my currently underway Coupe build with one of the pads glued and stitched to the side wall carpet. Back on topic, the modified Coyote accelerator pedal is done using the cut off piece from the stock pedal, similar to what Factory Five now describes in their instructions. Works well. I moved the brake pedal to the left using the available holes since this picture was taken. Fits me well.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the option, edwardb. Neat job, as always, from you.