BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LCA mounting point too narrow

Post Thanks / Like

LCA mounting point too narrow

I'm test-fitting the LCA bearings in their mounting points tonight. Three of the four bearings fit with extra room to spare (as expected) but the driver's side front mounting point is narrower than the other three by a full 0.2" according to my calipers, and the bearing will not fit in the mount at all. Now, I've read that it's not uncommon for the mounts to sometimes be too narrow and require spreading, but this seems like a pretty big discrepancy on this one mount. So if I try to spread it, I'm assuming I don't need to spread it as far as the others... just enough to get the bearing in, correct? Would it OK to install three of the four with washers to take up the extra space, and this one without?

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No washers - there should be sleeves that take the clamp load from the tabs to the spherical bearing.
    The tight one is a no-go. Probably just stay with the poly bushing at that location if you can get it to fit. Otherwise you would need to shorten the control arm tube, the bearing tube and the sleeves and re-machine a circlip groove in the bearing shell. Sounds like a lot but may be easier than relocating a chassis tab.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply Mark. By 'sleeves' are you referring to the copper-colored tapered inserts that go in either end of the bearing? If so, it's hard to tell from the photos but they're in there on both sides in all photos. The one on the circlip side barely sticks out of the outer bearing tube, while the one on the other side sticks out quite a bit. Would it be feasible to try to spread the mount a bit and also make up some space by grinding down the tapered insert on the non-circlip side (the one that sticks out a ways)?

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would massage the rear mount ear on the tight one. I'd leave the front ear alone. I like to use that front one as a reference point for the overall position of the LCA. It being a big flat plate that also covers the front of the 4 inch tube makes it easy to visually assure that it isn't bent.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd share those pictures and explanation with Factory Five. That looks like an assembly/welding error to me. More than just the typical metal moving when welded. Don't know how it could happen since that stuff is all fixtured. But somehow looks like it did. Since you don't have a powder coated frame, it could be moved to the proper location and re-welded IMO before whatever finish you plan for the chassis. They should work with you in getting that resolved. Again my opinion. You're early in the build. Do it right.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I sent over some photos and talked to the guys over at FFR. I actually called twice, as the first person I spoke with was pretty nonchalant about the issue and I wasn't fully confident that I got the answer I wanted. After continuing to mull it around in my head for a while (yes, I tend to overthink things sometimes) I called back a second time and got the same answer again. Their advice is to just spread out the tabs until the spherical bearing fits in there. They claim that this is normal so I guess if they're not concerned I won't concern myself either. Time for a quick run to the hardware store for some allthread and a few nuts and washers. Fingers crossed.