Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil pan for 351w vs motor mount ratio.

Post Thanks / Like

Oil pan for 351w vs motor mount ratio.

Hey everyone,
    First thread, (I'll do a full intro later) I plan to build a MK4 with a 427w. I have the pan, Aviaid 7.5" (155-55356 Original 289 Cobra Pan for 351W).

Before I buy a set of solid mounts for the engine I'm curious if anyone can help me decide if I must leave the engine at "stock Foxbody" height or if I can get away with a 1" drop mount.

Thank you for your time and wealth of experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your 7.5 inch pan could be below the frame rails with standard mounts, lower mounts will be a problem. Search the forum, there are a number of discussions on oil pans and how they fit in relation to the frame rails. if memory is correct a 7 inch pan is best.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Something else that enters the discussion is what intake manifold you intend to use. The Edelbrock Air Gap is about an inch higher than others and confounds the use of an oval-shaped air cleaner—more things to think about than just the motor mounts and pan.
    Welcome and Happy Trails, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running a 427w (dart block) with fixed solid mounts and needed a 7" pan to not be below the frame. I went with this Champ. If you went with poly mounts you might be good with the 7.5" pan. FWIW I am also running the PF4 EFI and had no hood clearance issues.

https://www.champpans.com/products/p/cp351lt-rr/
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    I am running a 427w (dart block) with fixed solid mounts and needed a 7" pan to not be below the frame. I went with this Champ. If you went with poly mounts you might be good with the 7.5" pan. FWIW I am also running the PF4 EFI and had no hood clearance issues.

https://www.champpans.com/products/p/cp351lt-rr/
    I am also running a 427W (Boss block though instead of Dart) and saw the same issue. My 7.5" Milodon pan was too tall, I'm going with the 6.5" Aviaid pan to be safe.
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the replies. I plan to use the Accufab TB with a Victor intake. The TB is half as tall as a carb (guessing) so I think I will be ok with the standard solid mounts. I will probably use the Maximum Motorsport solids. I might even go as far as having a few options available during the install and return the pieces that don't fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has the drop mounts. The pan goes all the way to just above the bottom of the frame. I have a 7.5 inch pan. I ordered my mounts from LMR: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6038DS/1979...d-Motor-Mounts

The only problem I had with the Windsor based motor was the driver's side header. I used FFR and had to bang a small dent on the underside of the header to give me distance between the header and the footbox. Otherwise everything else lines up including the TKX and pinion angle.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    You will have big issues if you run 7.5" pan as it will be below frame. My 6. 5 Aviaid pan is about 1/2" above the frame and I am running a 427w also with no hood clearance issues. Aviaid makes this 6.5" pan and that is what I am running along with the FFR supplied engine mounts. Look at part number SKU: 155-55363 I believe the 289 frame had higher engine mounts and the pan you have is for a 289 frame with a 351w block.

Check it out here: https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store...s_sbf-ss2.html

Also, the Aviaid pans are great, like really great! They do have an issue in the corners where they meet the rear and front mains... be sure to use a bit of RTV in those areas.

Ted
    Last edited by Ted G; 01-03-2024 at 11:05 AM.
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting my pan doesn't stick past the frame and it is a 7.5".....But if there's something shorter available I would buy that.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    For any pans that do go slightly below the frame rail, has anyone fabricated some kind of metal guard that goes across the 4" tube for added protection?
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning a front "blade" along the 4" front crossmember and then tubes welded to the main 4" frame rails. The pan ends up at about the same height off the road as it was for the first 60k miles of this motor. For me, maybe not for you, I'm more concerned with height above the road than I am drop below the frame.

So I cheat and modify the frame.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    I'm planning a front "blade" along the 4" front crossmember and then tubes welded to the main 4" frame rails. The pan ends up at about the same height off the road as it was for the first 60k miles of this motor. For me, maybe not for you, I'm more concerned with height above the road than I am drop below the frame.

So I cheat and modify the frame.

Jim
    How much ground clearance you thinking you will have?
    ----------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Roadster delivered 8/27/23
    Chevrolet Performance LS3
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,
    A bit less than 4" but more than 3.5" to the pan. I expect ride height at about 4.5" to the 4" tubes at the front.
    I expect the welded runners alongside the front sump pan to be about 1" below the 4" tubes. The front sump pan helps. Not changing pans as the current Canton fits around the 4-bolt #1 & #5 mains.
    I have to fit a 351W block, Vic Jr or possibly a SuperVic manifold both with a fiber .5" spacer and a drop base 14x3 aircleaner. Right now this combo fits under the hood but is close. Might require a 14+" hole in the hood and a larger scoop.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.