Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quick Time bell housing engine / block plate & clutch fork paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quick Time bell housing engine / block plate & clutch fork paint

I have a small batch of parts that are too large for me to powder coat myself so I am dropping them off at the powder coater. My batch is small so it won't cost any more to add the block plate and clutch fork to the batch. Is there any reason that I should NOT have these parts coated?
    Thanks
    Randy

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Painting or powder coating these parts should not affect form, fit, or function so I can't think of a reason not to unless this is a SFI certified bell and you need to keep it that way (if so, the SFI sticker would be removed to PC the bell).
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be careful with powder coating the bell housing and block plate because of the very tight alignment tolerances. Uneven powder coat thickness (not hard to do) can throw you out of spec. Often instructions say to remove the powder coat in the contacting areas if it measures out of spec. QuickTimes already come finished, so not clear why you would want to power coat it. If that's what you're asking. Maybe you're not. The block plate is completely invisible except the edge between the block and the bell. The clutch fork also is nearly completely hidden except the very end. Don't really see the point of that either. I'm a big powder coat guy with my builds, but these parts for me aren't candidates.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'd be careful with powder coating the bell housing and block plate because of the very tight alignment tolerances. Uneven powder coat thickness (not hard to do) can throw you out of spec. Often instructions say to remove the powder coat in the contacting areas if it measures out of spec. QuickTimes already come finished, so not clear why you would want to power coat it. If that's what you're asking. Maybe you're not. The block plate is completely invisible except the edge between the block and the bell. The clutch fork also is nearly completely hidden except the very end. Don't really see the point of that either. I'm a big powder coat guy with my builds, but these parts for me aren't candidates.
    Thanks for the info, no powder coat for those parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you do happen to powder-coat or paint the block plate, and you do too good of a job on it, you will insulate the starter from ground - on which case you must run a ground cable from a the starter mounting bolt to the frame or the battery negative terminal. Powder-coating the clutch fork would be a sign of OCD.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    If you do happen to powder-coat or paint the block plate, and you do too good of a job on it, you will insulate the starter from ground - on which case you must run a ground cable from a the starter mounting bolt to the frame or the battery negative terminal. Powder-coating the clutch fork would be a sign of OCD.
    Yes Mark I have a problem. I laugh at myself when I look back and see how much time I spend on things no one will ever see. I do like powder coating!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bluse View Post
    Yes Mark I have a problem. I laugh at myself when I look back and see how much time I spend on things no one will ever see. I do like powder coating!
    I'm with you! I spent a good 30 minutes cleaning weld spatter off the frame around the roll bar mounts the other day, and then literally started laughing out loud at myself.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.