FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Convince Me I Want A Heidts Valve

Post Thanks / Like

Convince Me I Want A Heidts Valve

I'm thinking of replacing my FF5 power steering lines with braided teflon hoses after seeing discussions and recommendations on another thread.

That would also be a good time to install a Heidts valve but I'm wondering if I should go for it. I'm not looking to race but I do see touring, and I like the idea of having options when it comes to handling.

Would like to hear any pros and cons from those who have them.

Thank you.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a reman rack, reman pump, stock lines to a summit oil cooler, stock high pressure. The rack I have is a 2.5 Lock2lock rebuild from oreileys for 90 bucks. My entire power steering setup cost 300 bucks including the billet pulley kit. I dont have a valve and the car feels, steers, and handles great. The parts all look brand new and they are not donor parts. I dont race either. I do plan on using custom lines made at my local CAT equipment dealer for pretty looking as well as inexpensive upgrades but dont feel the valve will be necessary. Spend the money on other mods/features.

3. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Likes RJD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have and use a Heidt's valve. In my case I run a 2.25 turn rack and make adjustments depending on what I'm doing with the car---on the street I reduce the pressure, autocross I go to full assist and on track it's usually somewhere in between. The car drives the same no matter what meaning that the amount of assist doesn't change the handling or stability only the amount of effort it takes to turn the wheel. I like to feel a bit more resistance at the wheel when on the street or highway but when autocrossing you need all the assist available for the fast transitions. Cars that I've built for customers have all been primarily street cruisers and none have gotten the valve. Most owners have been perfectly happy with full assist on 3.0 turn racks. After driving a bit one owner requested that I cut the relief spring to provide a little heavier feel. In the end my opinion is that for a street car that isn't going to see other use I wouldn't bother with the Heidt's---if you find you want a little less assist simply trim the spring.

Jeff

5. Thanks TexasAviator thanked for this post
    Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using one for 20yrs. It has been one of the nicest amenities I've done. Rack is a 2.25 quick ratio rack and without the valve, it's like taming a loose fire hose. I've switched to a Type II pump and still use the valve. I open track as well as take very long drives and have no fatigue. I've driven manual racks and they suck! imo. I've talked a few of my buddies into retrofitting after letting them drive mine. Having the ability to soften or strengthen the pressure has an advantage over nothing. I'd put one in. Now is much easier.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

7. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fitted one years ago on my Mk1. Last year I relocated the UCAs to get a load of caster and ended up dialing in maximum boost due to the increased steering effort. The Heidts valve looks cool but its not doing anything any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Heidts valve on my Mk1. I never track the car, just street cruise. I set the amount of assist where I like it and haven't touched the valve since. In hindsight for how I use my car, I could have done without it and the extra hoses. I'm using all braided lines so it's not ugly. Unless you have a need to be changing the amount of assist often, I wouldn't bother with it. JMO
    Last edited by mburger; 02-20-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

10. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used one, glad I did. I have a quick ratio rack, and needed to slow things down on the street. Haven't tracked the car yet, but when I do, I'll open up the valve to quicken things up. If all you plan is street driving, cutting the spring works OK. I think mine looks good.
    MSD box.jpg

12. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I drove my roadster for about 3 years (15k miles) without one installed. I really like the PS, but I wanted a little more "feel" on our twisties cruises on the backroads and a little more resistance on the highway. (also great forbacking out of the drive & parking lot manuvering)
    I installed my Heidts valve and have about 10k miles on it and really like the adjustability. Backroads and highway feel much better. I tried a couple different settings (very easy to adjust with a wrench and twist), I keep is about 1/3 PS assist and like this setting. I can also turn it full PS for occasional Auto-X. Just another option to better tune your driving experience.

This is very easy to install while you're building and still realitively easy even after your build is complete, especially if you're running braided lines to begin with.
    Also, if you install it and don't like it, there are no downsides.

btw, I installed mine after I saw Rich's setup & location, very accessible for adjustment.
    Last edited by MPTech; 02-20-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

14. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After seeing this post:
    Yes, you do need a power steering fluid cooler

I'm re-considering adding a cooler as well. Although, 25k miles and no issues.

btw, I can recommend the Honda PS fuild, quiets the PS whine down considerably.
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    You all kind of have me wanting to cut the spring now. I dont mind the feel of the car but as you all have stated I may have numbed the feeling of the car a bit much. You all got me thinking.

MPTech, thats a good fluid for PS, no matter what you do DO NOT put power steering fluid in a Ford pump. Use what MP said or use Ford Type F ATF fluid, it states on the back of the bottle made for power steering. I researched this quite a bit and many Ford pumps whine and fail because of the average Ford owner not paying attention to the fluid in the power steering system.

I used this fluid. Steering is quiet and smooth. https://www.pepboys.com/castrol-type...roduct/9908743

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I considered cutting the spring, but I thought if I didn't like the feel, there's no going back.
    The valve makes tuning it really simple. And I can go back to full PS for Auto-X, then set it back to 1/3 after the event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    I considered cutting the spring, but I thought if I didn't like the feel, there's no going back.
    There actually is going back---if you go too far simply add a couple of small washers under the spring. But...the cut spring mod is a "set it and forget it" proposition that doesn't allow for quick adjustability.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the spring mod using the measurements that you find on the forum. I am happy with it for street and autocross. I did it during the build, so have nothing to compare to. It is hard to argue with having adjustability.

I keep thinking about a cooler, more for the looks in the front. I just couldn't do a non-functional one, so would do it for P/S.

I actually wouldn't want more boost for autocross. I wouldn't want to loose feel and the resistance helps keep you smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you guys say "1/3" assist, how many turns out is that? Right now I'm 4-1/2 turns out but I'd like a bit less assist. Afraid to go too far since there doesn't appear to be a stop when unscrewing the knob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    I'm thinking of replacing my FF5 power steering lines with braided teflon hoses after seeing discussions and recommendations on another thread.

That would also be a good time to install a Heidts valve but I'm wondering if I should go for it. I'm not looking to race but I do see touring, and I like the idea of having options when it comes to handling.

Would like to hear any pros and cons from those who have them.

Thank you.
    I have one with some stainless lines attached that was on my street rod for awhile until I went with a variable assist rack. I will sell cheap if you want it. pm me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    When you guys say "1/3" assist, how many turns out is that? Right now I'm 4-1/2 turns out but I'd like a bit less assist. Afraid to go too far since there doesn't appear to be a stop when unscrewing the knob.
    Dave,
    For street driving I back mine 3 to 3 1/2 turns out. Autocross I crank it all the way down for full boost. Several times when leaving the auto-x venue I have forgotten to change it and after a few miles realize that I have more assist than usual (I just keep on going because the car drives the same, just less resistance at the wheel). Conversely one time I forgot to dial the assist up at an even and as soon as I hit the first element realized "Oh crap, I can't keep up with this without more boost"

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one a long time ago and removed it. Not sure exactly what was going on but once in a while in a parking lot idling along the assist would go away maybe 50%. I am running a 99 Explorer pump so that could be the difference. Pulled the valve and cut the spring. Cut it a little too much so shimmed it w/ 2 small washers. Haven't touched it in 9 years. I run the Honda PS fluid for the same 9 yrs. First summer of autocross, I was losing assist toward the end of runs on 90+ deg days. Honda fluid fixed it about 90% but I soon added a cooler. Put the cooler in the return line from the rack so pressure is lower and you can use hose w/ hose clamps if you want.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I'm going for it. As Avalanche325 noted, it's hard to argue with adjustability.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    You all kind of have me wanting to cut the spring now. I dont mind the feel of the car but as you all have stated I may have numbed the feeling of the car a bit much. You all got me thinking.

MPTech, thats a good fluid for PS, no matter what you do DO NOT put power steering fluid in a Ford pump. Use what MP said or use Ford Type F ATF fluid, it states on the back of the bottle made for power steering. I researched this quite a bit and many Ford pumps whine and fail because of the average Ford owner not paying attention to the fluid in the power steering system.

I used this fluid. Steering is quiet and smooth. https://www.pepboys.com/castrol-type...roduct/9908743
    Not sure that I understand your post. You say Honda PS fluid is good, then you say do not use PS fluid. Can you clarify please.

Thanks.

Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    If you still need one I have a new one on the shelf.
    87 LX Donor bought 8/10, Kit ordered 1/12, delivery May 11 2012.
    No more Wife happy Life.