Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Members in Illinois/Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Members in Illinois/Indiana

I just joined the forum because my son and I are thinking about buying an MK 4. We live in Champaign, IL. First though, we would like to see one already built or in process and talk to the builder. We can drive to just about anywhere in Illinois or the eastern half of Indiana.

Dennis Taylor

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gateway Cobra Club is in St. Louis and very active. We have a couple builds in-process, ranging from still installing aluminum to being painted (you could see a completed / licensed go-kart before the body goes back on shortly. We have many FFRs in our club (mine included).
    When the weather gets better, you can bet we'll be cruising regularly on the weekends. We usually schedule a couple Spring cruises up to the Great River Road and head down to the Loading Dock in Alton.
    Let me know if this is a driveable distance and we can schedule something on a weekend to visit a couple garages and you & your son can ride shotgun in a couple if you like, we always have a couple open passenger seats.

Good Luck on your build with your son!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out https://www.londoncobrashow.com/ is you haven't already. You're 4-5 hours away from a huge gathering and lots of owners that are happy to share and usually give rides. Plus mfg displays. I went a couple times before taking the plunge.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-20-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your response. You are certainly within driving distance for us. I'll wait a little though to see if there is anyone closer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Near Robinson IL - driving in gel coat. PM if you want to phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    edwardb's suggestion is EXCELLENT, make plans to attend the London Cobra show, especially if you are still in the planning stage.
    There is an incredible variety of builds and information. And EVERY Cobra owner is more than happy to tell you about HIS car! (You can even get a burnout ride for fun too! Your son would love it and the money goes to a great cause).
    I took my 25 year old son and 80 year old dad the first year (before I started my build), then 2 years later my dad & I drove the 400-ish mile trip in Gel-coat 3 months after my roadster was registered. He still talks about it.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Bloomington Indiana and have an ever changing variety of cars here for builds &/or body and paint. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like to visit sometime. I concur with what edwardb and MPTech said, for someone who is contemplating getting into one of these cars one of the best things they can do is hit up the London show gathering on Friday and Saturday.

Jeff

8. Likes garydmx29 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Wheaton, IL. 25 miles west of Chicago. My car is in go-kart stage. You are welcome to visit if you'd like! I'm probably 3 hours from Champaign. There are at least two other roadsters in my vicinity as well. Send a PM if you'd like to connect!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount