FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Welding on the frame

Post Thanks / Like

Welding on the frame

I've got a situation where I need to do some welding on the frame, but I thought I remembered that electronics could be damaged when welding. The electronic ignition module is mounted, but not hooked up, and the fuel injection cpu is mounted, but also not hooked up. Is this an issue, or am I worrying about nothing?
    Thanks.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as I posted on the other site: Theoretically, with the grounds disconnected it should be OK. But in the past when MSD ignition box failures were being discussed, I read on MSD's tech support site to physically remove their devices from any chassis that was being welded. Maybe not a bad idea, but if there's a lot of effort, not too practical. The other recommendation is to clamp your weld ground as close to the weld area as possible. Modern cars have tons of electronics, and those are the usual recommendations. (1) Disconnect the grounds, (2) Ground the welder close to the weld site.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick: To me, if access to remove the ignition and CPU boxes allows, it makes good sense to remove them from the chassis and disconnect all wiring form them. There should be no surge that affects them, but if there is, it will be too late (and expensive). Ask me how I know!

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've welded on my frame with no evidence of damage to my MSD ignition box. (Fingers crossed...)
    Mk 1.5, 347 with Sniper EFI, T-5, 3-Link with VPM Rear Sway Bar, Power Steering with Hydraboost Brakes, Under Car Exhaust, SAI Mod, Rear Fender Flares, Dropped Trunk Mod, ... (Sold September 2019)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all about the ground path. If you have the welding ground clamp at one end of the car and are welding at the other end of the car.......................Ground the welder as close as you can to the point you are welding to lessen the chance of stray current. And when at all possible remove any sensitive equipment from the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. It will be a bit of a pain to remove both boxes, but I guess it beats the other possibility of having to remove them to replace them. Just an inattentive moment, and I cut too deep, so now I have to repair the frame tube that I cut into. Two steps forward, three steps back.

Rick