BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Hot Rod Roll Bars

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod Roll Bars

Hey all. We were recently contacted by a customer looking for roll bars for a 33. Luckily we had a couple of Roadster roll bars that we never welded the rear stub too. So we cleaned these up, and sent them out. I guess I was unaware that Factory 5 is no longer selling these? So at this point we are just seeing if there is any interest in these. Let us know and we'll see what we can do.

20190218_123704 by Frank Maslowski, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    YES!!!! Looking for something strictly cosmetic - two hoops with a way of mounting them.
    Tim Collins generously posted some plans for his solution. post #13 on this page https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Build-summary
    I've asked around locally to try and find someone to build that but have had no luck whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was also looking for a pair. In my files, I had a photo and a drawing. I do not think they are related. Tim Whittaker at Kootenai also made a nice one, but he told me he needed
    more customers to fabricate more.
    roll bars.jpgRoll bars-14-Tube v2.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBB Larry View Post
    I was also looking for a pair. In my files, I had a photo and a drawing. I do not think they are related. Tim Whittaker at Kootenai also made a nice one, but he told me he needed
    more customers to fabricate more.
    roll bars.jpgRoll bars-14-Tube v2.jpg
    Would be interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, we can supply weld in stubs for these but honestly 1-3/4" DOM tube is all you need. We're not going to get into a single bolt in unit as shown in the drawing above. Figured since we have the hydraulic bender and the dies we could help a few builders out who don't have a local fab shop to bend them. We can also provide powder coating for the bars if you choose. These are 2" DOM and our bender will not bend stainless. The centers of the stubs need to be 12" +/- .125 or so. And I think we can keep shipping to most of the lower 48 to $50 depending where in the country you are from SoCal.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I think what you're saying is...
    - supply the hoops in 2" DOM, on 12" center (must be something around a 0.1" wall)
    - 1.75" OD stubs that can be welded onto something for the hoops to slip over.

Is that correct?
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, the 2" DOM is .125 wall thickness and by the time I clean up the inside you have a few thousands of an inch clearance. It fits right over the 1.75" DOM just like in the MK3 and before Roadsters. Correct, the stubs would weld in to your liking, centered behind the seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just sent an email (or maybe a PM?) to Mark at Breeze with the same question (he shows 1 3/4" OD roll bars for roadsters on his website), but have not had a response yet. So, yes, I am interested. I would prefer 1 3/4" OD, but could work with 2" if that's what is on offer. Have you worked out a price yet?
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Steve, the 2" DOM is .125 wall thickness and by the time I clean up the inside you have a few thousands of an inch clearance. It fits right over the 1.75" DOM just like in the MK3 and before Roadsters. Correct, the stubs would weld in to your liking, centered behind the seats.
    Cool, I'd go for that. Just a thought, not sure if you looked at the Tim Collins design I linked to above but in his implementation, the "stubs" are larger than the hoops. That way the hoops insert into the stubs and the stubs can be welded in a number of places on the outside for support, not just on the bottom. Thoughts?
    Thanks, Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    the "stubs" are larger than the hoops. That way the hoops insert into the stubs and the stubs can be welded in a number of places on the outside for support, not just on the bottom. Thoughts?
    Thanks, Steve
    I think it would make the actual roll bar a lot more difficult to install. This type of roll bar with no 3rd leg is minimal at best for protection and the bar itself would bend over before one of the mounts let go.
    Last edited by i.e.427; 02-22-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Understood, wasn't thinking the extra support for safety, just sturdiness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    I just sent an email (or maybe a PM?) to Mark at Breeze with the same question (he shows 1 3/4" OD roll bars for roadsters on his website), but have not had a response yet. So, yes, I am interested. I would prefer 1 3/4" OD, but could work with 2" if that's what is on offer. Have you worked out a price yet?
    Keith
    Keith, we don't have an 1-3/4" die set. Doesn't mean we couldn't get one, just that we would have to see how many people would want one. On the 33 my personal feeling is the 1-3/4" looks a little small. First thought on the cost is somewhere around $200 per side with a powder coated finish but we'd really have to see what our profit margin is.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to the trouble of building and welding go a little farther and make a rollbar that well do some good!!

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said, I can work with the 2" roll bars. I would not want them powder coated though. I'm having the whole chassis coated in a different color and will have them done them at the same time. Please PM me when you work out the details.

Also, where in the I.E. are you located? A road trip might be less expensive than shipping the parts, and it would give me an excuse to meet you and see your shop.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post

Also, where in the I.E. are you located? A road trip might be less expensive than shipping the parts, and it would give me an excuse to meet you and see your shop.

Keith
    The shop is in Upland Keith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did we get to on this? Would really like to get a set.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Where did we get to on this?
    Steve
    Well Steve, once the safety police made an appearance I figured I would just back off. And for you, being outside the Cont. U.S., you could most likely find a local metal shop to bend you up a set less expensive than I could supply them to you. If that's not the case, I have no problem working something out with/for you. Let me know.

Frank