Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: moser rear end build from FFR

Post Thanks / Like

moser rear end build from FFR

i am debating to order my rear end either from FFR or directly from Moser.

Does anyone know what the setup is when ordered through FFR?

what differential?

c-Clips or non c clips?

differential brand/type?

axle spline count?

thanks in advance

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just noticed this one had no replies. I don't have all your answers, but, I believe the FFR 3 link diff does not have the triangulated four link ears. The Moser 3 link set up as offered on their website does not have the triangulated four link ears. Obviously this depends on which version of the chassis you have ordered also. I just happened to get off the phone with Moser and, if you ask for it, they can supply their large tube 3 link with the 4 link ears on the housing. Until I inquired this was not available. I won't go into why I'm ordering a rear that can be either 4 link or three link, but it seems like that would have been a natural path for assembly options. I don't feel it adds that much to the cost.
    As for C-clip axles they do shift around a little when cornering and they will knock back the brake pads a little more. It may seem insignificant but it makes a difference when you are pushing the car and tapping the brakes entering a corner after a slalom.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Back in 2015 I ordered a rear from MOSER because at that time the folks Factory Five were having some issues with getting rear axles.

My only suggestion is to try to avoid the C-Clip set up if possible since axle retention is a big thing, especially if you are going to road race, auto cross or even drag race the car. Also, If Moser still offers the TSD-500 (Dana 44) I'd steer clear of it because it will force you to shorten an already short drive shaft.

Finally, for the record I really like my Dana-44 pumpkin, but my drive-line set up is totally custom so my driveshaft length is A-Okay!

Good Luck From The Dark-Dart Side!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8m...4orIm7w/videos
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-22-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whether you order from FFR or Moser, it will come direct from Moser. Here is what I got two years ago (things could be different now). I swapped the diff cover from the stamped chrome one that came with the rear end to the cast cover.

Mine came with a Traction Lock diff and 30-spline c-clip Street Axles.

I went with the FFR/Moser option because all the bracketry was welded on and in the right place and the 3" tubes are fully welded.
    Last edited by Papa; 03-23-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Thanks erlihemi thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up the bare housing from Moser today. I already had been running a Fox body donor rear that had fresh internals so I'll be swapping the guts this weekend. The material thickness on the Moser far exceeds the tired Fox body housing I had. More importantly the 3 link banana is square to the axle. The FFR clamp on I had was not quite square to the assembly. It looks like Moser may be casting the housings with both the center top link and the 4 link "ears". Mine looks like the Center top link was machined off.
    Regardless of what they are doing in the fab shop, the pics show you can get your cake in any flavor with the frosting of your choice.
    Moser3L(361x640).jpgMoser3LS(361x640).jpgMoser88(361x640).jpg