Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 671 / 871 Blower in a hotrod??

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

671 / 871 Blower in a hotrod??

I have seen one post on this... has anyone else done this? would like to pick anyone's brain on this... getting ready to do this in the truck and need to it fast.

thanks in advance
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    A 6-71 can be very addictive. My wife's is a little thirsty but worth it. I think the sweet spot is 600-700HP. For more I'd go with the 8-71.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking for fitment questions and lessons learned installation.

thanks
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend that has one on a SBC, his name is Greg I’ll see if he’ll get a hold of you. PM me your contact number please.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marv; 02-25-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    2012 FFR 33 HR, won Best Use of Chrome Huntington Beach 2014; 345 HP AOD
    Deep Impact Blue
    2018 FFR 35 Pick Up, building, getting there.

5. Likes shmelty liked this post
    EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are you looking to do?

It looks like you have a 427, I'm running a 4.6 DOHC so not sure I can help with fitment on that engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arrowhead; 02-25-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd recommend contacting Blower Drive Services since I'm assuming that it is this is going on a SBF.

671 Huffer For 351 Windsor Style Block:
    http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/st...-1v-p-975.html
    http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/st...-3v-p-977.html

Also, The Blower Shop is another good source and even have Blower Spacers (2" & 4") to jack things up a bit.

https://theblowershop.com/search-res...cer&page_num=2

These shops should be able to fix you up with the manifold, blower and the goodies you need.

Good Luck From The Dark-Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-25-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I like the near instantaneous power I gave a blower about 2 minutes of consideration and got over it. The 6-71 is like a bad girlfriend...Looks cool, but you have to listen to it whine all day and feed it money (fuel) continuously. That said, I would look for a lower profile screw type that is more efficient. A lower profile unit with MPI lets you see across the intersection at the guy running the light. Something like a Holley Dominator ECU lets you profile the ignition curve and even add paddle shifter controls. Now that fun for a price. The debate over 6-71 versus 8-71 is futile for a street motor. You don't NEED an 8-71 on a small block. You may want something like an Eaton or Whipple unit with integrated intercooler if there is one for your application. Stop looking at Car magazines and search the Marine applications for good intercoolers. We were putting coolers under the 8V-92's in the early 80's. We ran 2 turbos through a bypass on the 8V-92 Diesel as a Factory set up. If you just want a cool chrome 6-71 sticking through the hood and poor driveability you can do that in a weekend and dial back the timing. Fuel rate needs to increase exponentially. Figure double for 10lbs of boost using a roots blower. If you want something that wont break the nose off the crank and can fit behind the steering rack in an already built hot rod look at blowers that only need a 10 rib belt to drive them. 10 ribs means you aren't wasting 100hp and raising the intake temperature 100 degrees also.
    Now everyone knows I hate the 6-71 on a 4 cycle pump gas motor...

Good luck!

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    As much as I like the near instantaneous power I gave a blower about 2 minutes of consideration and got over it. The 6-71 is like a bad girlfriend...Looks cool, but you have to listen to it whine all day and feed it money (fuel) continuously. That said, I would look for a lower profile screw type that is more efficient. A lower profile unit with MPI lets you see across the intersection at the guy running the light. Something like a Holley Dominator ECU lets you profile the ignition curve and even add paddle shifter controls. Now that fun for a price. The debate over 6-71 versus 8-71 is futile for a street motor. You don't NEED an 8-71 on a small block. You may want something like an Eaton or Whipple unit with integrated intercooler if there is one for your application. Stop looking at Car magazines and search the Marine applications for good intercoolers. We were putting coolers under the 8V-92's in the early 80's. We ran 2 turbos through a bypass on the 8V-92 Diesel as a Factory set up. If you just want a cool chrome 6-71 sticking through the hood and poor driveability you can do that in a weekend and dial back the timing. Fuel rate needs to increase exponentially. Figure double for 10lbs of boost using a roots blower. If you want something that wont break the nose off the crank and can fit behind the steering rack in an already built hot rod look at blowers that only need a 10 rib belt to drive them. 10 ribs means you aren't wasting 100hp and raising the intake temperature 100 degrees also.
    Now everyone knows I hate the 6-71 on a 4 cycle pump gas motor...

Good luck!
    Wow, sorry to hear you had such bad experiences. Granted they are not for everybody but I've had this same setup on two different hot rods over the past 14 years. Both got about 19 mpg, driven many thousands of miles and no real issues other than regular maintenance on the blower bearings.

That being said I did make quite a few modifications to make a more street able setup (under driven, restricted air flow, modified bug catcher, etc.). And I won't argue some of your points about visibility and intake temperature rise under boost. But for normal street driving it gives you that extra kick and frankly, on the highway there is more road and wind noise than the blower (at 1800 at 60 mph it's still sucking 10" if vacuum). Maybe it's because I used a very loose junkyard vintage 6-71 without Teflon tips and have multi port injection below the blower (so it's only pumping air) that helped make it more "domesticated". It all comes down to how it's setup.

Visibility is ok most of the time, you can see I'm looking over the top of the bug catcher.

7508388510_7f4fce65f9_z 4.JPG

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    Maybe it's because I used a very loose junkyard vintage 6-71 without Teflon tips and have multi port injection below the blower (so it's only pumping air) that helped make it more "domesticated". It all comes down to how it's setup.

7508388510_7f4fce65f9_z 4.JPG
    Arrowhead,

You may have really given Erik the solution that he needs since I believe his FOMOCO-427 is likely up there with the compression ratio at or above 10 to 1. If he's only pumping air, with nearly no boost, he may be able to put the blower on top without having to go through the motor to change the pistons (lowering the compression ratio to 7.5 - 8.0) in order to top things off with a 671. No teflon seals or a super loose fitting set of egg beaters may make his quest a little easier.

By The Way, Your 33 Is Totally B-B-B-Bad A__!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-26-2019 at 11:17 AM.