Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: My first ride of shame

Post Thanks / Like

My first ride of shame

Took the ol' Mk1 out to run an errand tonight. The car started coughing and sputtering with no throttle response. I was able to get it to the side of the busy highway, then got it running long enough to pull into a Shell gas station parking lot. It ran just long enough to get it lined up with the tow truck. I could smell fuel in the exhaust. I'm hoping it's the capacitor issue in the ECU. I'm running a stock 1990 5.0, harness, ECU etc.
    I asked the tow truck driver to bring it to my house and we put it in the garage. I broke down only a coule miles from my house.

Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry It Left You But You'll Be Back Running Sooner Than You Think!

3. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still looks fast...and beautiful.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

5. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks RJD. Maybe it's the car telling me it wants an eight stack EFI system?
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

7. Likes Boydster, David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Glad you made it home safely Mark!

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    Glad you made it home safely Mark!

Henry
    Thanks Henry, and for always being there to help me out!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Boo. I know that ride all too well. Hopefully a quick fix.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

11. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easy stuff first..."sputtering & coughing with no throttle response"---check fuel pressure. If that's good be sure that the mass air meter wiring is intact. Next suspicion would be TFI module.

Good luck,
    Jeff

13. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, the no shame in finding a mechanical gremlin while you are enjoying your beautiful red Cobra. Much better to drive it (I saw that you have over 7000 miles on her) and break something than to have a trailer queen! Plus, I’m sure that it was the coolest car that rollback driver had towed in a long time!! Keep Calm and Drive On!
    Craig

10/2018 -- acquired Mk3.1 #6602 which was an unfinished project in go-kart stage; 9/2019 -- completed car enough to drive locally and compete in autocross events; still in original black gel-coat; 347 Stroker w/ Holley 650 carb, roller cam; Tremec 3550; 3.51 rear diff; lots of Breeze pieces; 2021 -- XP Champion in Central PA Region - SCCA Autocross Series; 2022 - installed windshield and registered in PA; my Build Thread -- https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ished-Business

6/2022 -- acquired Mk3 #1004; finished build; 347 stroker w/ Holley 560 carb SOLD

15. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Easy stuff first..."sputtering & coughing with no throttle response"---check fuel pressure. If that's good be sure that the mass air meter wiring is intact. Next suspicion would be TFI module.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I have a code reader and tomorrow I'll connect it to see if it is throwing any codes. I'll also check your suggestions.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the club, but I agree, better driving it than have it sitting in the garage. Mine happened when the ECU for the Powerjection died. Hope you get it sorted out soon

John

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

18. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark-

Sorry about the breakdown. Good news is that it was close to home. She sure looked great on that tow rig though, right?

I hope it's an easy fix! And, if the outcome is an eight stack, you are far better off! ;-o)

Regards,

Steve

20. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I need to pick up a fuel pressure gauge but the mas air wiring looks ok. I did a KOEO read with my Ford OBD1 reader and got a code 15 (PCM Read Only Memory (ROM) test failed). I'm not using any performance chips which I've read can throw that code. For $40 I can replace the TFI mudule but not sure if code 15 is telling me that maybe those three capacitors in the A9L are possibly the issue.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Even if it turns out to be the computer I recommend installing a remote TFI module using this kit:
    http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/i...es/tfikits.htm
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark! I saw that and may well do that. I’m basically collecting parts for a refresh on the ol’ Mk1 so I’m trying to decide on a complete rewire and top end.
    I’ve got another order for you coming...
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent 45 minutes trying to get the connector off of my A9L computer before I texted Henry (65 Cobra Dude) who said there's a screw that holds the connector on under the black cover. I removed the black wiring harness cover and there it was, a big metric head bolt holding the connector on. I was banging on it with a hammer screw driver chewing up the plastic like an idiot... On one hand, I feel like how would I know there's a bolt under the cover with four plastic straps holding the connector on, and on the other hand, I feel like an idiot. Anyway.... I ordered and received the three capacitors for the repair and after removing the cover from the computer saw this.

Hoping replacing all three capacitors resolves my issues.

Thanks once again Henry!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have not had a ROS you are not driving it enough. Lose starter bolts. Starter spun but would not engage the flywheel. Put some blue thread sealer on when I got home.

Just be sure they have some boards to help clear the lower front lip on the car.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-02-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

26. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like you found the issue Mark. Good luck getting her running again and glad to help steer you in the right direction.

Henry

28. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2FECF10E-31E3-4E82-AA1C-21DC313679AC.jpeg

Sheared distributor gear pin stopped me.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the moral support!
    Tuesday I’ll put the repaired A9L in and give it a go before I head north to NY for work for 4 days.
    Weather is great for driving in SW FL and I hate having the car down.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    After the capacitors were changed on my A9L, I started it, it ran rough and died. Ever since the car will crank but will not fire. Also, since the first time the car acted up, it got worse with every start until it won't fire at all. I put a noid light on an injector connector and when cranking, the light flashes really fast like a stobe. The inline spark tester flashes at a normal rate when cranking. Not sure if it's still the A9L or the PIP. I took a video of both the noid and inline spark lights but I don't know how to post a video here. Thinking of getting another A9L and trying that. Thoughts? I ordered a TFI module that should be here in a couple days.
    Mark