BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DD Shaft Install

Post Thanks / Like

DD Shaft Install

The DD Shaft from Firewall down to Unisteer does not fit well. Where the Shaft goes into the Universal (with slit) does not tighten up and wobbles?? I tried to torque the Allen Head Bolt as tight as possible without stripping the Threads. It does not want to "Clamp" tight. Suggestions>>
    dd.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry,
    Is the universal D-shaped? It looks like it has splines, if so that isn't the correct joint.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Unisteer Power Steering. The DD Shaft runs down to the Unisteer Coupling. DD on one side and Splined on the input side. Jamie (Star Mobile 1) sent my his build pics.
    I verified with mine. Jamie is much more organized than me! I am doing mine with Motor installed. I had a long back order for joints.
    jamie pic.jpg
    Got a message from Tony this morning, who said you really have to "Crank Down" on the Bolt.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larry.
    Also have the electric power steering.
    I believe it was that connection - DD shaft into coupler on the input to the steering unit - that I had to grind a notch in the correct location on the rounded part of the DD shaft. This allows the allen screw to pass through to the threaded side of the coupler and also prevents the shaft from sliding out.
    Steve

Here's a pic of the same joint on my build...
    IMG_2713a.jpg
    Last edited by FF33rod; 02-25-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The picture looks like you're putting a DD shaft in a round splined universal joint. That won't work. You need a DD joint.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no experience with the electric power steering from FFR but agree, the photo does look like a DD shaft inserted into a round bore. If so, that is a problem. You don't want to get the steering system wrong.

While not in the manual, I used an end mill and machined 1/4" deep bores in the DD shaft where the set screws tighten against the shaft. This captures the shaft so that if the set screws come loose the shaft can't slip out of the u-joint. You can get similar results with a drill bit if you want to incorporate this into your build.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    From the angle it looks round, but it is a DD fitting>> And, I still have that missing bolt to install.
    dd.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, New Photo>
    ff.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks better. If Tony says to tighten it more you can help make that easier by coating the threads and under the head with anti-seize (or oil or grease if you don't have anti-seize handy) and that will reduce the friction of turning the screw under load. But it will also make it easier to over tighten it so be careful.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure the notch you cut is deep enough so the bolt threads aren't binding on the shaft?
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got it fitted. Ground of a bit more. It was hard to see, but did not take much.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106