Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Whitby?

Post Thanks / Like

Whitby?

Anyone else had a problem getting a response back from Whitby from their online question box?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are better off to call. They never responded to my online question.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    I brought my mk4 roadster body back in October and still waiting for a written quote from Jeff. I get a response once in a while but I will get him on the phone every so often. He owes me an update on where I am in line. Planning on getting the body back in Early April. Fingers crossed.

Ron ronsdream

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsdream View Post
    I brought my mk4 roadster body back in October and still waiting for a written quote from Jeff. I get a response once in a while but I will get him on the phone every so often. He owes me an update on where I am in line. Planning on getting the body back in Early April. Fingers crossed.

Ron ronsdream
    Mine has been there 13 months and I think he's almost ready to get going on it.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Mine has been there 13 months and I think he's almost ready to get going on it.
    Wow! That is unbelievable. Something is wrong there.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Wow! That is unbelievable. Something is wrong there.
    Not really. It can take quite a while to get into any of the high end, experienced F5 body finishers. Some just require you to hold yours and wait until its your turn. Others have you drop it off so it gets you in the que then work on it when your time comes. I know its been a while, but the finished product will be worth it. There were 27 cars ahead of mine when I dropped off the body. Some of those are complete builds, not just body & paint.

Yes, I wish it took less time. Yes, I wish it was done differently. But I'm not letting Sam down at the corner shop do my F5 for me, and I had 3 choices for body & paint. The other 2 were further away, so I chose Whitby's.

Its cool. I'll get it back soon.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I sent an email direct to Jeff with this question:

Why do you have an online question area when you don't retrieve and/or answer the messages?

This morning I had this reply:

That is a great question. The truth is we are a small company, and everyone works long areas and wears many hats. I am sorry it sometimes takes a while to get around to the emails. We really do the best we can. In answer to your original question the console will fit an MK4
    Thank you,
    Jeff

I can understand the wait for getting your body/paint work done but answering an email in a business 85% of the time is leading to sales. You shouldn't ignore it.

-----Original Message-----
    To: sales <[email protected]>
    Sent: Mon, Feb 25, 2019 7:06 pm
    Subject: Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Good plan if you are using Whitby is to give him the body as soon as you get it. You don't need it to build the chassis & he does not need the chassis to do the body work.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-26-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really. It can take quite a while to get into any of the high end, experienced F5 body finishers. Some just require you to hold yours and wait until its your turn. Others have you drop it off so it gets you in the que then work on it when your time comes. I know its been a while, but the finished product will be worth it. There were 27 cars ahead of mine when I dropped off the body. Some of those are complete builds, not just body & paint.

Yes, I wish it took less time. Yes, I wish it was done differently. But I'm not letting Sam down at the corner shop do my F5 for me, and I had 3 choices for body & paint. The other 2 were further away, so I chose Whitby's.

This is a good summary.
    In my mind show me a body man in todays economy that doesn’t have some backlog of work and I will in all but the rareist cases show you somebody that won’t do an A++ job. Anybody that is top notch has plenty of work in line. You can easily search the forum and find numerous complaints about Whitby communication and timeline. I would challenge you to search the forum and find a single complaint about the quality of the work and the finished project.
    I would say a large part of building one of these cars is doing your research. You kinda got to know what to expect when sending them a car. Boydster is right on the money with his expectations and as a result does not seem at all unsatisfied. Whitby had my car longer than I anticipated. Now a couple years later I have another car in the works with hem because I have 100% confidence the output will be worth the time trade off. Could have had a local yokel do it faster and cheaper but is that what anyone really wants for their car?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Good plan if you are using Whitby is to give him the body as soon as you get it. You don't need it to build the chassis & he does not need the chassis to do the body work.
    I'm curious as to how things like door fitment are dealt with if you send someone the body off the car? I was under the impression that there's a certain amount of massaging that has to take place to the body to get everything to fit perfectly after it's on the car.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quite some time ago I tried to buy some parts from Jeff and guess what gang:...No Parts Ever Arrived!
    While he seemed to be a very nice fellow on the phone, and his staff was nice too, my parts were never shipped.
    Yes I followed up with more than a few telephone calls and again, No Parts Ever Arrived!
    The only good thing is that my credit card never got charged for any of the items.
    I guess he only sells parts to folks that send him their cars to paint.
    I guess he is Toooo busy to sell parts that he advertises.
    Sorry that I am not a fan and likely will never be one.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-26-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I'm curious as to how things like door fitment are dealt with if you send someone the body off the car? I was under the impression that there's a certain amount of massaging that has to take place to the body to get everything to fit perfectly after it's on the car.
    Have had no issues with final fit. That metal frame in the pictures is a duplicate of the FFR chassis attachment points for doors etc. I gave him the body & we both finished about the same time. Trailered the chassis down & had Whitby install the body. Brought the car home on a trailer & got it registered.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-26-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

13. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FYI Whitby's is not a forum supporting vendor.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had issues with Whitby as well.

I ordered the center console a few years ago. No email trail, so I must have called them. I think I had to call a few times to get the part. I am happy with the console.

I tried ordering another part last year. I have an email from them that the order was received on September 13, 2018 and that they would contact me regarding payment. Zero followup. I never called them.

I reordered the part on February 19, 2019 and got the same type of email. No followup yet, but it's only been a week. May or may not call them. The part would be nice to have but is not critical. I could make it myself if necessary.

Customer service is NOT one of their strengths!!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    FYI Whitby's is not a forum supporting vendor.
    Sorry. Did not know that. Thought they were on both forums.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    They have several F5 frames to mount, size and adjust your body. Plus they have done it many, many times.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

18. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also had work done on my roadster with Whitby's and it took longer than Jeff had promised. The issue was never the quality of the work but just how long it took. Jeff runs a quality shop but he isn't the most fastidious business owner - I thing he runs under the mantra of "Quality over quantity". Heck if he hired 2 more mechanics he could speed up the process but remember too that he also runs a C&C machine shop as well. He delivers a good quality work but just don't be in any hurry for the work to be completed.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can say this. Whitby sells good stuff. Just do not think you will get it in 2 weeks. I always takes 6-10 weeks to get parts from his catalog for me at least. I know this upfront so I just call every week till I wear him out, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the Whitby air conditioner nearly a year ago. Got an email saying they received my order, but nothing else. I've called many times asking for an update on when I might expect delivery. All I'm told is that someone will call me. Finally gave up and went with plan B. Glad I didn't pay for it in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsdream View Post

Ron ronsdream
    Ron - I dropped my body off in November and was told 12 months lead time. Stopped in 2 weeks ago and they were still expecting it to be November for my paint. Not sure you will be getting it in April. It is about a 1 month process, so if they haven't started by now, it won't be ready in early April. Good Luck.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I dropped my body off at Whitby's 11 months ago. I have gotten 1 response to my multiple emails. The response I did get mentioned getting close to getting started. Mentioned a March or April start. We will see. I am thinking it will be great if I get it back by the end of the summer. They seem to be very busy. Not sure about how/why they can't be a little more proactive on the "where am I on the list", wouldn't take 5 minutes a week to update a list. Hell i am sure the local auto-body college peeps would love an intership there and could do stuff like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TXdad View Post
    I dropped my body off at Whitby's 11 months ago. I have gotten 1 response to my multiple emails. The response I did get mentioned getting close to getting started. Mentioned a March or April start. <snip>
    I'm at 13 months and 1 week. Spoke to Jeff about 3 weeks ago and he said mine was just about to come in.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent an E-mail about air conditioner last week and got a reply in just a couple of days but haven't bought anything yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of all the vendors that I have dealt with during my build Whitby's have been the most frustrating people to deal with. Everybody else has been so helpful it is unbelievable.......everyone. I say unbelievable because sending large amounts of money to vendors from the other side of the world could easily lead to problems, but everybody has been great............except one...........try as I might I have tried to throw money at them for a Tonneau, and for rollbar bezels.......I've tried to pay in advance, I've offered to pay more, I've emailed over and over, sometimes getting a reply but mostly not......its not like they don't look at their computer, because they regularly post on Facebook....Just tell me if you don't want my money!

They sure as hell are not running a business.
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll politely disagree. I had mine done at Metal Morpheous in CT. Delivered car late Sept and received it back in March which actually was a good 45-60 days later than Ron thought he could get it done. Ron’s been in business a long time and done a lot of FF’s as well as he is one of the painters for ERA I believe as well. He’s a tiny operation with I believe 3-4 employees including himself. So comparing 6mths to 13+ is a big difference.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll politely disagree. I had mine done at Metal Morpheous in CT. Delivered car late Sept and received it back in March which actually was a good 45-60 days later than Ron thought he could get it done. Ron’s been in business a long time and done a lot of FF’s as well as he is one of the painters for ERA I believe as well. He’s a tiny operation with I believe 3-4 employees including himself. So comparing 6mths to 13+ is a big difference.
    That is true. But when you visit Whitby he has 20+ cars in various states of completion. People bring him kits at all different stages. Makes it hard to estimate how long each one will take. Not making excuses for him just a different scenario than your case.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    That is true. But when you visit Whitby he has 20+ cars in various states of completion. People bring him kits at all different stages. Makes it hard to estimate how long each one will take. Not making excuses for him just a different scenario than your case.
    So then I assume he overlooks and does not properly manage throughout properly. Ron I believe brings in 8 at a time and constantly keeping the pipeline around that mark to ensure good customer service. Anyone can take on too much work but eventually you pay the price with lagging delivery times and or dissstisiied customers. Not saying quality is not there but I would bring my car to Jeff Kleiner or Jeff Miller any day even if it means hauling a few days to them. They know how to manage throughput and happy customers.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 1 business transaction with them and never again! Horrible customer service and waited FOREVER for my parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps the place you used would have been a better choice... hindsight is 20/20, of course. I have never heard of Metal Morpheous, and I've read every post and build thread on here for the last 4.5 years.

I was told 6-9 months at drop off. Yeah, I know its not the best situation, but I'm not in all that huge hurry to get my car done. I'm patient, and it is what it is for now. It'll get done.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    This time table for paint jobs is crazy! I've just finished my 18thFFR and my paint jobs (mostly SEMA quality) have taken between 5 weeks to 10 months! My first GTM took 6 months, next shop (Karls Collision) took less than three months to not only paint, but to fit the doors and install all the glass! My latest 289 FIA cobra took 10 months but that was because I bartered (BIG MISTAKE) with that shop for painting the 289 and my IndyCar. fia100.jpg Again it took forever but it was SEMA quality but at that point I was too frustrated to give him my IndyCar project to paint back to it's original livery. So that I took to Andretti Motorsports in Indianapolis. My friend there who is their painter, hired a guy to disassemble it, He painted it, then rehired the guy to help put it back together...………….All done in less than 4 weeks! visteon.jpgAnd the price was CRAZY cheap!
    Last edited by fact5racer; 03-06-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm at 13 months and 1 week. Spoke to Jeff about 3 weeks ago and he said mine was just about to come in.
    Yup, counting months, weeks, days....been there done that. Here you go, its a "how many days between calendar". Don't let it drive you crazy, haha. I'm still trying to figure out how wareaglescott got his painted so quick there...
    https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/ti...ween-dates.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A very good friend of mine brought him a completed car in Red Gel Coat.
    The car was titled and an excellent well sorted completed driver.
    It only took Jeff 13 months to paint it.
    You be the judge.

And Now You Know The Rest Of The Story; Good Day!

Works/Quote Cited:.. The Very Great Paul Harvey!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-07-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Yup, counting months, weeks, days....been there done that. Here you go, its a "how many days between calendar". Don't let it drive you crazy, haha. I'm still trying to figure out how wareaglescott got his painted so quick there...
    https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/ti...ween-dates.php
    Mine was there 10 months. That seemed to be the norm at the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    A very good friend of mine brought him a completed car in Red Gel Coat.
    The car was titled and an excellent well sorted completed driver.
    It only took Jeff 13 months to paint it.
    You be the judge.

And Now You Know The Rest Of The Story; Good Day!

Works/Quote Cited:.. The Very Great Paul Harvey!
    Steve I would think you of all people would have any understanding of unpredictable timelines. I doubt when you set out on this project you would Have expected your timeline to work out like it has but that happens sometimes.
    If your friends car showed up and was 20th in line how long did he expect it to take? Jeff didn’t take 13 months to paint it. He probably took 2-3 just like every other car and the rest of the time the car was sitting in the lineup waiting for its turn.

Jeff told me once “ I’m not gonna rush the car ahead of yours to get to yours, just like I’m not gonna rush yours to get to the next one.” He doesn’t compromise on the output product and it takes what it takes. If he didn’t have such a great reputation for quality work these Whitby complaint threads wouldn’t keep coming up periodically because he wouldn’t be overloaded with work. It is well documented and the same complaints about timeline have been going on for years. At least the 3 I have been here. If someone is shocked at their timeline they really have no one to blame but themselves for not properly researching things before sending their car off. Coming here shocked and surprised at how long your car is taking for paint is just poor preparation on your part. Sorry but that is how I see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve I would think you of all people would have any understanding of unpredictable timelines. I doubt when you set out on this project you would Have expected your timeline to work out like it has but that happens sometimes.
    If your friends car showed up and was 20th in line how long did he expect it to take? Jeff didn’t take 13 months to paint it. He probably took 2-3 just like every other car and the rest of the time the car was sitting in the lineup waiting for its turn.

Jeff told me once “ I’m not gonna rush the car ahead of yours to get to yours, just like I’m not gonna rush yours to get to the next one.” He doesn’t compromise on the output product and it takes what it takes. If he didn’t have such a great reputation for quality work these Whitby complaint threads wouldn’t keep coming up periodically because he wouldn’t be overloaded with work. It is well documented and the same complaints about timeline have been going on for years. At least the 3 I have been here. If someone is shocked at their timeline they really have no one to blame but themselves for not properly researching things before sending their car off. Coming here shocked and surprised at how long your car is taking for paint is just poor preparation on your part. Sorry but that is how I see it.
    Scott,

My delays were personal in nature both financial and family driven.
    Whitby's delays are promises made and promised deadlines not being delivered.
    I did not say his work was sub-standard.
    You be the judge.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-07-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think most people would understand that quality takes time. However, being unresponsive to customers or potential customers is not a direct effect of doing quality work. I guess good for him that he can continue operating his business while not delivering on the customer service side of the business, but expectations of businesses and their responsiveness has changed dramatically over the past few years and that will likely continue. Scott, I agree that anyone who sends their car there should already have an expectation based on the many conversations, but I also think it is completely logical for many of us to be confused, frustrated and unaccepting of the lack customer service they provide.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Scott,

My delays were personal in nature both financial and family driven.
    Whitby's delays are promises made and promised deadlines not being delivered.
    I did not say his work was sub-standard.
    You be the judge.

Steve
    As I said in the reply to your PM my words were not to make light of your circumstances just to point out unanticipated events happen with timelines. Whether they be personal and financial or related to fixing somebody’s car before you can complete your paint/body on it.

In my experience Jeff NEVER makes promises. He makes estimates. There is a big difference. I never once took any timetable he gave me as a promise. Anyone that thinks they are getting a promise probably is hearing what they want to hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott,

My pal's paint job was supposed to take 9-10 months after Jeff Whitby received the car; however, it took 13-14 months and some: Persuading Efforts!
    My personal experience with Mr. Whitby was that he NEVER sent the parts that I ordered even though I followed up and followed and followed up some more.

Heck, my other buddy Donny built his car, including paint, in 6 months and it was his 1st build ever and 2nd paint job ever.
    You can see Donny's MK-4 at the end of the attached video and his car is pretty darn nice for being an FE Ford Powered 390. (.030" Overbore)
    No Donny isn't a master mechanic or painter by trade, but a carpenter instead.

Sorry that my opinion will likely never change regarding this subject.
    Sorry that in my book a man's word is either good or it is not.

Steve

https://youtu.be/Vhbftk4AP4k
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-07-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1 Get the body there when you get it.

2 When asked about missing time estimates he said I will not rush a car to get to yours & will not rush yours to get to the next one.

3 I always used the phone not email to make contact.

4 Agree getting parts is horrible. I was close enough to get them in person.

5 Based on the work & price would do it again.

6 If quick turnaround is high on your list go elsewhere.

7 FWIW my body was ready in 7 months took the chassis down in month 8 & picked car up in month 9.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234