Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SBC Non-EFI Fuel Lines

Post Thanks / Like

SBC Non-EFI Fuel Lines

Next Project> Engine Compartment Fuel Lines. I have a Carbureted (non EFI) Blueprint 383. I am trying to figure the best way to run the Fuel Lines up to Carburetor. Limited space, as I have the A/C connectors on the outboard side. I was planning on putting the Radiator Overflow Reservoir on the Firewall just inboard of the Frame. Now I am getting close to the hot Headers. I also need to install a Pressure Regulator and Gauge. Other option is to come in from the front of Engine.
    Looking for some options/suggestions.
    Thanks

From Front>
    fuel3.jpg

from Firewall>
    20190226_094340.jpg
    Last edited by MBB Larry; 02-26-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: photo upside down
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I came in from the front as there is much more room. I fabricated a bracket and mounted my regulators on the pass side head where your AC compressor is. I use two regulators (one for the nitrous system) so my regulator package is bigger than a single regulator. My carb regulator is a return style so I have two -8 AN lines running under the passenger side floorboard, exiting through the lower firewall panel, and along the oil pan rail, supported under the motor mount and then up to the regulator.

Whatever you do -- don't run a fuel line through the trans tunnel or near the driveshaft.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Naz, From the Firewall up to behind Alternator, what type Lines did you use. I am having issues with 3/8 U.S. Standard Flared 3/8 (From Tank) > NPT (Regulator) >AN6 (Carb)????? I hate the looks of stacked up fittings.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used PTFE lined -8AN SS braided hose from the tank to the carb. More expensive but there were advantages to using the hose for the entire run. not the least was safety.

For a mild 383 you should not need any larger than -6 size tubing or hose. The reason I ran -8 is I had a pre-planned engine upgrade to 1000HP on methanol which would require the PTFE hose and the -8 size. Most folks would have run a combination of -6 (3/8") hard line to fuel hose for the last couple of feet but most folks don't have to deal with NHRA rules so running the braided hose all the way made it much easier to comply with the rules.

A clean way to run yours would be 3/8" steel tubing (I think the FFR tank supports inverted flair connections) with the appropriate number of tubing supports (there is a standard based on tubing size -- I don't have it handy) up to your regulator. From the regulator use an NPT to -6AN fitting and run -6AN SS braided hose to the carb. Summit Racing has all the parts you need and if you use their brand hose and fittings the cost is very reasonable. They also have tubing supports but I usually get these from McMaster-Carr. NAPA has the steel tubing if you don't have the 3/8" size -- you want it coated inside & out. to prevent rusting like brake tubing. You can use SS tubing but it's harder to work with. I hate messing with the coiled tubing so I buy straight sticks cause I can't stand to look at wavy tubing. I think FFR supplied 1/4" tubing in my kit for a fuel line. I used it to make longer air vents on my carb to prevent fuel spillover on hard stops. If your engine wants to die on a hard stop -- this is the cure.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran from the back up the center. I have a custom exhaust that is outboard so running up the center of the car got the lines far away from heat. In the initial setup we had a regulator on a Holley Blue set up on the firewall and ran the line to the regulator. Problem was that was above the headers and I suffered a lot of heat problems to include boiling the fuel. I went to a Holley Red pump and ran the lines up the center coming in over the transmission, up the bell housing and into the rear. I went out and got a 1 inch thick aluminum tube and fastened that to the bottom of the car for added protection.

This was the original setup, note the regulator over top the headers
    IMG_0721.jpg

This is the current setup, note the line comes in from the back middle of the engine
    IMG_1347.jpg

This is the routing of the line from back to front, gets near the exhaust in a couple of areas but note the long run in the middle where the exhaust is over a foot away
    IMG_1353.jpgIMG_1350.jpgIMG_1349.jpgIMG_1351.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys. I still have to run my Exhaust. This weeks projects.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106