Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side pipe install for go karting

Post Thanks / Like

Side pipe install for go karting

Hi,
    I am about to install the side pipes temporarily for go karting. I have ffv long tube headers for the coyote. I have two questions.

1. Should I not use the gasket because I only have 1 set or just get another set for the final assembly?

2. Should I cut the inner part of the gasket out because the flange on the header side is one big opening and the side pipe flange is four tubes.

I was also wondering if I can install the side pipe hangers before the body is on because of fitment, but I read some posts saying to not install the hangers for go karting. And some people don’t use the hangers at all. I am planning on using the hangers eventually with the 1 bolt loose fit method.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t install the gasket or hanger brackets for go-karting. Ran about 50 miles that way with no problems.
    Wait until the body is on and in the final position before you mount the hangers.
    -Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 02-26-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the gaskets temporarily. I cut the middle of mine out but not sure it matters much as you may not use them in the end. Most of us do the final assembly with Permatex Copper RTV and don't use the supplied gaskets. Just my 2 cents. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't mess with gaskets or hangers for go karting (by the way, "go karting" to me is a trip or 2 up and down the road, not not racking up double or even triple digit miles!). Yes, wait to make the hanger installation until the body is in it's final position.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The gaskets can be used several times. But, no real need for go-kart runs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Don't mess with gaskets or hangers for go karting (by the way, "go karting" to me is a trip or 2 up and down the road, not not racking up double or even triple digit miles!). Yes, wait to make the hanger installation until the body is in it's final position.

Jeff
    I did my Go-Karting, as defined by Jeff, without side pipes on at all. I am not sure if Coyote engine changes that at all.

Dittos on:
    Delay side pipe bracket/hangers until body on and in final position.
    Copper RTV works well in place of gaskets. But neither needed for Go-Karting.

For initial driving with body on, will most likely require attaching the side pipes to protect the fiberglass from the heat. A little driving with the side pipes just bolted to the headers (no hangers) will not cause any harm.
    Last edited by Scott Zackowski; 02-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not gonna repeat what every one said, but I'll add: If you're worried about them not being supported, just get some bailing wire and wrap the tips to the frame (loosely). I wouldn't worry about it based on the responses so far, but that may work for piece of mind.

HAVE FUN!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Coyote with the Stainless headers. Just bolted the pipes on for the go cart. No gaskets or supports. Put the supports on after final assembly. Also did a go cart with just the headers, louder than hell, but then I live out in the middle of nowhere. LOL
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06