Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Turbo suggestions for the Master of Modifications!

Post Thanks / Like

Turbo suggestions for the Master of Modifications!

Hey all, I'd like to hear some suggestions for my turbo selection. I'll be working on it soon, so I'd like to have some feedback before purchasing.
    My engine is a 2002 ej205. I have 8:1 Pistons, wrx exhaust cams, pink injectors, stock flywheel & act street clutch on my rebuilt & balanced motor. I'm interested in a turbo with an external wastegate. My turbo will be located rearward of the engine approximately at the engine/trans part line, with the compressor housing pointed forward. My location will require slightly longer primary tubes than stock but clearance around the unit will not be a problem since I'm building all the surrounding infrastructure. I plan to use stock size primary tubes for my headers to maintain exhaust gas velocity. 2-into 1 tubes from each head, 2-into 1 again just before the turbo mount.
    I read a little about twin scroll turbos & would be interested in one. My car will be used primarily for street so nothing too big please. I'm shooting for 300 rwhp and 6500-7000 redline if possible. From what I've read, this should require about 18 lbs of boost to achieve.
    Let me hear from you & thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lance,
    As you know the usual EWG setup is mounted on the uppipe. FWIW, I went with the EWG built into the compressor housing. This is not the same as a IWG. The reason I went with the builtin EWG is the uppipe mounted ones tend to eventually crack at the joint off the uppipe. Not a game ender in a street car, but would be a big problem in an endurance race car.

Currently I have a ATP 3067 EWG style turbo on my STI. It spins up fast and puts out 330 TQ / 323 HP at 17psi on EJ 257. And 375 TQ / 345 HP at 20 psi It's a factory location mount, although you do need a separate dumppipe and exhaust for the EWG. And a Tial EXG. And it has a 3" intake inlet which is a pain in the rear to install, though it does come with a stock size intake adapter.
    I've been considering a swapping up to a ATP EWG 3576 because the class I'm in needs more power. If you are interested in my 3067 let me know. You'd probably need larger injectors though. Talk to your tuner

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=SUB-EXT

But that all said, at the 300HP power level on a street car it would be much simpler, much much cheaper, and lighter to go IWG. Personally I'd stick with an IWG turbo in your use case. In fact I'd probably get a rebuilt factory turbo. I've bought two from John Peirce <[email protected]>, they worked great. A rebuilt IWG will be less than 1/3 the total cost of a new EWG system once you add in the Tial controller.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info Sgt Gator. Thanks but if I was worried about my $ I wouldn't have bought one of these money pits! Could've bought a used car & put the other $30K in the bank. I've given up on budget!

4. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents given to Lance were Garrett G25-550 (50lb/min) or Borg Warner EFR6758 (53lb/min). Either should be capable of ~350 WHP on pump.

Each has the latest and greatest turbo technology available from their respective manufacturer.

I think Lance is leaning toward the G25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone considered the Spoolinator kits for the 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lance sent me some pictures of his turbo setup.
    I wish this was mine!!!!

818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

8. Likes Kurk818, AZPete, Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Garret 25-550

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats quite the effort. Looks amazing.

Is that just an engine cradle or did you make the whole engine frame section removable like a subframe? Would love more photos.

Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    I went with the Garret 25-550

Post Thanks / Like
    Kurk, the rear trans half of my framework unbolts from the motor mount area. As I developed my rear suspension, it was clear that the ffr framework has to go. I’m using C-4 vette suspension parts, which are wholly different than the Subie parts. Also, I needed a bumper which would pass inspection in Ohio, which I used as additional support for the trans cradle. Everything unbolts without removing engine or the trans from its mount.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ooohhh Mannn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a good turbo choice Lance.
    I pushed the easy button on my Twin Scroll setup on my EJ205. JDM VF37 with the JDM header, made a reliable 285whp on a 100,000 engine and 1000cc injectors (the tuners suggestion) on pump gas. Don't think you will have an issue getting to your target number with your plans.

Post Thanks / Like
    We like Borg Warner EFR--Internal waste gates and blow off. Spools very fast. Same engine as you we make 335WHP and 347lb-ft. 12.5 psi boost on E85. Warning if you drop the clutch and you have sticky tires, something will break. IMG_0726-2.JPG
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I know this. Everything is a compromise. I don’t drive like that, so hoping to get some good miles from it.