Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Hotrod wiring help

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hotrod wiring help

I have searched through this site, the manual and wire booklet provided with the kit and I am confused bc they all say something different. So I decided to post pictures of what I have and see what other builders say. The issue right now is when I turn the ignition key to power my rear brake lights are on ( this is with the purple wire on the brake switch connected on one of the post and I did cut the purple wire off the rear brakes lights at the rear of the car.) If I take remove the purple wire from the switch post the brakes go out. But if I follow the wire diagram correctly then there is not supply of power to the column wiring as I believe it receives power from the orange wire off the fuses panel through the brake switch. I have heard some say to cut the purple wire at the brake switch and tape it back. Others say they have it connected. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached photos showing my setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dumb question, what happens when you push the brake pedal. Do the lights go out? If so you may have your brake switch installed incorrectly. I have a brake switch and a clutch safety switch, but it is the same switch for both (it has two sets of prongs, it looks like yours only has one set) . The clutch safety uses one set of prongs and the brake switch uses the other. I had to test mine with an ohm meter to make sure I had them installed correctly.

You might also call the technicians at Ron Francis, they can be helpful. Just make sure you have your harness edition when you call. It should be the letter on the bottom of your chassis harness instructions.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMAN View Post
    I have searched through this site, the manual and wire booklet provided with the kit and I am confused bc they all say something different. So I decided to post pictures of what I have and see what other builders say. The issue right now is when I turn the ignition key to power my rear brake lights are on ( this is with the purple wire on the brake switch connected on one of the post and I did cut the purple wire off the rear brakes lights at the rear of the car.) If I take remove the purple wire from the switch post the brakes go out. But if I follow the wire diagram correctly then there is not supply of power to the column wiring as I believe it receives power from the orange wire off the fuses panel through the brake switch. I have heard some say to cut the purple wire at the brake switch and tape it back. Others say they have it connected. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached photos showing my setup.

If you have power at both sides of the brake light switch you simply have the brake switch mis-adjusted. Just adjust it so the button on the switch is depressed when the brake pedal is at rest.

The purple wire feeds the brake light switch, when the pedal is at rest the contacts are open. When you step on the pedal, the contacts close and the lights come on.

The brake pedal switch in your photo cannot be connected incorrectly as it only has two connections. feed from fuse box and feed to lights- doesn't matter which is on which side,
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the issue with the help from rychi1 and ffinisher. I had to run the adjustment of the brake switch that contacts the pedal arm all the way in to were it bottoms out. I did not think that the whole white plunger piece would have to be compressed in. I think I have maybe half to one full thread left on the switch so hopefully there is not any wear of the plunger through use. It is a cheap switch. If the switch wears I will look for a better option. Maybe a contact switch and not a plunger style. I to have the old Ron Francis wire harness from 2014 incase some one else searches post later on. Once again thank you to the members of this forum for the support once again :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how this thread will end up however when we wired up the harness at the back we did not use the purple wire, it is used for a different type of lights, we have the LED standard FFR rear lights/brake lights. I took pictures of the connections at the back. However, we will be using the purple wire for the third brake light, however as it pertains to standard setup its not used.
    20190227_192837.jpg 20190227_192738.jpg 20190227_192722.jpg
    I bought Pico connectors to make the setup and disconnection easier and waterproof. Did not get a picture of the wires connecting the brake switch but its setup as per the guide, we had to only adjust it to make sure that its not depressed when installed without the brake pedal being pressed.

6. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post