Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fire extinguisher mounting

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fire extinguisher mounting

Ready to install my fire extinguisher and plan to place it behind the driver and passenger. Placing it either on the u joint cover or attach it to the back of the rear firewall in the same area. Looking for ideas as to others experience in mounting in one of these two locations.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't recommend a location to mount it but can give you some free advice -- don't use the typical cheap toggle mounting bracket shipped with these small extinguishers as they are susceptible to coming loose in a crash. There's a good reason that sanctioning bodies won't allow these mounts in race cars. You really don't want that size missile flying free in the cockpit. I remember seeing someone here post a video of an extinguisher loose in a track day car on a road course -- it was very distracting to the driver.

Consider using a mount such as this one made by Allstar Performance available at Amazon, Summit Racing, Megs, etc: Summit #AAF-ALL10512
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've gone with the Drake quick release.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used one of the Drake mounts installed in the trunk. My first priority is to get the heck out of the car. I'll worry about putting out the fire after I'm safe. I'm sure there may be a good reason to place one in the car, I just chose to keep it out of sight.

Attached Images Attached Images
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I've put them on the rear wall just above the U-joint cover. Can be reached in a hurry from either seat. High enough not to bang into your elbows if you're resting them on the center console (transmission cover).
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine's in the trunk...for the same reasons as Marcel.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto to marcel plus the little ones are not big enough for much. I purchased the large chrome halon one and put it in the trunk. I wanted more functionality for mine although it’s still limited compared to a proper suppression system. I also zip tied the latch down with a thin tie so it won’t open on accident but can be torn open if needed.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a small bail out bottle in the cockpit if ever needed & the main one in the trunk.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody have experience with the Safecraft Fire Suppression Systems?
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Does anybody have experience with the Safecraft Fire Suppression Systems?
    Just the Safecraft's Halon hand helds. One under the dash, and another in the trunk. The billet mounts are from Summit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is why this group is so awesome. You can always count on members contributing ideas and sharing. Safety is an important area and I'm sure a lot of people are looking for ideas.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Safecraft no, but I put a Stroud system in my race car. Halon is getting harder to get but there are replacements and one of the best is FE36. I went with Stroud because their system uses FE36 and Stroud has great support for their products. The important things to consider is nozzle placement, bottle orientation, and capacity needed. If you have a roadster don't expect any fire suppression system to be effective in an open cockpit. Under the hood yes.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about safety, check this out. It has six spray nozzles and a thermal sensor.

https://safecraft.com/product/model-mtx/
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, that system at the end of your link is for industrial use not automotive. Before deciding on a system, do a lot of research -- these systems add cost and weight. Since I race under NHRA rules my choices of clean agents is restricted to a short list of what has been tested and certified by SFI and Novec 1230 is not an approved agent. By using FE36 I can get away with only a five-pound system which is more than enough to flood my cockpit & trunk where my fuel cell is mounted. Other clean agents may require a larger bottle so it's a good idea to do lots of research to find a system that provides the performance you need without adding excessive weight and bulk.

If you're looking for a hand held Halon extinguisher, take a look at aircraft supply retailers for what they have before clicking the buy button on Amazon for some offshore extinguisher. Every bird I've flow has had a small Halon extinguisher mounted where the pilot or cabin crew can reach it. And if you want Halon (the gold standard in clean agents) and you're having trouble finding it this might be a source.

15. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Can't recommend a location to mount it but can give you some free advice -- don't use the typical cheap toggle mounting bracket shipped with these small extinguishers as they are susceptible to coming loose in a crash. There's a good reason that sanctioning bodies won't allow these mounts in race cars. You really don't want that size missile flying free in the cockpit. I remember seeing someone here post a video of an extinguisher loose in a track day car on a road course -- it was very distracting to the driver.

Consider using a mount such as this one made by Allstar Performance available at Amazon, Summit Racing, Megs, etc: Summit #AAF-ALL10512
    Thanks!! Never thought of that!! Ordering a better mount as I type!!

Steve