Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fender fit help needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Fender fit help needed.

IMG_1236.JPG

Need help with front fender fit. Wheel appears way off. Fenders not mounted, just sitting on spacers. Checked suspension arm measurements per manual. Running board starts 13" behind cab, per manual.

What am I not getting. Sorry about rotation.

RalphIMG_1235.JPG
    Last edited by rponfick; 02-27-2019 at 05:12 PM.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where you measured the 13 inches from .. but that definitively looks like you have the fenders too far aft. how does it look from the front? do the fenders tuck around the nose ok?

I measured from the Front of the door opening to front of the floor board @ 9 3/4 inches.

did you measure off the back of the physical cab or the flange off the back of the cab. It's about 13inches off the physical back of the cab.

In any event... don't get too wrapped up on the measurement - nobody will come up to you and throw a ruler down and check your work.

I had no idea when I built my truck (no manual) … I bolted the fenders to the running boards, supported with jacks and moved the assembly back and forth.

Areas you want to look at before finalizing

1. wheels look "good" in the fenders
    2. How much over hang off the back of the truck is there
    3. How do the front fenders wrap around the bottom of the nose and are the even (one not higher than the other) - this will effect the height of the front fenders if you are off here and you won't notice until you look at the car from the front.

for sure what you have there is too much to the rear... so slide it forward.. bolt the rear fender on there and see what it looks like. There is also a slot in the front of the running board as it contacts the body... what does that look like?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric, thanks for your great comments. I agree that my fenders are too far forward. My 13" is from the bottom cab rounded bottom as shown on page 412 of the assembly manual. I will experiment by moving the rear of the running board forward. The fenders do not fit the nose very well unless I force them in toward the grill surround.

I noticed from your photos that your front of the running board was further forward than mine: you indicate 9 3/4" from door opening, mine is about 8".

My rear overhang of the rear fenders is about even with the bed, but I notice you eliminated the gas tank strap protrusion, and I left mine as described in manual.

I agree that centering wheels in openings is probably the most important factor, and letting the rest fall where it may.
    I hope these discussions can eliminate some frustration for those that follow.
    Thanks again. Ralph