FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Anything new for the 818 in the grapevine?

Post Thanks / Like

Anything new for the 818 in the grapevine?

Has anyone seen or heard of any new developments for the 818? Surely there must be something new coming for it....an accessory, new rear end design, improved soft top, something? anything?

I would even just love to see the FFR shop crank out a new showpiece 818 with some sort of alternative crazy engine shoe-horned in....or maybe a tuned wild WRX engine.

I hope the 818 does not go the way of the Spyder GT....

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a video on YouTube of FFR’s latest prototype. Looks like the Daytona coupe but more modern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any FFR peeps want to talk about the 818 current status, how its doing, what's coming down the pike for it, etc?

Separate but related, did the ecoboost engined 818 (Snap-On build) ever drive? How did it drive? How did it handle? I know the ecoboost is too pricey of an engine option right now, but its driving dynamics would probably be similar to an 818 outfitted with some other inline 4, at least I would think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why will no one from FFR (at least) answer my questions about the Snap-On ecoboost equipped 818? Was it never driven? I find that hard to imagine, but I suppose it is Snap-On's car so it is possible (show car and all). Has FFR already updated everyone about this particular 818 and I just missed it and am asking redundant questions? I cant believe none else is interested in what became of that car...it was /is one of the best 818's in my opinion.

Anyone. Out. There?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben, the roll center of the car while using the ecoboost engine would be considerably higher than using a subie engine. Low roll center is one reason Porsches handle so well. To me, the whole idea of these cars is to have unmatched handling and performance while still achieving 25 mpg. Using an ecoboost engine would compromise the package.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sat in and looked over the eco-boost 818C while at the factory picking up my 818R. This physical issues were that the motor sits too high for the 818S and 818R, it only fits in the 818C due to the higher roof line over the engine compartment. Plus the motor sits very close to the firewall (even closer than my H6) and with the installed 6-speed, the transmission sticks out the back of the car a wee bit.

So, all that, combined with what Lance mentioned makes it a not very attractive option.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I know some other feel differently but I have been impressed with my Subaru engine/transmission. This is my first Subi powered car and it has exceeded my expectations for what I am doing with the car. Yes the engine can have some issues but I have found a wealth of knowledge available to correct the potential problems and it is pretty easy and not to costly (by racing standards) Not many production engines will be bulletproof for track use without a tweak or 2.
    I think it was a good choice that fit FFR's vision for the car. JMO
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-11-2019 at 07:49 AM.

8. Likes lance corsi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont misunderstand me, I like my 818 with the subaru engine, mostly just curious what happened with the Snap-On 818C. Was it just a bad idea from the beginning and strictly marketing? Are flat 4 and 6 engines the only choice for the 818? I would still like to have seen that car run through its paces on some track somewhere, why not? I am also wishfully thinking that FFR will have something new coming for the 818 crowd, but it doesnt seem to be in the cards.

I just need to buckle down and get my car finished so I can actually really drive the thing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Dont misunderstand me, I like my 818 with the subaru engine, mostly just curious what happened with the Snap-On 818C. Was it just a bad idea from the beginning and strictly marketing? Are flat 4 and 6 engines the only choice for the 818? I would still like to have seen that car run through its paces on some track somewhere, why not? I am also wishfully thinking that FFR will have something new coming for the 818 crowd, but it doesnt seem to be in the cards.

I just need to buckle down and get my car finished so I can actually really drive the thing!
    Are you following the Retro Racing R build? Skip to the last page to see the Honda K series install..
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben, as a father of 7, in sure you can figure out a way to make your own stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    oh, i definitely am capable of making my own stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Are you following the Retro Racing R build? Skip to the last page to see the Honda K series install..
    I'm going to find it now....I have not seen this one I dont think!