Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bell housing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On mine I can see the flywheel.
    Does that mean that it is non sfi? And if so does that mean that I will not be able to take it to any track ( road coarse or 1/4 mile) ?

Thanks
    Jim

I just found out that I can track it this way, just not wheel to wheel.
    Last edited by Packer fan; 02-28-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: New info
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    On mine I can see the flywheel.
    Does that mean that it is non sfi? And if so does that mean that I will not be able to take it to any track ( road coarse or 1/4 mile) ?

Thanks
    Jim
    You can see the flywheel where? Through the clutch arm opening? Normal. SFI or non-SFI.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    D1D334EB-A216-444E-AE82-B5335220414E.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You can see the flywheel where? Through the clutch arm opening? Normal. SFI or non-SFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you left the backing plate off. A Quicktime has a steel plate behind the flywheel, same diameter as he bell housing. Not sure about the aluminum bell housing. From past experience, bell housings have a sheetmetal cover plate to close the opening... keeping road debris out.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 03-01-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    It didn’t come with any.
    Maybe I will call Mike Forte.
    It also doesn’t have any bolt holes on the bottom like I see on the ones with the plates.

The one in Asbites post has a cover but it has holes in it higher up.
    Last edited by Packer fan; 03-01-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Additional info

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Looks like you left the backing plate off. A Quicktime has a steel plate behind the flywheel, same diameter as he bell housing. Not sure about the aluminum bell housing. From past experience, bell housings have a sheetmetal cover plate to close the opening... keeping road debris out.
    Been away all day, so just getting a chance to respond. That's the first thing I noticed with the picture as well. No block plate. Wasn't expecting that. So X2 on Ducky2009's response. Also see you have an aluminum bell so all the discussion and pictures about QuickTime aren't applicable. Unfortunately this is a pretty big deal because you have everything assembled including the engine in the chassis. The bell has to be separated from the engine so it can go between. Typically also will require the flywheel and clutch to be removed, although I don't know what the one for that bell housing looks like. Some can slip behind the installed flywheel. But many just have a hole for the crankshaft and require the flywheel to be removed so it can be placed against the engine block. Since I don't know that style, also don't know what bolts it has along the bottom. Maybe none. It's not SFI rated (an aluminum bell won't be in any case) so likely doesn't have the ring of bolts like the SFI QuickTimes. In addition to covering up the hole you're seeing, the block plate provides the proper spacing for the transmission input shaft into the pilot bearing. Also for the starter motor. Each are now off about 1/8-inch (the thickness of the block plate) which may/may not be a problem. On a side note, and maybe I mentioned this before, an aluminum bell housing is no longer available for the Coyote/T-56 combination. So Mike apparently still had one around. Too bad the block plate was omitted. Kind of a big deal. The only bell housing that I know of for the Coyote/T-56 combination today is the QuickTime RM-8080.

Edit: After writing the above, checked the standard block plate (or starter index plate as Ford is calling it) for the stock Coyote with a manual trans. I have no idea if it fits your setup. But at least this gives you an idea of what we're talking about. If by any chance this one would fit, it doesn't require major disassembly. You can also see, at least for this one, there are no bolts along the bottom. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-7007-A
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-02-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just spoke to Mike Forte. He is going to send a blocking plate Monday.
    I guess I’m pulling a transmission when I get home. He said I can cut the plate in half and just slide the bell housing off a little and install it. I’m thinking it might be easier to pull the transmission first because the whole thing won’t want to move with the clutch and transmission installed. The car is on a lift and I have a transmission jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edwardb,
    The block off plate must be different than the one you had a link too because he is talking about cutting it and that one doesn’t look like I would need to cut it. Do you know if there was a reason they stopped making the aluminum bell housings? Maybe I would be better off just getting a quick time bell housing if there was a reason they don’t make that one anymore.