Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: setting the ride height

Post Thanks / Like

setting the ride height

I’ve just installed the panhard bar. On page 80 of the Assembly Manual it says,

“To set the pinion angle, make sure that your ride height is where you want it, and then adjust the upper arm until the desired angle is reached. We usually run about 2 degrees up on the rear axle, but you can adjust this to fit your particular set-up.”

What is the ride height, and how do you set it, and how do you know where to set it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where you are in your build. The car needs to be pretty much complete to have all the weight on the tires.
    You measure from the 4" frame rails to the ground at each corner. Adjustments are made by moving the threaded collars on the coilovers.

You will get several different opinions on heights. I run 4" all the way around. A lot of people run 1/4 or 1/2" higher in the rear. Here is why I no longer do that. I autocross and track my car. These cars need rear grip. Rake takes rear grip away.

That being said, do your initial setting about 1/2" high. The springs will settle in on a new car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I don't even know how to use this forum. This is my third attempt at replying. Anyway thanks for the help. Why did they put that instruction at this point of the build?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can set the ride height at any point in the build, just know that it will change as the car nears finish. Once finished, just reset the height back were it was. The height needs to be established for alignment, you can do this with or without engine or body.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy approximation is to set rear axle centerline and front spindle centers 8 1/2 in. Above the bottom of the 4 in. Frame tubes. The 8 1/2 in dimension is arrived at by subtracting the desired ride height from the tire radius. It needs to be figured based on specific ride height and tire diameter for your car. (Slight variation car to car). Use jack stands to keep this axle to frame relation during build even though the car is 2 feet or so off the ground.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe