Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ignition and Coil Placement

Post Thanks / Like

Ignition and Coil Placement

For those builders who have an ignition box and coil, where did you end up placing both? I'm leaning towards the firewall, slightly off center towards the PS for the ignition box, which seems to be where many place it. I roughly mocked up where the wiper motor will go and the placement below seems like it will work fine and not cause any interference.

For the coil, looks like most have it installed on the intake manifold. For my application, I have my carburetor fuel rail on the PS side, so the rear of the DS is the best candidate (see below). My only concern here is that I may have interference with Forte's mechanical throttle linkage arm.

Any other creative places to locate the coil that aren't an eyesore?

Thanks in advance!
    Tony
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Some coils must be mounted vertically, so verify that. Also, It's best to keep the coil wire as short as possible. Make sure you can get to that MSD ignition box after the car is complete, just in case you might have to replace it.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    We mounted MSD box above radiator on upper cross brace. The coil is mounted vertically using a bracket between the ps pump and the water pump. My son 3D printed the mount for the coil, not sure where we got the coil bracket.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

4. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my MSD box on top of the passenger footbox. The coil is mounted on the passenger side "F" panel. 6K miles later, no issues.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    My coil is mounted at the front of engine driver side. It looks like you have a PS pump there like I did. I shortened two of the spacers by 1/4 inch and made a 1/4 inch aluminum plate sticking up to hang the coil on.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

7. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Some coils must be mounted vertically, so verify that. Also, It's best to keep the coil wire as short as possible. Make sure you can get to that MSD ignition box after the car is complete, just in case you might have to replace it.

Bob
    Thanks, Bob. I have the high vibration version (PN 8222) which states it can me mounted vertically or horizontally. Thanks for the callout on the length of the coil wire.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    I mounted my MSD box on top of the passenger footbox. The coil is mounted on the passenger side "F" panel. 6K miles later, no issues.
    Thanks, Doug. Where did you place your radiator overflow tank then?

I see you have a PM 347 too, nice! ��

Post Thanks / Like
    The coil is mounted to the PS head, it's a Ford coil, went through 2 MSD coils in under 6000 miles. There are junk in my opinion.
    IMG_2313.jpeg
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint