Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 302/351w headers

Post Thanks / Like

302/351w headers

Good morning! I'am new to this format i was wondering if any difference exist between the
    ford 302 eng. Exhaust flange and the 351w set up,considering up-graded to a 351 w. Eng.my current set -up was all from ffr. Mk-4 roadster 5.0/302 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Due to the 351's higher deck the 4 into 4 headers are different than the ones for a 302.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The 302 and 351 headers have the same flanges, but are slightly different. The 351 deck hieght is taller. If you ran the 302 headers on a 351 engine, the side pipes would come out of the body too high.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brian

I have a 302 engine and the headers from F5 come out too high on the body, so The Side pipes don't fit. Did I get the wrong headers?

Thanks
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    What heads do you have on your engine? It is common to have to trim the openings on the body when fitting the 4 into 4 headers and the side pipes. How high are the pipes? Can you get any pictures of the headers in relation to the body openings?
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Headers don't fit

Brian, Here are the pictures of how the headers come out of the body openings, the engine is a 347 from the Engine Factory, the first picture is the passenger side and the second one is the driver side

passenger side header misfit.JPGdriver side header misfit2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    While we wait to see what Brian has to say I'll point out a couple of things I've learned:
    ---The visual can be very decieving; they almost always look high but frequently are not so much once the pipes are on.
    ---The front splash panels ("elephant ears") push the body outward behind the front wheels and need to be in place when fitting pipes.
    ---It is almost a given that the FFR cutouts will need to be opened up further.
    ---If one side does wind up higher than the other loosen the big bolts in the motor mounts and rock the engine in the slots. Since the headers extend so far outward just a slight bit of change, like 1/8", makes a big difference at the end by the body.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Bolt the side pipes on first, like Jeff says, it's very deceiving..
    My headers lined up the same way, and I thought "no way" they will ever work..bolted on the pipes, and voila!
    A little work with a small drum sander (opening the body up slightly more), was all that was required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you try the methods that Jeff and Bill suggested? The pipes can be decieving until you start lining up your side pipe and so a little sanding on the body. It usually looks like more of a problem than it is.
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Bill and Jeff, I was out of town for 2 weeks and just saw your response, thanks for he encouragement. Winter in Cleveland is not a good time to work on cars in an unheated garage so I covered it up for the winter. I do feel better that you have had the same concern and I look forward to trying your suggestions in the spring.

Thanks again

Bob