BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed’s and Pam’s 818r build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Ed’s and Pam’s 818r build thread

We pick up our kit on April 13th, been collecting the necessary parts. Picked Perrin 2” equal length headers and all 4 corners STI hubs, Brembos. I got the exhaust ceramic coated and all the powder coating done for $550. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

BF869101-8315-4005-9FA5-7C21D098FE68.jpeg
    DE8F1F30-C200-4FAD-AA5C-C7E0CFAF89C9.jpeg

Those hubs were crazy rusty hard to breakdown. Then found out that Subaru discontinued the tool $300 anyway required to install the group N bushing I bought for the rear hub to trailing link. Ordered some tubing to try and fab a tool to install the bushing.
    Last edited by Brd.Prey; 02-28-2019 at 09:44 PM.

2. Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and enjoy your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Welcome and enjoy your build.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's great to have you aboard. Where are you located? What are the plans for your car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Located in Lakeland FL. halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Occasional track car that is registered for those sunny fall and spring days for a spirited drive or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the kit last weekend. 2650 miles round trip 56 hours and 660 dollars in gas and 148 dollars in tolls. Spent the week inventorying and figuring out a storage plan. Built a steel 2x4 frame suspended from the ceiling to hold all the body parts and aluminum. I also got one of those bin racks for the bolts. Started today on modifying the front spindle brackets for STI spindles. Wife got all the splatter off for powder coating.
    IMG_2198 (1).jpg
    storage2.jpg
    storage1.jpg
    Pam sanding frame.jpg
    Last edited by Brd.Prey; 04-20-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished the STI spindle bracket and Vraptor Spoiler Mount.
    stispindlemt.jpg
    spoilermt1.jpg
    spoilermt2.jpg
    spoilermt3.jpg

9. Likes biknman, Mitch Wright, Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any pictures/info on how you modified the spindle bracket?

Post Thanks / Like
    I will post an inside pic. Basically drilled out the 2 holes they weld the inside bracket on with, inside bracket spacers will fall out. Then the bracket will fit the STI Spindle. I then made a card stock template of the STI splindle as it is a different shape. I then cut out of 3/16 steel 2 new plates for the outside. I lined up the lower holes of my bracket with the supplied bracket kept the outside straight edge of the supplied bracket and my new plates (if anything this might add more camber that can be removed by adjusting the upper A-arms. Welded them on and drilled out the new hole. I then built up the supplied bracket with mig beads until it closely matched my new bracket. I also mig'd up the old holes in the supplied bracket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I ended up buying these from bds818dwk a while back. I was curious what you did. I'm planning to use a complete STI donor.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post338709

Post Thanks / Like
    Very similar, I just matched the shape if the struct machining. I thought this would give it some added strength.
    stispindlemt.jpg
    Inside STI Bracket mod.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Managed to push my self for 14 hours Chassis work in last 2 days with regular work.

I was able to drop off the chassis for powder coating!!!! I completed all my chassis mods. Vraptor Wing mount, Zack's idea of removable engine bracers, Kurks 6 speed frame mod. Wayne's telling me on his 818 he would cover the seat area with 11ga steel plate (5/16 button heads are recessed so it is removeable) and seat mounting points.

Spoiler Mount
    spoilermt1.jpg
    spoilermt2.jpg
    spoilermt3.jpg
    Removable Rear Brace
    I decided to use 2 bolts per attachment and weld nuts on the bottom
    Rear Brace1.jpg
    Rear Brace2.jpg
    Rear Brace3.jpg
    Transmission cut
    Trans_cut.jpg
    1/8 steel bottom. The welded tabs are where the recessed bolt heads go that screw into threaded holes in welded on tabs on the frame.
    !!ga bottom.jpg

15. Likes Mitch Wright, Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the chassis at the powder coating place it was time to catch up on the motor. It is a 2.5L STI 2006. My son and I installed the Arc Tangent windage tray, Killer B pickup and Killer B pan. We also filled the original holes in the manifold Throttle Body flange and tig welded them up. Then re-drilled the to fit a Subaru BRZ aftermarket DBW 72mm throttlebody manufactured by Grams. I real beautiful piece. The BRZ and the 2006 STI use the same connector and the same wiring to the pins. So basically it is a kinda a drop-in mod. The STI intake needs lots of porting to match the gaskets of the TVG housing. The TVG not so much. That along with opening the intake TB side to 72mm should take care of the intake tract. I have 2" Perrin headers for the exhaust side. I am planning on running a TD06-20g turbo and I have 1000CC injectors.

IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Likes Zach34, Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't already I recommend the KB Oil Control valve and either the KB or Crawford Ail Oil Separator. That combination with the KB pan/pick up and Arctangent oil Control plate worked flawlessly for me for a lot of track miles.

19. Thanks Brd.Prey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely agree and plan on Oil Control,valve, I already have the vented to air IAG comp AOS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, It has been about 6 weekends worth of work. We have a roller. No plumbing yet. Hopefully this upcoming weekend we will be installing the engine transmission. I want to thank all you guys and girls for posting I have borrowed or felt more confidence in my approach from all of your posts. Plus thanks to Wayne for answering so quickly on all those posts.

Especially worthy of mention is all the time working out the DA Koni shocks. I was shocked to discover I am the first one to put them on an "R". I also had steering rack issues. Not sure why but my steering rack mount heights are different. I used Craigs "Mechie" rack mount and I needed to cut it and flat and round out the mount stop. My rack on the passenger side would hit the control arm bolt while my driver side had an inch or so clearance. Spent forever getting the seat mount right for ergonomics and broom stick. I also made my own steering wheel mount. Drilled like 600 times in order to make the sides direct 10-32 screw on. Swaybar I know know why no one uses one! It sucks to mount it. I had to make delrin bases for the factory U-clamps. I went with a 13mm front bar and 425# springs in the front and I want an adjustable 10mm bar with 500# springs in the back. I also went with a Tilton 600 throttle pedal and it mounts awesome because it looks like it was designed to bolt to the end of the wilwood set and it is just right to take up the clearance of one of the supplied spacers. Please ask if you want to see something I have pics of most everything. I love the Milwaukee cordless riveter. I painted all body parts with a Direct to Metal 2 part EPOXY primer then top coated with grey or black wrinkle spray. The great thing about this is primer is 30 min till dry and the I would use an electric heater to cure the wrinkle coat. So, any part can be painted and installed in an hour or so. No waiting. That combo has turned out to be "VERY" durable. Copied Mechie Zero Decible radiator mounts but had to hand make them as I am sans mill and lathe, but I have a TIG so my spacer is welded on.
    IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2297.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    steering bracket (2).jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2276.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg

22. Likes Zach34, Mitch Wright, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will make a specific post in suspension about fitting shocks and steering rack in a couple days.

24. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing attention to detail. Love the color choice for the frame as well. Keep it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    So delinquent posting. I have taken pics along the way. This weekend ran hard lines for the intercooler water and built 2 mounts, one for the intercooler pump and one for the oil filter. The motor is in, I ended up raising it about 1/2 at the front mounts because my Killer B oil pan was the lowest part. That cured that problem. I used a 1/2 spiral machine reamer $20 of amazon and with a drill I made all the stock bushing and frame holes exactly 1/2. Worked great all the bolts are same size and their is no slop. I think I am the first person to use the Koni DA shocks. They didn't fit at all. I had to grind the shock, the frame you name it. I drilled new holes up higher and more inside for the top shock mounts. These shocks are 16" long. I also added tender springs and dividers. With this car so light and using a 500# spring I cant see how a tender is not absolutely required to stop the spring from backing around when the suspension extends. Mounted the drivers seat, firewall and figured out FIA legal seatbelt anchors. I also ran all the fuel lines and installed a surge tank and pump. Main radiator lines are run.

Pics are basically reverse order chronologically

IMG_2505 (2).jpg
    IMG_2502 (2).jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    Seat belt5.jpg
    Seat belt1.jpg
    Seat belt2.jpg
    Seat belt4.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    Last edited by Brd.Prey; 07-21-2019 at 06:17 PM.

27. Likes AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

29. Thanks DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Likes Zach34, AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shock data

Shock data.JPG

31. Thanks Zach34 thanked for this post
    Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful work.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

33. Thanks Brd.Prey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting the pictures and info on the shocks. I ran dual-adjustable Koni's on my Roadster many years ago, replacing the OEM Pro Shocks that came with the kit. They worked fantastic, especially on the track. Yours look like an improved model.

My Roadster was similar in weight to what most 818's will weigh, and roughly 50/50 weight distribution. I can't remember what spring rates I ran, but I want to say in the neighborhood of 550-450. The suspension worked well, but you are right - with those heavy springs, suspension travel is minimal, and the springs only compressed less than an inch from the weight of the car. The tenders are a good call.

Interested to hear about how it works, what you think of the shocks, and spring rates.

35. Thanks Brd.Prey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also plan on running a front and rear sway bar. I find it the easiest way to adjust under/over steer. Right now I have the 13mm in the front and I am gonna start out with and adjustable 17 mm in the rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning on front and rear sway bars, too. Do you have a ballpark on spring rates you are targeting for the bars?

I made NASCAR-style splined bars for my Roadster. Lots of adjustment. That's my rough plan for the 818, too, but need to figure out placement. On the roadster they tightened up the car a lot - made it feel a little easier to control.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I need to work out the install location in the rear. My plan is to add a bunch of holes. Balance (over under steer) the car front to rear using the rear sway holes. Once I am balanced front to rear I will start evaluating spring rates.

Post Thanks / Like
    My front bar is connected. One of the first tests I was going to run once I had a baseline would have been to disconnect it. Then the trans came apart.
    As soon as I get it back on track I'll do another baseline then disconnect it. Most of the guys running Rs I think have either disconnected theirs or never installed it (per the R manual).
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 07-26-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    With the CG being so low in these cars, especially at R height, we might end up with very light sway bar spring rates.

They made a very big difference in the Roadster. I suppose it should be less dramatic in an 818R.

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed most don’t run them but I'm wondering if that is responsible for the really high spring rates. My goal is to have suspension with an adjustable range so that I can adjust it to soft bottom on the worse bump on the track. My first clue to problem was the recommended compression and rebound settings being max soft. Too me that says the shocks need revolving? I have no experience with cars this light so I may just be out to lunch. A supple suspension provides better traction in rough areas, a little squat can go along way.

42. Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually wasn't aware FFR was offering the DA shocks for the 818. Looks like they don't list them on their part site anymore. Not trying to slam FFR here, but I would not expect those shocks to be right for the 818 out of the box. Probably best to see if you can get hold of a Koni tech and go over the specs of the car with them. They felt good on the Cobra, and the car was more controllable after I installed them, but that was all going off my own seat-of-the-pants feel, and I'm certainly not experienced enough to evaluate a shock by feel. The dimensions (stroke, max extended length) of the DA shocks for the Cobra/Roadster was not ideal either. They allowed the front suspension to droop far too low when jacking the car up. I made some small cable restraints to limit the travel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    I actually wasn't aware FFR was offering the DA shocks for the 818. Looks like they don't list them on their part site anymore. Not trying to slam FFR here, but I would not expect those shocks to be right for the 818 out of the box. Probably best to see if you can get hold of a Koni tech and go over the specs of the car with them. They felt good on the Cobra, and the car was more controllable after I installed them, but that was all going off my own seat-of-the-pants feel, and I'm certainly not experienced enough to evaluate a shock by feel. The dimensions (stroke, max extended length) of the DA shocks for the Cobra/Roadster was not ideal either. They allowed the front suspension to droop far too low when jacking the car up. I made some small cable restraints to limit the travel.
    I did check the shock is shorter than the bind point on the ball joints when full extended and fully compressed. Not by much mind you.

45. Thanks Zach34 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This weekend not much done but installed the filter mount and plumbed the oil system and made a mount for the Accusump electric valve and pressure switch.
    IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg

47. Likes Mitch Wright, Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good weekend, converted the 2011 6 speed to front wheel only, replaced axle seals and outed on the shift linkage. Mechie can you check it. I also built custom mounts for the Oil Control Valve(Killer Bee), the Air Oil separator IAG and he AccuSump electronic solenoid valve. I also mounted an overflow tank in the front that should never see overflow with 2.0 bar radiator and 1.3 intercooler radiator. The overflow will be in the rear. Lastly I mounted a Mishimoto after engine coolant tank. Emergency brake and plumbing all the brakes next.
    364F4792-E1FF-49F0-A8FF-2B6418C23095.jpg
    5AE7FC19-126B-4A40-9D11-4684F2BE904B.jpg
    1DEA3B27-20A9-4838-AEE5-CC535C7E8575.jpg
    21FA305B-1621-4993-9F0B-110552D0AC60.jpeg
    E976E592-9DD4-4352-B5B1-28C0BD462ED0.jpeg
    1290A8BC-EFAC-4A23-A19E-7F91AF7A4706.jpeg
    670DA5C5-3922-481E-8DCD-F30957702A3E.jpg
    336F325C-1B6A-4A2E-97C9-E9A50CA55877.jpeg
    2CA202C9-FE00-4108-9DDC-230DD7C2D761.jpeg

49. Thanks DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOA (Work Of Art)
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

51. Thanks Brd.Prey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much accomplished this weekend, I goofed off to much! I finished the emergency brake mount and the cable bracket.
    E9997535-1663-4CB0-9480-9D537DFF8B68.jpg
    C18C24B1-55EE-4521-8AB6-9190AED816D2.jpg
    03CD01E5-AC47-41FF-9937-EEBDE785AE78.jpg

53. Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the turbo I decided on. It should spool fast giving me a broad flat powerband.
    27DBF8DA-4D8C-4AB0-B214-B1C7F9458D97.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Friday, got home to the Axles from The Drive Shaft Shop and the new Turbo.
    85B373E2-7251-45B7-83D5-753C679EEFAB.jpg
    1F13838D-3BB1-4FCD-95D1-DCDC04B320D8.jpg

56. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weekend of fun coming.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Wife and I installed the new Drive Shaft Shop axles supposedly good for 850hp. The price ended up at $1040 including shipping and they have the optional high temp grease and vented boots for endurance. I also ran all the brake lines and Alf the clutch. I needed some hydraulic fitting to finish the clutch line. I also need to secure the lines. I installed 2 2psi check valves to stop the pad from traveling on there own. I ran the rear brakes and cutch lines down the middle.
    45EDD3C4-8547-4D72-A156-5E2B31FC4135.jpg
    CAD28770-95FF-4728-AF70-17FB30686100.jpg
    8428AD2B-8449-423E-8E2F-EBACE48A0B79.jpeg

59. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    grommets?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast