Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another custom body thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Korperwulf, I like the direction you are headed but in your early posts you said you were exploring lengthening both ends of the car, so I did a little measuring that may shed some light on why I'm not a fan of lengthening the front overhang. My car measures 30" from the front of the tire contact patch to the lower foremost grille feature. With 5 1/2" of ground clearance, the maximum approach angle is just over 10 degrees. If you increase front overhang by 4 1/2", the approach angle would be just over 9 degrees, assuming the ride height stays at 5 1/2". Most ppl are running significantly less than that, so I don't see extending the front overhang. The car really needs to be lengthened to accomodate taller drivers, so cockpit lengthening would be my choice, but that might be a bridge too far for most ppl. It really needs a complete makeover from the frame up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Korperwulf, I like the direction you are headed but in your early posts you said you were exploring lengthening both ends of the car, so I did a little measuring that may shed some light on why I'm not a fan of lengthening the front overhang. My car measures 30" from the front of the tire contact patch to the lower foremost grille feature. With 5 1/2" of ground clearance, the maximum approach angle is just over 10 degrees. If you increase front overhang by 4 1/2", the approach angle would be just over 9 degrees, assuming the ride height stays at 5 1/2". Most ppl are running significantly less than that, so I don't see extending the front overhang. The car really needs to be lengthened to accomodate taller drivers, so cockpit lengthening would be my choice, but that might be a bridge too far for most ppl. It really needs a complete makeover from the frame up.
    I think you'll find that I never suggested lengthening the car... Front overhang or otherwise. I empathize with wanting more room for the driver, but modifying the chassis is not something that most people would be willing to do. All I want to do is make the exterior as attractive as the performance prospect of the little beast! As a matter of fact, I would want to shorten the rear overhang as much as possible, but the transmission doesn't leave much room for that by all appearances.

3. Thanks Presto51 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the last design. Do you think the front fenders are a little to bulgy?

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the one who suggested lengthening the car. As stated it would have drawbacks, but it would also help with the height/length proportions.

I really like the concepts Korperwulf has, with the exception that it doesn't look anything like a mid-engine car. I know some people don't care, but to me I like the shelf in the back like an NSX/R8/FordGT has, and with the long hood and the slope hatch, the rendering comes of looking more like a mustang than a supercar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    I'm the one who suggested lengthening the car. As stated it would have drawbacks, but it would also help with the height/length proportions.

I really like the concepts Korperwulf has, with the exception that it doesn't look anything like a mid-engine car. I know some people don't care, but to me I like the shelf in the back like an NSX/R8/FordGT has, and with the long hood and the slope hatch, the rendering comes of looking more like a mustang than a supercar.
    I'm confused. You drew the concept 4.5" longer on both ends to see if it would be similarly proportional to the GTM?
    Either way, it will never have the same ratios.
    I'm kinda likin the concept but today I passed a new Subaru, about the same color as the rendering, and it looked eerily like the proposal. That kinda makes me not want to go that route either. Actually, the uniqueness of the present body is a calling card to others who see it as a whole new car, not a pro-streeted version of a factory edition.
    If you're looking for honest feedback, there it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw, I just measured my car from shop floor to roof top and it is 48". I'm set at 5.5" clearance to the road. That may help those ratio numbers some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    I'm confused. You drew the concept 4.5" longer on both ends to see if it would be similarly proportional to the GTM?
    Not the GTM specifically, but yes I did a quick sketch of the ends stretched to see if I liked the proportions better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a particular body in mind and am wondering if it will fit. I'm hoping one of you can give me a measurement. I need the frame width from outside to outside across the middle. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 40flash View Post
    I have a particular body in mind and am wondering if it will fit. I'm hoping one of you can give me a measurement. I need the frame width from outside to outside across the middle. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out with this.
    You'll need to be more specific. That numbers changes depending on whether you are measuring at the bottom, top, front, back, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. I have not yet had the opportunity to see an 818 in person. I'll try again. It appears that the flat sides of the chassis from the roll bar to the front bulkhead might be a consistant width. Is that true? If so, what is that measurement? If not I'd like to know how wide the chassis is at the roll bar and how wide at the front bulkhead. These two with the length measurement between the two points would allow me to figure out the the taper and know if my body will fit. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The center bulkhead is 50.25 x 26.0 & rectangular. Rollbar is 13.25 high. I didn't measure the front before hanging the body, sorry.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the original question in this thread;
    I've always loved the Alpine A110. In both tarmac and full rally versions. And both the modern version and the classic 60s-70s one.
    The classic 60s-70s would probably be the best seller.

The modern version:

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 07-25-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12