Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Solution to high G oil loss

Post Thanks / Like

Solution to high G oil loss

I was thinking if you could close the valve cover breather hole on the high G side it would keep the oil in the engine. What about mounting and adjusting 2 tilt switches so they close at .8 g each direction they activate the electric valves mounted near the valve cover on the side that has the tilt switch tripped. Crazy? Too complicated?

26C67964-1AC1-4AA9-BD8D-0571EA3ABD99.png
    76DCDA3A-A76D-415A-85B7-95B2E117B34C.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just buy the Killer Bee Oil Control Valve if you want to close off the high G side. It appears to be completely mechanical and dead simple to install. No chance of electrical issues / gremlins.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the KB OCV works great with the KB pan/pickup and Arctangint oil control plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    I am using the KB OCV works great with the KB pan/pickup and Arctangint oil control plate.
    Exactly the pieces I have ordered, the last piece I need to order is the KB OCV. Probably what made me think of this.

But if it was connected to the vehicle roll/pitch/Yaw sensor it could be even more effective than KB design. I do come from German cars so complex is in my nature!

Post Thanks / Like
    The valve is very simple that is the beauty of it, a couple of ball bearings open and close as the car is loaded right to left. I have a ton of track miles on my car without issues. My build philosophy from the start was to keep it simple and easy to work on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to echo what Mitch says, not just for oil. I have had a number of track days cut short because something wasn't doing what it was supposed to (clunking CV, erratic temp sender). I always took the safe route and went home. Never really got my entrance fee on those days. I'm an engineer who runs a factory. The temptation for cool solutions is large and they can work. I now aim for robustness....maybe not as sexy, but works day in and day out.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are right of course, KISS always applies. I was just dreaming up a solution probably more for factory cars that is built from dependable parts after millions or test miles. Now a days the sensor and solenoid and actual moving part are capable of reporting if they dont work so factory solutions at least are less error prone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am happy we are going to have another car on the track. We all keep learning and benefit from each other's experiences (good and bad....). I forgot to mention one other "short day" when I lost my brakes. Some combination of a really short, twisty track and not changing the fluid often enough. Mostly operator error on the fluid.....