BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake light/turn signal question

Post Thanks / Like

Brake light/turn signal question

I have the one piece LED tail lights wired to a trailer harness (diode). For the rears only, the flasher works fine. But when I step on the brakes while the turn signal is flashing, it no longer flashes. Is it normal for the rear to stop flashing? It doesn't seem right as when Ill be at a stop light with the brakes on, the guy behind me won't know ill be turning.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    here is a pic

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never had good luck with the unpowered tail light converters. try buying a powered one and see if it works for you. I use one from UHaul all the time.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Reese 119130. But yes, the turn signal should over ride the brake light.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On Chris Nutting’s advice I bought a pair of these road master. Hypower 792 diodes, on Amazon, compact and easy to wire. $24.21 they’ve worked great on my 289. BTW my car goes in for paint this week.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    i fought them and gave up. Wired it using 3 relays. Search the internet for the wiring / logic but pretty easy. Works great. Someone may complain that it isn't the same logic. They are correct - when applying the brakes, a rear turn signal is opposite the front (on is off, off is on). So what?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my 2˘ but that's just about the screwiest thing I've ever heard of . . . even really old cars with only one tail light per side flashed the TS when the brake was applied, it's controlled by the TS switch which isolates the side blinking so the constant feed of the brake circuit doesn't override the flasher.

This is a do-able circuit using two "special" relays (DPST) available from most electronic supply houses for under $20 for two.
    FWIW, my Cobra runs this [custom] circuit without any "trailer adapters" or special wiring, has for the last 17 years . . . Front blinks at the same time as the rear, braking does NOT affect flashing, special diodes/resistors not required for LED's.

Doc

Schematics on request
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 03-03-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasnt sure if that was normal. I temporarily mocked up the system a few months ago. I dont remember the flasher not working when the brakes were applied back then. I think I would have noticed it back then. Maybe i rewired it wrong this time around. The difference in wwiring this time is that I added LED inducators on ghe dashboard. M Aybe a ground wire or somekind of feedback somewhere?