FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Cooks 818R build.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooks 818R build.

Well, I guess it's time to create my own build thread. I received the kit last week and have started the build. Well started the cutting would be closer to the truth.

I'm 6'3" and I'm starting with driver's seating and controls. I've already determined the stock fuel tank will not work for me as I have legs that need to go somewhere. I have done a test fitting to see if I can get under the broomstick test and cleared with about an inch extra space but the seat was too far forward. I will have to cut into the brace that is just in front of the fuel tank location to get the seat back and low enough to clear the broomstick. This will also allow me to not have to get crazy with the pedal placement. I will be able to shift them forward by 2 1/2 inches and I hope that will be enough or there will be considerably more fab needed to get them moved further than 2 1/2 inches.

This leads to my first question. With the seat basically on the floor pan how would one mount the seat belt tabs? I'm thinking steel floor pan (1/8-3/16 thick) for protection and a place to weld these tabs and be legal.

What have the taller 818'ers done for this?

SO getting ahead of myself a little. This car will be a track focused car and also registered for street driving. I have done much reading on here and will attempt to use the vast knowledge here with just using the stuff that works well and not go overboard with mods.

The donor is a 2006 WRX I picked up from Copart. That transaction went well and I got a creampuff considering the state of older WRX's being a magnet for modifications. Mine was all stock except for a Greddy cat back. Had a lot of service records from carfax including a new timing belt 20k before total and axles and brakes 10k before. The car was running and driving with some minor frame damage in the radiator support. Total cost $3,600.

One of my goals is to keep temperatures under control in a track environment. I plan on doing track days and not endurance racing so I plan to run 20-30 minutes at a time. I am focusing my cooling in the front of the car because that's where the air flow is. The engine will be using an Air to water inter cooler and a oil to water oil cooler. This I will hope eliminate the need for extensive ducting in the engine bay to try to get air back there for cooling. I will attempt to get some air to blow against the underside of the engine and flow out of the car easily but I think this will take so experiments to get it sufficient.

I will also be using E85 since I have a few sources around me and I like the benefits of using E85 in a boosted engine. The cooling affect and high octane attract me most.

Part list so far for the build.
    Misimoto radiator with the ports on on side and not the middle like on a stock WRX.
    Oil to water oil cooler for a Volvo. About 3x-4x the capacity as the stock oil cooler.
    ArcTangent Design Oil control plate.
    Moroso oil pick up
    Cobb access port w/ intake tube, 3 port boost control, Fuel pressure switch, flex fuel kit
    1300x ID injectors
    2x AEM fuel pumps
    Surge tank
    TD06SL2 20g Turbo
    Stock 4 pots up front and caddy rear brakes. Wanting to fit a 15" wheel front and upgrade at a later date to an unknown 4 pot front caliper. Probably Wilwood.
    iWire Harness <Brian has been a big help so far!

More will be added for sure. The first task is getting the driver's controls and seating sorted.

I'm grateful for this forum and I can easily say without this resource I would have not bought the 818r.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, it's good to see another R getting built. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good idea to get your seating and controls straightened out before doing anything else, saves redoing stuff later!

I wish I could get E85 near me. Where are you located by the way?
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Welcome, it's good to see another R getting built. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good idea to get your seating and controls straightened out before doing anything else, saves redoing stuff later!

I wish I could get E85 near me. Where are you located by the way?
    Bay Area Northern California.

https://propelfuels.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. It's nice to have another R. I look forward to following your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your new project and have fun. I will see if I can find some photos of what I did for my belt mounts. The only challenge I remember was my submarine belts, my seat sits on the X braces. interior 1.JPG Sort of found a photo, I mounted the lap belts to the FFR mounts, the sub belts I mounted to the bolts on the seat mounts which gave me just enough room for the belts.
    I am just under 300whp and haven't had a need for additional oil coolers my oil temp on 100*day runs around 225-230 with water temp under 200* (with a stock WRX radiator). As we know more power more heat if I was to install a oil cooler I would use a oil to water unit.

FYI the AP BRZ/GT86 brakes will bolt on the front and are amazing, and 9lbs less per corner than the OEM brakes. https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...0299brzfrsgt86 I am using this setup front and rear, I did have to make an adaptor for the rear.

I have family in the Bay Area and visit often, I will reach out next time I am out west.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-05-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! About time somebody made a new R build thread.

I'm 6' 3", too, and coming from the cramped quarters of my FFR Roadster I built years ago, I refused to be uncomfortable in this car. I completely rebuilt the floor frame and footbox area. Details and pictures are in my build thread (https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...R-Build-Thread). My build has been embarrassingly slow, mainly due to my job and my penchant for unnecessary customization.

Sounds like a great find on the donor, congrats! Please post lots of pictures as you progress!

7. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also had to cutout the floor of the car to get the seat low enough to clear the broomstick test. I now have about an inch of clearance with a helmet on. I am using a semi-monocoque type of bracing under the seat. Where the seat will be just about flush with the floor board minus the skin thickness. .090"
    IMG_0739.jpg

The bars are just tacked in for fitting. I do fit in there well now. I can extend my leg all the way and just reach the firewall.
    IMG_0742.jpg

I have temporarily mounted the steering rack and column with the wheel and positioned it to be comfortable. You can see the long bolts the column is hanging from. I am having a 2" spacer made for it. The wheel is in a perfect position for me now. I can go lock to lock without hitting anything. I will need to install a quick release hub. It's not easy getting in and out of this thing. Once I'm in it is comfortable.

I also mounted the pedals 2.5" back using spacers I made and it's strong with just the three I made so far. There will be 6 total when completed. Just test fitting now.
    IMG_0740.jpg

I will need to fab some new firewall panels to enclose the pedal assembly.

Overall I'm very happy with the fitting so far. I will need to finish weld the floor as well as skin it. Then I will need to fab the seat belt brackets. I have yet to purchase the belts. I really need to look at the mounting hardware and find ones that are not too long. The seat is right on the floor and the back is up against the firewall.

Here's a pic of the donor. I was totaled by Wolverine attacking it.
    57004767938__C564D9CF-A8EE-4B5B-9A8D-C7F2EDFB6558.JPG

9. Likes aquillen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick Update,

I finished the fab work and sent the chassis to be powder coated. I am liking the results. Thanks to Brian the iWire harness is finished and I can begin assembling the car now.
    IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg

11. Likes Mitch Wright, Rob T, Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Started the build up again. Hooked up with a Youtuber to document and give expertise in all things Subaru.

13. Likes jbs72697, Scott Meyer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watch the Subaru Only channel guy and was wondering if the build was on the forum. Cool, will be fun to watch.
    BTW, are you using a 5 speed? If so I hope you've looked at my posts on dropping the transmission tail down and have made some modifications to incorporate that.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to have found the YouTube builder! And always good to see another R-build going on.

Funny, when I first saw the Subaru Only video, my first thought was: "I wonder if the builder has reviewed Sgt. Gator's info on the trans angle...?"

Looking forward to following your build, here and on the Subaru Only channel.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

16. Likes Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work DWGCOOKS. I'm thinking about having a subaru impreza delivered to my driveway for an 818 build. I'm in Concord, CA. Would appreciate any words or wisdom.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Danville with some words and limited knowledge. Sent you a message with my number.