Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Roadster Fresh Air Vent

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Fresh Air Vent

I wanted to add a fresh air vent to the drivers side of my Mk 3 but I didn't like most of the installations I saw- 3" duct mounted fairly high in the engine bay.
    With the car up on a lift, it looked like a 2" duct would nestle along the frame below the lower A-arm.
    It does.

Here what I wound up with. I used 2" stainless exhaust pipe I had, some 2" defroster duct, and a repurposed Explorer throttle body for a control valve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes Snakely liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neat idea!
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clever. Love the throttle body. One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you putting a screen at the intake end, to prevent a wasp ending up in your footbox?
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Are you putting a screen at the intake end, to prevent a wasp ending up in your footbox?
    No- I'm not that concerned but I could just shove some screening in the intake, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you see it through the wheel well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_pilate View Post
    Can you see it through the wheel well?
    Not really- it's visually blocked by the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty slick!
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done. I would keep my eye open for an inlet piece to gather air from the entire opening.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Nicely done. I would keep my eye open for an inlet piece to gather air from the entire opening.
    Yes- I could use the brake duct inlets but I'm not sure that will be necessary. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet due to a sprained left ankle and cold weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting idea on the throttle body. I used exhaust cutouts for mine.

My opinion is you should put mesh in both cosmetically and functionally. The only issue I see is that the tube will likely end up with a lot of sand and dirt in the low spot. It would only be a 1 minute maintenance item though.