Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Build school

Post Thanks / Like

Build school

I will be going to the build school in May. For those that have attended the school is there anything that you wish you would have asked or something you should have studied a little closer? Like installing windshield so it does not crack?

Post Thanks / Like
    Take lots of notes. Take lots of photos. The only thing I wish I had done differently was review my notes more frequently after I got home. There were a few items that I struggled with that were covered in my notes, but I didn't see them until after the fact!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    During the school you will not be building the assemblies. They will show you how the parts arrive from FFR and then will pull out the completed assebly to install on the car. They will answer questions on how to put it together, but there just is not time to put everything together. The windshield was already in the frame so we just bolted it on and moved to the next piece. It is very good at showing the overall process and how the parts fit together, but not down to the tiny details. Have fun.

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're going with the same type of fuel system as the Build School car (which was EFI when I took the class), pay attention to and take photos of how and where they run the fuel lines, place the pressure regulator, etc. Especially if you intend to expand the passenger foot box.

Same for the brake lines.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, Click here for Windshield Video I found from a build school session someone recorded 10 years ago.

Have Fun!! I'm Jealous you get to attend a build school!
    Last edited by DadofThree; 03-05-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Take pictures of everything, even though it seems obvious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Write detailed notes in your Assembly Manual. The details you will hear and see will fade with time so I suggest writing them down and taking a pic. Specific close up pics of an issue or something you would like to do. You will have numerous pics on your camera when you get home that you can relate to the notes you wrote in the margins. This will jog your memory when the time comes to plan or assemble your car. It could be a while, my order/assembly timeline got pushed back years, not just months. Even knowing now how far it got pushed back, I would have still taken the class. Reading the forum and looking at the pictures is much more relatable after the hands on experience. I have probably forgotten 80% of the notes I wrote down and what pics I took. But set me down with my copy of the assembly manual and the pics, I could walk you through it like it was yesterday. Enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what others have said about taking copious notes. I went last month and was " that guy" with the note book and camera. All told I think I walked away with 15 pages ( more than my entire high school career) I also took about 50 pics with alot with my finger pointing to the spot I want to remember. IMO the pearls of wisdom are the best part the guys are great and will be happy to answer questions. Most of all HAVE FUN for me it was a great experence

Post Thanks / Like
    I go in April, can't wait. hopefully it will not be too cold in Michigan . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFCars.com forum was my build school.
    There wasn't anything during the build that I may have been slightly baffled about, that couldn't be answered within a day, by fellow forum members.
    It also helped that I was in the automotive business for 35 years, so I'm certainly not suggesting that the build school isn't a benefit for many. It's just that if you do get stuck on something, help is as close as your finger tips.

12. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the school last May. What a great experience! The only thing I wish I had done was try the various seats in the car. I only got a chance to sit in the standard seat in the car. I got to sit on the Kirkey seats while they were on the floor, so I got the general feel of them - but, that didn't help me later with questions about leg room and overall height.
    Ask the instructors anything and everything, they are extremely helpful.
    Most of all ENJOY!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasNMe View Post
    I go in April, can't wait. hopefully it will not be too cold in Michigan . . .
    See you there! I'll be driving over from the west side of the state.

Post Thanks / Like
    When i went it was -4 outside. They still took the car out

Post Thanks / Like
    For those coming in from out of state, I'll just go ahead and apologize now for our roads. If driving a rental car, make sure you get the insurance that covers flat tires and/or bent rims. Not all the roads are that bad, but...be warned.

Sincerely, over-gas-taxed-Michigan-citizen Mike

PS The Henry Ford Museum and the Ford Rouge Factory Tour (F150 plant) are great attractions if time allows.
    Last edited by 3yearplan; 03-06-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    I went in July 2017. Like others have said, take a lot of pictures and take notes. I took pictures and placed text notes in the picture itself. I copied the brake line runs and location from the school on my build. Like gps200 said, you will not be building the assemblies. Study those nd ask questions. They are all experienced and passionate instructors. Tak3 them out for dinner and drinks after class and pick their brains.

Since i flew in from CA, i made it a little vacation trip. I went a day early and hung out in Detroit. Went to the Ford Museum and assemble plant. Awesome tour and saw F150’s being manufacturedd. On the back end after the class I had dinner at nearby Brighton. Cool little town had a car show and a band play at the lake. The following day I went to the Roush plant in Livonia and went to Ann Arbor. Then took the redeye flight outof Detroit.

Youll have fun.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    I attended the build school last weekend. It gave me the confidence that I could actually build the car. I had a few concerns before taking the class that are gone now. The two teachers were great and very knowledgeable. Paul (edwardb) and a few other owners brought their cars by, that was a real treat. Very nice car Paul.

20. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went in april and enjoyed it. dave smith showed up and also went to dinner with us all the first night. he was great to talk to and he picked up the tab. class act. as for the school itself and taking notes, you are either the half of the class that takes a ton of pics and notes or you are part of the half that holds and uses tools to build the car. I took what pics I could, basically no notes, but hands on for just about everything . . . I learned a ton.