BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nesting phase

Post Thanks / Like

Nesting phase

Hello from Hudsonville, MI
    Made final payment on an Mk4 complete kit and completion date is March 9, can't wait to get started and I'm really looking forward to the build itself. This will not be the fastest build in the history of the forum. Prior to this spent about 3-4 months planning the build. Some details still unknown but for the most part I have the main sections planned out.
    Complete kit, wilwoods, IRS, 347 vs. 427, power steering, ? custom dash, RT turn signal, drop trunk, not quite sure about power brakes yet.
    Mike S

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your decision, you have lots to look forward to.
    It's certainly not a race to finish the build. Odd as it may seem to some, many people enjoy the build process so much, they really miss it when they are finished.

The decision is yours, as to power steering and brakes. You will get opinions on both, from forum members. We all have our own reasons as to needing them or not, but there is no right or wrong. It's a lot to do with what you as the driver want to experience. Old school feel, like the originals, or more a modern version. Plus, you can always switch later, after you've driven the roadster awhile. That's the nice thing about building your own car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Before going the 347 vs 427, what are your plans for the car? The 347 is a really nice engine with plenty of power so you can save a few bucks there if you wish. The only issue I have is with the block, but if you go Dart then no worries.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    I'm green when it comes to block choice, what's the issue with the non-Dart block?
    This forum and all the help was a big factor in deciding to do the build. I'm also signed up to do the build course in April.
    Thanks!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    This is going to be a cruiser. I have no intent of racing. I am in Michigan so it'll be a few month a year non-rain day cruiser. Agreed for that reason I was leaning toward the 347. Any real downside to the 427 other than increased cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing wrong with a non-dart block on a 347, however there has been some that have cracked but I beleive that is due to too much HP and pushing the engine on a track. So no a Dart block is not a requirement based on your needs as it will also increase the price of a 347. The 427 will cost you more and I am assuming you are thinking a SBF 427 which I believe is based on a 351 stroked to 427. Very nice engine however may have too much HP for what you need so then you are really only paying to be able to say, “yes it’s a 427 in there”. Nothing wrong with that either so you can’t go wrong with either engine just one will cost more and you likely won’t get anything more for the $$$.

Only downsides to a 427 are: cost, weight and height (you may have to play around with air filters but it has been done successfully)
    Last edited by KDubU; 03-07-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    I am building 9457 right now. I'm in Maumee, OH and part of the Great Lakes Cobra Club. I hope you've reached out and joined the club. The members include edwardb, who is an award winning builder of the FFR cobras. My last car had a 306 in it and it ran great. The new car will have a really tweaked 351. It's all about what you want to do with it. A 347 will give you more scares than you can ever be prepared for and the cost will be much less than a 427, big, or small block. Enjoy the build.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, welcome to the fun. If I had to do it over I would do the IRS, good choice. I would also do a 427 instead of my 408. I got my 408 from these guys, check out Proformance Unlimited: https://www.proformanceunlimited.com/

Get the headers with the bung for O2 sensor and stainless exhaust, I would go with Gas-n if I did it again and still might switch over to EFI.

Everyone on this forum will help you spend money, good luck.

Get electric power steering and Hydraulic clutch....

Look into a painter now!! If you aren't painting it yourself send the body to the painter as soon as you get it from FFR.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard & Welcome To The Factory Five Family!

A healthy 302 will put a ton of grins on your face while putting nearly every production car in their place.
    A healthy 347 or 351 will give you plenty of power to shred the tires through 3rd gear.
    Anything more is overkill and just stuff you can spout at the coffee shop or drive inn.
    My two cents would be to pick a SBF and keep it simple and low cost or:

You Can Join The Dark Side Instead!

https://youtu.be/uLmHEoWTEHg
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-07-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no! Steve is trying to recruit more heathens!!!
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Congratulations, welcome to the fun. If I had to do it over I would do the IRS, good choice. I would also do a 427 instead of my 408. I got my 408 from these guys, check out Proformance Unlimited: https://www.proformanceunlimited.com/

Get the headers with the bung for O2 sensor and stainless exhaust, I would go with Gas-n if I did it again and still might switch over to EFI.

Everyone on this forum will help you spend money, good luck.

Get electric power steering and Hydraulic clutch....

Look into a painter now!! If you aren't painting it yourself send the body to the painter as soon as you get it from FFR.
    Thanks for the advice all is appreciated.
    Going with EFI and planning power steering and hydraulic clutch, planning to contact Forte soon for some options.
    Good call on the headers actually something I may have overlooked was the 02 sensor
    Yes there seems to be some exponential increase in spending and build complexity with every hour spent on the forum and my plans are no exception.
    I'm already looking into a painter and getting quotes and timelines, I plan to use one of the usual suspects that knows this car well and can do the body fitting and work with some expertise that I just will not have.
    Thanks again!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha!
    Appreciate the invitation, I've read your thread and posts before when planning everything and appreciate the advice.
    Looking forward to getting started, the garage is about ready, I just have to figure out he picture posting. Maybe I can look through that tonight.
    Thanks again!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    Congrats! Let the fun begin.
    I'm in Ada/Cascade building (slowly) a MkIV Challenge Car and a friend down the road is building a Gen 3 Coupe. There are two more FFRs that I know in GR and then more friends with other Cobras.
    PM for more.

edit/add: I have IRS, TKO-600, 427w. Easy to tell what my preferences are.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim1855; 03-07-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added info

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Oh no! Steve is trying to recruit more heathens!!!
    Yeppp! You know me well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, good to know some local builders. Did you have any trouble with the clearance on the 427, sounds like its occasionally an issue?
    Thanks
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    My car is not finished, not even close.
    But the 427w has been in & out a few times now for test fitting. No problems other than height which has been addressed here many times. I'll have even more issues as I run a Vic Jr. or Super Vic and a 14"x3" or 4" air cleaner element in a drop base.
    Right now my modified engine mounts place the oil pan 1" below the frame rails. I'll get my cheeks flamed for this heresy, but in the final set-up it will be a half inch low, as a guess.
    As far as use and driving, I'll go cross country and drive as often as I please, no top, and multiple track events per year, been wet too many times to count in previous cars. Not building a pretty car, paint is the least of my concern.
    Happy to talk and show. PM if you wish.
    Jim