Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rubber Seal Under Hood vs Rubber Bumpers

Post Thanks / Like

Rubber Seal Under Hood vs Rubber Bumpers

Who has used a rubber seal between the hood and body similar to the seal between the trunk lid and body? Can you post pictures and a part number or source for the part?
    MKIV Roadster #9414, Complete Kit Delivered 9/8/2018, First Start 11/9/2018, First Go Cart 11/10/2018, Ford 306 Hand Built, E303 Cam, Blueprint Engine Heads, Edelbrock Performer Manifold, Edelbrock AVS2 Carb, Roller Rockers, Tremec T5, 3.55 Moser 3 Link, 17" Halibrand Replicas, Nitto 555 G2's, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Heated Seats, Russ Thompson Turn Signal

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. It's a "D" shape, self adhesive. I have both the seal and the bumpers. I got mine from McMaster, but don't know the part no. Not the same as the trunk with the edge clip type.

Also, gets a little dicey in the front, forward of the hood hinge, so if you notice the seal stops about there.

The Jeff's, or Paul, or ? chime in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 03-06-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I get mine from Mike Everson and use it on the hood and doors every car I do (prefer the FFR provided bulb seal on the trunk)

http://www.replicaparts.com/weather%...ing%20page.htm

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Likes R. Button liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! That's exactly what I was looking for.
    MKIV Roadster #9414, Complete Kit Delivered 9/8/2018, First Start 11/9/2018, First Go Cart 11/10/2018, Ford 306 Hand Built, E303 Cam, Blueprint Engine Heads, Edelbrock Performer Manifold, Edelbrock AVS2 Carb, Roller Rockers, Tremec T5, 3.55 Moser 3 Link, 17" Halibrand Replicas, Nitto 555 G2's, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Heated Seats, Russ Thompson Turn Signal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I get mine from Mike Everson and use it on the hood and doors every car I do (prefer the FFR provided bulb seal on the trunk)

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeff,
    Got any pics of placement on the doors?
    Louis

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez Jeff. I wouldn't even put a hood on that car.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I too get the D shaped cushion from Mike. Use it on the doors but less successfully on the hood as it gets too thin in the front as already mentioned. For me, I use bumpers on the hood or a combination of the cushion and bumpers. Adjusting the thickness of the bumpers helps to get the hood height to match the body. For the trunk, agree the 3/8-inch bulb seal provided in the kit with the bulb on the side (vs. the top like everywhere else) is the way to go. The only thing you might find is they provide seal with a 1/8-inch grip range. The fiberglass lip around the trunk can run thicker than that and the seal not fit the best. The exact material is available from McMaster except with a 1/4-inch grip range. I find it fits much better in most cases. https://www.mcmaster.com/1120a411. Mark at Breeze used to sell the same material. Maybe he still does.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-07-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to ask who the maker of those hood latches are? Is there a pic of the latches available (on the hood itself)? I've kicked around trying to find a flat billet pushbutton release for the hood to avoid the handles. Any information would be appreciated. I agree, why is there even a hood on that car????!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Cheers,
    Jeff
    The hell with the bumpers and bulb seal discussion, let’s talk about that engine bay, she’s a beaut! Not a fan of yotes in roadsters but this one is really nice, clean and pretty.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott. Pretty sure McMaster-Carr carries those.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdonnel View Post
    I have to ask who the maker of those hood latches are? Is there a pic of the latches available (on the hood itself)? I've kicked around trying to find a flat billet pushbutton release for the hood to avoid the handles. Any information would be appreciated. I agree, why is there even a hood on that car????!

Scott
    Nothing on the top of the hood; the two latches engage with catches on the underside of the hood and are actuated by a cable in the cockpit. That cylinder in the center pushes the hood up a couple of inches when they are released. Here's some info and pics:

Quote Originally Posted by DANW View Post
    Attachment 91989Attachment 91990Attachment 91991Attachment 91992
    Here are a few pictures of the hood latches, if you look at the fipped over body by the hood opening you see two pads. I used 1/4 inch thick metal 3 inches square. Drill and tap two 1/4-20 all thread studs and bonded them to the body with 3M marine fiberglass bondo, this was used to attach the cables plungers mounts I made. Also of you look you see a 1/2 square metal tubing that runs between the two mounts, I used this to mount the popper.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I know Breeze has under hood latches also a video showing how they operate.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I'm looking into this while on a conference call. Multi tasking at it's finest.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jeff,

Do you know if these hood latches were purchased or, did he make them? Nice paint job, beautiful build!