Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speedometer stopped working

Post Thanks / Like

Speedometer stopped working

So I'm not sure my speedometer was ever accurate, but now it has stopped working altogether. No signs of life. When I was first working on getting an accurate, working Speedo a mechanic did some research and thought that a resistor needed to added to the circuit to make it work. His summary at the time was:
    "The correct way to do it is to add a 10k ohm 1/4 resistor to the Green signal wire that comes from the computer on one end (usually where it connects to the white wire of the speedometer) and then solder the other end of the resistor to a wire that needs to be run to a 12 volt power source that is on switched power (hot only when key or ignition is on) to add more power to get the speedometer to work correctly." Pic of that attached.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting this issue, but wondered if anyone can confirm the need for the resistor and if so whether this is wired correctly? Could this set up have fried the Speedo?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

SpeedoResistor.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    We add a 5k ohm resistor to that circuit. The easiest way to add that is right at the speedo....crimp one end of the resistor in with the spade connector for the signal wire and crimp the other end of the resistor in with the spade connector to the Ign + wire. Every car we've wired is like that and I have not heard of it frying any gauges, so I'm guessing that you have a wiring problem at the speedo or your gauge just took a crap if it does absolutely nothing at all (as in, the odo display won't even light up anymore). If it's just a matter of the needle not moving anymore, that could be an issue with the signal from the ECU or the VSS signal into the ECU.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts