Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Power Steering Rack issue after Go Kart

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering Rack issue after Go Kart

After my recent go kart rattle check, I discovered a problem with my power steering rack. It is the one that I received with the FFR power steering kit. There is a metal rod that attaches to the boots on either end of the rack and the boot has slipped off the rack. The clamp is still on the boot. I guess I have to figure out how to get the boot back on and clamped. I am wondering why it came out and should I expect it to happen again. The picture posted shows the end of the rod at the top and the opening in the boot to the right. Anyone experienc this?IMG_1713.JPG
    Last edited by jdavis500; 03-10-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The rod running from each end is a tube. It allow each billow boot to vent. As one contracts the other expands, allowing the air inside to equalize. I guess it is possible for compressed air inside the boot to unseat the boot and clamp. More likely the small end of the boot was pulled too far out onto the tie rod shaft. When the tie rod end extended, it pulled the big end of the boot off the steering rack. If you cannot get the boot and clamp back in place, you might try a zip tie or hose clamp replacement. Good luck.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

3. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Understood. Seems like I need to slide back the small end of the boot toward the rack and work on refitting the large end of the boot.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis500 View Post
    Understood. Seems like I need to slide back the small end of the boot toward the rack and work on refitting the large end of the boot.
    Exactly. The location for the small end is not always very obvious. W/ the rack centered you want the boot located so it's not stretched or compressed.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    While you are at it with the boot off you might think about getting rack limiters. They are cheap and will keep your rims from hitting your arms at full turn. And very easy install.

1979-2004 Mustang Steering Rack Limiter Stop Spacers -6pc
    by Yates Performance
    Learn more:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1P0T20..._t-7HCbD445BTN
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

7. Thanks jdavis500 thanked for this post