Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Possible 818C Build with/out Donor - NEW Parts Only?

Post Thanks / Like

Possible 818C Build with/out Donor - NEW Parts Only?

My buddy is finishing a GTM now so when I started looking into it I really liked the 818C. I have been reading a lot of build threads and my real issue is building a new car with donor parts that are 12 years old.

We are already looking for a donor and I found VeryCoolParts donors also.

I really like AZPete's coupe, but when I start building what I want I am looking at $30-$35k and when I get there I see older Lotus Exiges and Alfa Romeo C4 for just a little more that I can drive this summer.

After running through the Factory Five Order sheet my car would be ~$24,000. Now some of those I would not buy from FFR but would buy direct from other vendors through my buddy who has a shop.

So the question I have is there a build that is 100% NON DONOR with new / remanufactured parts with warranties? with part numbers from Rock Auto or Subura parts.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the money you'd be into it with all new equipment, I'd say it would be more wise to go with an OEM car like you mention (Exige, Elise, 4C, 997 etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight is absolutely right that buying all new parts individually would put you over the cost of the other production cars. But, if you want a fun project of building your own car, like your GTM buddy, with an uncertain completion date and budget, then get an 818 kit. If you want a fun 818 that would be a blast all summer, and beyond, we should talk. I'd like to start another build but need to clear my 818C from the garage first.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    PM Sent

Post Thanks / Like
    https://twitter.com/FactoryFive/stat...48204584644608

This makes it more interesting -

"Build Your 818S/R/C and Score $1,500 of Free Options!
    The 818 Sports Car starts out at only $9,990, so we couldn’t afford to include $3,000 in free options. Instead, we are able to offer $1,500 towards any options ordered with your 818."

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick with a real car.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Pete, for many of us the build project is a big part of the fun. If you don't have or not willing to spend the time it takes for the build their are some great 818's for sale out there.
    In my case it was 2 years due to time available to work on the car, changes or mods I wanted and recharging me and the cash for the parts I wanted to use.
    Doing it again I would still buy a donor or a donor pallet from Wayne. I learned a ton about the parts and drive train, sold off over $3K in parts (which was more than the cost of my donor) and installed new service parts into the components needed from the donor. Plus ended up with a large selection of metric fasteners.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-15-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My "kit/unstarted project" purchase included most donor parts, and to be honest because of "his"/my choices not that many were used. Depending on your wants/needs/constraints you could build with new parts I think. Reclaiming, rebuilding and refinishing things like the spindles and hubs, were part of the "fun" and new wheel bearings, bushings, etc. result in parts that I consider as good as new. 'not sure what kind of warranty you can get on such parts, but I don't see the added value of all new parts. Engine and trans. are the grayest areas, so maybe that's better "insurance", but my Craigslist engine and cleaned-up donor trans are good so far.

The real question, is do you want a car- or a project? I thought about a GTM, and seeing what you can get in a nice salvaged/used 'vette had me thinking seriously about just rebuilding a C6 (never got fully hooked on the GTM). But I wanted more of a project. Maybe not a 3 year project, but no complaints and it filled my need for these things. I you want a street car more than a project, there are better options than building it IMHO. If you want a race car, you can go faster for cheaper in a proper race car.

Today I had my first spring commute in the 818 and I'm looking out my office door at it- stoked! Still work to be done, but thinking about a cruise with my wife to the beach in it this weekend too!
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

9. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have decided that if I go 818C it will be a purchase from a previous builder.

Why I want a project for next WINTER and also none of my buddies are body guys and with I certainly don’t have the patience.

I also have not found any good donors that pass the sniff test without a crazy amount of money or even having to buy 2 donors, and yes I have looked into a donor pallet also but with mileage on engine and their cost to rebuild I don’t think it’s worth it.

This way I can purchase then drive and if need to change the engines if issues or wants (remanufactured 3 year warranty from Jegs is $4500), and upgrade the clutch, then all probably go with high quality brakes. Along with picking out certain after market upgrades for convenience and performance.

And thus the waiting on more 818s coming up for sale or buying a real car.