Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Gen2 Body on Gen1 Chassis

Post Thanks / Like

Gen2 Body on Gen1 Chassis

I have a Gen1 Chassis and FFR just sent me my stage 2 kit with a Gen2 body. Anybody married these two together? I can see the door sill will need some work since the Gen1 chassis does not have the cut out... any other challenges??
    gen1.jpggen1-2.jpg

I am finally at the point of fitting the body...
    2415E7E3-FF8A-44EF-A1A2-1959E3C7D16A.jpg
    I mounted the aluminum pieces to the outside door sill. These were provided by FFR.

Then did my first pass at cutting the body as FFR directed.
    BF436C2D-409C-4D7D-8CB6-369433D6AC97.jpg
    BBE93077-1A63-4374-961E-E5E5F5D9540B.jpg

Started to work on fitting the body to the firewall. I think I’m really close on that part.
    B76AA327-CB30-4FF2-9EFE-08B20B2C799F.jpg

Now for the remaining challenges and/or questions...

The measurements of the cockpit front to back in the manual says 45.5”. I’m at 45 3/8”.

The back is as low as it can go. Sitting on the upper truck aluminum and gas tank fittings. The body is pretty much jammed or wedges on the chassis.
    98CC1184-A501-40F8-94CE-E6499228A166.jpeg
    9D265B03-3040-4F98-BDB3-D415DD4ED5F6.jpg

1/2” gap on the door sills and at least 3/8”- 1/2” from the bottom of the chassis to the bottom of the body. The body does not tuck under the chassis.

Also the rear wheel wells do not fit well. The passenger side has 1” clearance to the tire and the drivers side is in hard contact with the tire and I have no side to side adjustment.

The manual does not give any other information other than the 45.5” before screwing the body to the chassis but the interference and gaps do not match the pictures or what I experience in the build class.

Should the body tuck under the frame?
    Should the body door sills sit on the chassis?
    Has anyone had to cut the body to fix rubbing tires?

All ideas welcome!
    Last edited by Lake Living; 12-31-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Progress update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Living View Post
    I have a Gen1 Chassis and FFR just sent me my stage 2 kit with a Gen2 body. Anybody married these two together? I can see the door sill will need some work since the Gen1 chassis does not have the cut out... any other challenges??
    gen1.jpggen1-2.jpg
    Get in touch with FFR as that is not right unless they send you some sort of adaption package and even then I would not accept that. Thats a substantial modifications of the fiberglass body to be honest, can't understand why they did that... I honestly think someone made a mistake in their shop and did not ask the question.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called 2 wks before the shipment to confirm that I had a gen1 chassis and to make sure the correct kit was sent... Since delivery, I did reach out to FFR (in email) and they told me, and I quote "You may have to trim your aluminum a bit but it’s nothing major." I also reached out to the build class instructors who just built the Gen2. They said the biggest piece to change should be the door sill on the body. I still need to inventory the stage 2 kit and I plan to try to put the body on chassis tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    After a phone call and few more e-mails...FFR told me to "Go ahead and trim the body so it will fit on the chassis and we will send a trim piece to cover the visible chassis" I'll post what they send out...

5. Likes AJT '33, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From looking at the pictures, it looks like it may be easier to cut the frame at the door sills, and then put a new tube in angled to fit the new door entry. But that’s because I would rather cut and weld anything then have to do fiberglass work. Haha. Also I guess F 5 may not want you to cut their Gen 1 chassis at that location. Good luck ��
    Last edited by Mrallsport32; 03-13-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrallsport32 View Post
    From looking at the pictures, it looks like it may be easier to cut the frame at the door sills, and then put a new tube in angled to fit the new door entry. But that’s because I would rather cut and weld anything then have to do fiberglass work. Haha. Also I guess F 5 may not want you to cut their Gen 1 chassis at that location. Good luck ��
    Since the structural analysis of the frames and their construction are completely different between Gen 1 and 2, I would not recommend any frame modifications without the written instructions directly from FFR. I am however very curious to see what they send you as a patch panel to glass in to the existing body as well as the fit of the Gen1 components to the Gen 2 body and doors.
    Last edited by AJT '33; 03-14-2019 at 07:05 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 2 body on gen 1 chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Living View Post
    gen1.jpggen1-2.jpg
    I talked with someone at FF about how to do this. I was told there would be 'minimal" mods to be done on the body but I'm now wondering why not modify the side rails on the chassis instead to take advantage of their new design making entry and exit easier? Has anyone done this or is it even feasible? Not having the body yet doesn't help.
    Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    I updated my original post with progress. Looking for advise/help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. that is really bad service to send you gen 2 body for gen 1 chassis. The bodywork is bad enough on these cars, I cant imagine having to marry two different generations.
    My advise is to get a rebate for your troubles.