Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking into a FF purchase

Post Thanks / Like

Looking into a FF purchase

Hi all. I'm a newbie, a 70 year old newbie. I've been looking for something to replace my BMW M Roadster. I'm an old guy so I kind of like old cars. I've got a '46 Chevy flatbed and have had a 64 1/2 Mustang convertible and a '62 Austin Healey 3000. I was initially looking at another Healey or possibly a Morgan or MG TC (I found a supercharged one that was nice). But then I saw a Factory Five at a used car dealer in the LA area. I got some basic info from the dealer but they were just too slippery to me. I've located on in Colorado that's older but allegedly has a 351 Windsor bored out to a 427. I've got some specs but I'm not sure about some other info. I've written to the folks at Factory Five with the vehicle ID, FFR1642K, number to see what some of the info on the Cert. of Ownership indicates "225 BHP" under the H.P. (S.A.E.) section. I'm not sure if that is the maximum hp the frame is rated for or what it means. I'm also trying to find out any other things to check out on the car.. Dan Golub send me a Used Factory Five Buyers Guide that has some helpful information. I've read the threads on here regarding new owners and safety info and was just looking for any thoughts on the purchase of an older FF model vehicle.

Thanks for any help and suggestions,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    PM sent to you.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two things you can say about buying a completed Factory Five are (1) Wide variation in version (Mk1, Mk2, etc.) and content, (2) Wide variation in build quality. There's nothing wrong with buying one from a dealer. But like any car purchase there will be a difference between dealer and private selling price. My main recommendation would be to ask for a personal inspection from a knowledgeable Factory Five owner/builder in the area where you're considering a purchase. Especially since you're not real familiar with them. I've done several and it was an education for the prospective buyers. Interesting that Factory Five provided some information. But since they have little/no influence over the content or build quality, don't know how useful that information is to be honest. Good luck with your search.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Note:...Edwardb Is An Expert Builder And He Has Helped Many Of Us With Our Projects So Take Any Advice He Gives You!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-09-2019 at 07:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as an FYI #1642 would be 1998/1999 vintage, a fairly early Mk1. Share any more info you have with us.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    For the one in Colorado, you might try contacting the Mile-Hi Cobra Club to see if any of the members are familiar with the car.

Al Bockman
    [email protected]

https://www.milehicobraclub.com/index.php
    Last edited by Papa; 03-09-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm going to recontact the seller and see if he's ok with an inspection or look see by someone from the local club. The people at Factory Five don't have a lot in the way of paperwork since it all goes with the kit. I was able to find out that the one at the dealer here was initially purchased in the Boston area but that was about it. Are there major differences between the Mark I and say a IV? This one has a solid rear end, is that the only way the FF kits came back then, rather than independent rears?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR doesn’t have any info on anything sold prior to 2005 as that data was lost in a computer/software upgrade.
    There are posts on the forum you can search for that describe the changes/updates from the Mk1 to MkIV. I’d post a link but I’m on a plane with only my cell phone. I have a Mk1 and am spending $ updating it to what I want. For example, 5 lug conversion and 4 wheel disc brakes and rear suspension etc... I’m basically replacing the donor parts a little at a time to suit what I want. There’s nothing wrong with an older Mk1, just understand you may find yourself spending more money making it “yours”, then say finding a newer MkIII or MkIV.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCJoeR View Post
    ...Are there major differences between the Mark I and say a IV? This one has a solid rear end, is that the only way the FF kits came back then, rather than independent rears?

Joe
    Yes, there are significant differences in both the body and chassis between the very first generation Mk1 and the current Mk4. Not to say that the early cars are bad by any means but the newer cars benefit from what has been learned, upgraded and refined over nearly 25 years. If all other factors such as drivetrain, features and fit & finish are equal an older version will still sell for less than a later one. It's kind of like technology...an up to date techie guy would look at my 3 year old Android device and be horrified but it functions perfectly and does what I want/need it to do!

Good luck with your search!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCJoeR View Post
    Hi all. I'm a newbie, a 70 year old newbie.
    Thanks for any help and suggestions,
    Joe
    Joe, why don't you give us a call. We are just North of you in the Inland Empire. We have two car (a MK3 and a Mk4) in the shop right now and another one in the trailer waiting to be finished. We can go over the options of 3-link, IRS and engine/drivetrain options with you, even take you for a drive in one. We can see what your budget is and maybe build one just the way you want for you. Or even see if we can put feelers out to find a completed one for you.

Frank