This is starting to feel more and more like a matter of when and not if, so I felt it was time to post a planning thread, and see what others think. First, I want to apologize to "Desert Cobra"; I swear I didn't see your user name until after I registered mine or else, I may have tried to be a bit more original.

Okay, so short version of my background - I think building a car sounds awesome. It'd mainly be a weekend cruiser, but I think track events and car shows are great and would probably try out some (but that's not the main purpose of the car and really shouldn't influence too many decisions).

Slightly longer version - Let me start upfront by saying I have little mechanical experience. From time to time, the "sports car bug" has crept up in my life, and I've never seriously considered it - mostly because I couldn't see spending that much on a weekend toy that I could only use a handful of months out of the year. Then life moved us to a climate that is sort of a roadsters' paradise, and the idea of buying a nicer car became quite a bit more reasonable. Then one day, my wife, who normally doesn't notice cars, points out a cobra a few blocks from our house and excitedly asked me what on earth was that? I said it was an old cobra and while I don't know that much about it, I'm pretty sure most of the ones you see on the street are kit cars that people build in their garage. She was somewhat in disbelief. Anyway, I didn't think much about it for a week and then it kind of hit me - why haven't you ever looked deeper into Cobras? The more I read, the more I liked it. And the more it seemed feasible. I bought Brian Smith's "How to Build Cobra Kit Cars". The picture is becoming more and more clear. Plus, it's something that I would build and make my own. It'll last a lifetime, and everyone who comes down and visits will love cruising the desert highways. When I was a kid, if I had a dream a car, it was the Viper. It was cool to me that Dodge had a car that people drooled over like exotic European cars. The connection from the Cobra to the Viper isn't lost on me. It is starting to make more and more sense. As mentioned already, I recently moved out of state. I'm eager to start a big project, and I might get to be a part of new events and maybe even meet a few new people (car guys tend to be good people).

I'm going to go through and post my build plans in the next couple of posts. I'm hoping to get some feedback or confirmation. I still don't have a great sense for timing, if I do pull the trigger.