FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  132
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cliff's 33 Hot Rod Build in Virginia

Post Thanks / Like
    That sucks!!!! Pardon my
    language. I didn’t realize the DMV was shut down. So sorry!!!!
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

2. Thanks colsen23153 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by colsen23153 View Post
    In post #185 I mentioned that I sent off the necessary paperwork and check to VDMV. I was so excited that in a few weeks after that I would have the '33 on the road. No such luck. 3 days after DMV received my package the Governor closed all DMV's. So I am placed on indefinite hold. I completed everything to get it on the road except the carpet and seats. The seats have already been in. All that is needed is to cut the holes in the carpet and bolt them in.

My birthday is 4/12 and I was hoping to have it done them.

Life has a way of changing everything. I have to fight myself to work on the car. I just don't see the reason now.
    Not sure about your local municipalities, but here you can get temp tags through the tax office...that would at least get you legal enough to drive it around for 30 days or so. I am sure you have exhausted all options on your end at this point, but just thought I would throw it out there. Either way, keep your head up and moving forward...with my build I found that unplanned set-backs or scheduling issues usually happened for a reason and (for the most part) worked to my advantage in the scheme of the entire build. With that being said, I also understand the frustration of planning for something and things not working out that way - I have registered (and paid for) my car to be at the last two Good Guys Shows in Fort Worth and missed both, last year I was naive enough to think we were closer than what we were and then this year weather and COVID...try not to get too discouraged!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

4. Thanks colsen23153 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found out today that Virginia DMV opens the 15th of next month. I better finish my punch list of remaining things to do before then.

As a side note: My son and his wife came over to borrow my other car for tomorrow. His wife hasn't seen my car in about 6 months and wanted to see it. After a short while she said " Can I hear it?" Well as any good father inlaw I asked my son to start r up. She got all excited and asked when she can get a ride. As we were talking I rested my hand on the garage wall. Holy smokes! The walls were vibrating and it was just idling. Going to be a ripper!
    Last edited by colsen23153; 04-24-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    '33 Hot Rod Chassis #1118, Gen 2, hard top, bike fenders, AC, electric steering. BluePrint Engines Chevy 383 Fuel Injected with the 700R4 transmission 8.8" rear 3.55.

6. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Well Well. DMV opened yesterday and They called me. They started to process my paper work and found that on their forms I put my wife as co-owner but I was the only one on the certificate of origin/bill of sale from FFR. I had to redo the forms and email them back to them. She got them and said no problem and would call about the sales tax. That call came today. That was a bit more then I expected but the check I sent for doing the paper work was out dated so that was in that sum.

Next she said she would be sending me back my other paper work and a "agent" from DMV will call in a day or two to set up an appointment to inspect my car. After that I'll be issued my title then I can register it and get my plates. So the long wait is almost over.

Now my problem. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I am having a big flare up. I have to finish putting the carpet and bolting the seats in. Also hang a few mirrors. I hope I get better so I can complete it before the inspection. I should and if needed I'll get my son to help.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. The light has been turned off by the virus but now it's back on.
    '33 Hot Rod Chassis #1118, Gen 2, hard top, bike fenders, AC, electric steering. BluePrint Engines Chevy 383 Fuel Injected with the 700R4 transmission 8.8" rear 3.55.

8. Likes FF33rod, JOP33, Dduty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How have other people getting insurance on the 33? I have Nationwide for home and auto. I asked for a quote for a "agreed upon" amount. What followed wa a series of questions. Does it have a roll cage? Are you going to any racing events, drags, auto cross, etc. Well I planned to take it to the drags a time or two so I said yes. BIG MISTAKE. They flagged the quote as no liability and the comp/coll would be done by Hagerty.

I'm not driving a car without liability. I don't think it's legal in Virginia.

What insurance company should I be looking at that allows an occasional trip to the drags?

Thanks,
    Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hagerty. Super cheap, excellent company. I have 4 cars and a trailer with them.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Midwest Classic. They beat Hagerty's pricing, were able to cover the vehicle during the build process and they didn't place an annual mileage limit rider on the policy. Ask for Robbin.

https://www.midwestclassicinsurance.com/
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

12. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am missing something here. I used Hagerty online quote and it said my vehicle didn't qualify for liability. Are you guys driving around without liability?

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely not. Make a phone call. There’s something missing from their online system
    apparently. They have insured my f5 cobra and the hot rod plus all the classics I’ve ever bought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sethmark; 06-16-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks sethmark. I will have to call them in the morning.

Did you tell them that you might take it to the drags?

I see it's listed as 2019. Is it registered as 2019 or 1933? (inspection question)

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t offer anything that wasn’t asked. I’ll check title for specifics. It’s NOT AN antique.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like

Hagerty refuesed my application

The reason is " *Risk unacceptable for the program" . I am given 60 days to dispute it. What a kick in my gut. I worked this far to come this close to finish it that I can't believe this has happened.

I know others have their cars insured by Hagerty so I think I said something which turned them off.
    Here are a few:

Title has F5R100118HR year 1933 make Factory five vehicle body 2D sedan. What is wrong with that? what needs to be changed?

Next they asked for pictures and I gave them the 4 required but by mistake I gave them pictures of the motor and inertia. I didn't find out that the last two were only needed if it was modified. Well you have options on which motor to install and my motor is a sbc from Blue print. On second thought I should not have sent them the last two pictures. That might have caused the modified box. I have repeated to their many questions that it is not modified.

Next I put my 50 year old son on the policy. He would only drive it once or twice a year so I thought he should be on the policy as an occasional driver.
    When they checked for any claim that found out my sons wife is a terrible driver with many accidents. I said ok Take my son off the policy.

Not a minute passed before I was emailed the rejection letter.

I am given 60 days to question this rejection and I will.

I am devastated to be at this point of the build and have this problem that keeps me from driving it.

Any help. ideas. suggestions would be appreciated.

Cliff Olsen 1118HR

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff have you tried Midwest Classic? See post #207

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have agreed value at $95K underwritten by Hagarty through my Farmers agent. My car is titled as a 1933 Ford with AZ and my agent knows I built the car to race. My coverage ends when on the track but they cover it in the pit area. It ain't cheap but I'm covered up to the agreed value if it gets wrecked or stolen.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    Cliff have you tried Midwest Classic? See post #207
    Not yet. I'm trying to work this out. I have quotes in with Grundy and another company that looks promising.

The Hartford, that insures my other cars I was trying to add this through Hagerty cancelled my umbrella policy, just because this car in " in the household"

21. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet. I'm trying to work this out. I have quotes in with Grundy and another company that looks promising.

The Hartford, that insures my other cars I was trying to add this through Hagerty cancelled my umbrella policy, just because this car in " in the household"
    I have American Modern. Costs me about $500 a year in California. I'd recommend them. You should just go straight to business and get yourself on the policy for what you need. If you want to add people or other shenanigans later, do a policy mod once you get it. There are tons of insurance companies out there, you'll get it insured with one of them. Someone wants your money.

Post Thanks / Like
    AMIG insured my F5 cobra. Worth a try.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    fostia, That is one of the companies I' trying now. Takes 3 business days to get a answer. Fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the initial quote I received from Midwest Classic (thanks for the info JOP).
    He did say if it gets registered in the year it was built the premium would be higher.
    I'm not ready to get it on the road, just wanted a ball park number, which I told Robbin.

Collector Vehicle Premium Estimate.
    Thank you for the opportunity to provide an estimate of coverage for your collector vehicle.
    Below is our initial estimate of your annual premium based on the information provided to us.
    Please note, additional information and underwriting review is required to bind coverage.

Mileage Tier: Up to 5000 Limits Deductible Premium Agreed Value: $50,000.00
    1933 Other X - Stock or Original Coverage $100,000 / $300,000 / $50,000 $34.00
    Bodily Injury/Property Damage Limit $1000 $7.00 Medical Payments
    Rejected Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist BI/PD -Non-stacked $0 Deductible $135.00 Collision
    $0 Deductible $190.00 Comprehensive Totals: $366.00
    Limits Deductible Premium
    Taxes and Fees Coverage $34.95 Towing and Labor (TLC) - Platinum $500 $0.00
    Spare Parts Totals: $34.95
    This is a premium estimate and no coverage is implied or in force until you are so advised by American Collectors Insurance.
    Additional information and underwriting review is required. Please call 1-800-360-2277 to complete your application.
    Annual Premium Estimate: $400.95

**For Collector Vehicle’s Only** The mileage tier above is the maximum amount of miles that the collector vehicle may be driven based on the annual mileage that you have indicated.
    Other mileage options are available. Please note that the 7,500 mile tier is our "Freedom" tier option which allows up to 7,500 miles per year but also allows for occasional general use.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

26. Thanks colsen23153 thanked for this post
    Likes JOP33, colsen23153 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 4 quotes in now Two are rejected and no word on the other two. Hopefully by the end of this week this part will be over. Nothing, nothing, not a single part of this build went without a hitch.

It is now Tuesday. I found out that Hagerty rejected me because I said I would take the car to the drags sometimes and auto crosses. That marked a non removable box on my application that will not allow me to apply for Hagerty insurance for 6 months. Can you believe that! So that's out but I have two others that keep asking questions. The one I hope to get, American Modern, said that the fact it is a kit car it goes under MODIFIED! But they didn't reject me yet. I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop. Now another 2 to 3 days before they get back to me.

Anyone wanting to get one of these cars should check with their insurance company first.
    Last edited by colsen23153; 06-23-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was my lucky day. After going through all the anguish this week in getting approved for insurance I got approved by the American Modern by my Hartford auto insurance. My agent worked with me after Hagerty turned me down. I was actually approved by Grundy also but I didn't go with them. As soon as I got the call I rushed to the DMV and I now have plates also!!!!!!

I still have about 1/2 days work to get it road worthy so by tomorrow night I'll take my first ride.

Saturday afternoon I drove 22 miles to the auto shop. Then inspected the car, did a front end alignment and filled the A/C with freon. So now I have a good driving car with A/C. Things we found in a hair line crack in the brake reservoir. I'll check with FF5 to see if they can replace it.

I now have a driver that might get me going again on this build. What a trip.
    Last edited by colsen23153; 06-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a picture for my throttle and TV linkage. TV cable 1.jpg

I have a 383/TCI 700R4 with Sniper EFI from BP. I am having a problem deciding if the TV cable is adjusted correctly. The trans seams to shift too soon. Also the trans is slipping until I reach about 2300RPM.The instructions for setting the TV cable says that if this is shifting too soon the cable is loose. But if I auto adjust the cable it is set correct. You can see the slack at the throttle linkage pin and at the cable clamp.

I have it working. The TV cable had too much slack causing the clutches in the trans to slip badly. I hope I didn't do much damage. As you can see in this photo
    TV cable 2.jpg

I added a compression spring before the cable clamp and took out ALL the slack and then some to make sure the cable was engaging the "hook" in the trans. Shifts good now and at the proper speeds. Car drives 100% better.

Warning: anyone with a 700R4, make sure there is NO slack in the TV cable. I drove about 60 miles before I resolved the problem. I'm going to do some heavy launches tomorrow to see how badly I burned up the clutches.

DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU DRIVE IT.
    Last edited by colsen23153; 07-02-2020 at 07:07 PM.

30. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven’t run a TV cable in a long time, but I remember it being a plug and mash the gas to the floor arrangement. It would auto adjust. Is that not the case?
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    I haven’t run a TV cable in a long time, but I remember it being a plug and mash the gas to the floor arrangement. It would auto adjust. Is that not the case?
    So long that there is tension on the cable ALL the time. The mash it just adjusts the length.

There are many youtubes on the subject. Where on other trans this cable is referred as a "kick down" and downshifts to passing gear. On a 700R4 this adjusts the pressure valve that holds the clutches, determines the shift points and other things. That's why it's proper adjustment is critical.

Post Thanks / Like

Road Trip

Dr Side.JPG

Here is a link for my Youtube video of my first real road trip.

https://youtu.be/4SOD8v9dKcg

34. Likes shmelty, TxMike64, FF33rod, JimLev, j33ptj, JOP33, sread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So cool! Lady even got her picture!!!
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!!

What is that string or whatever flapping around by front wheel? I noticed from 2:30 onwards

First_road_trip_-_YouTube.png
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Very nice!!

What is that string or whatever flapping around by front wheel? I noticed from 2:30 onwards

First_road_trip_-_YouTube.png
    It's a key tag with a note to NOT use synthetic oil, tied on the dip stick. It is a 383 SBC from BluePrint and it's now running on break in oil. BluePrint recommends not to use synthetic. I need that reminder because I use Mobil 1 in all my other cars.
    Thanks for asking.

38. Likes sread, RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    couldn't tell for sure but that looked like a Hess gas station - my very first job was pumping gas at the Hess in Woodbridge, VA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sread View Post
    couldn't tell for sure but that looked like a Hess gas station - my very first job was pumping gas at the Hess in Woodbridge, VA
    It was a BP AMOCO station. I always try to stop in one of their stations. A habit I got from my Dad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Cliff.
    Congratulations! Looks like fun! I hope to be doing that soon.
    I went a different route on my build. Suspension, steering, firewall then did all the bodywork. The body is at the paint shop now and I’m working on the rest till it gets back.
    Denny Eastridge from build school

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dduty View Post
    Hey Cliff.
    Congratulations! Looks like fun! I hope to be doing that soon.
    I went a different route on my build. Suspension, steering, firewall then did all the bodywork. The body is at the paint shop now and I’m working on the rest till it gets back.
    Denny Eastridge from build school
    Good luck. I'm planning on getting some enjoyment out of it while I work getting it in the final configuration. (Hard top, bike fenders, full hood with sides) I'll take a few years before I send it to the body/paint shop.

43. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was having trouble getting the roll bar in. I used a sanding drum to work on the tubes on the frame and the grinder to the ends of the roll bar. I could get each side in by it's self but not together. I posted on Facebook for suggestions. Seams this is a common problem. The remedy was to use Copper Anti-Seize on both parts. Some one said they called FFR and Tony told them to use that. Well it's in but it took a little persuasion.

Roll Bar.jpg

I tried to sit in the seat and see if my head hit it. No, but if I tilt my head back just a bit it does touch like a head rest only this is steel! I hope I never get rear ended!
    Last edited by colsen23153; 07-18-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a brake hone to smooth out the receiver. Than some emery cloth on the bar and then never seize. Still not sure I ever will get it out again!
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

46. Likes colsen23153 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It always makes me feel better to find out I was not the only one. I thought I was going to expire, the first time I tried to get it loose.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    It's just for looks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to sit in the seat and see if my head hit it. No, but if I tilt my head back just a bit it does touch like a head rest only this is steel! I hope I never get rear ended!
    Not wanting to be controversial, but I'm not fitting mine.. IMO it's a lot more likely to be hit by it then it helping me.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

50. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve built 35 or so tube chassis race cars in my life for a one design dirt track series. With roughly 40 races a year, I get to see how my cars fare in wrecks weekly. Quite a few rollovers, trashed bumpers and nerf bars. I’ve learned 2 lessons. If you survive a roll, you had enough cage. Second, avoid finding out.....

I trust the F5 hoop to be more than nothing in the case of a roll. No more, no less. I cannot hit it sitting, but lord knows I prefer to not find out if it will hit me if the time comes.

i could build more with little effort, but it’s a lot like riding a motorcycle. The risks are on the table before you leave the garage.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

52. Likes shmelty, Mrallsport32, TxMike64, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there is one thing I've learned from reading these threads is don't buy an accessory drive system until you install the engine. Looks real tight. I'm waiting to order a 33 in a few months with an LS3 TKO600. Looking good so far. Keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like

Need advise in finishing fiberglass for painting

Hi, guys. I know nothing about finishing the fiberglass on this kit car. I want to put on my bike fenders but not in RED!

Is there a link to a guide that explains how to prepare the surface (sand), what grit paper to use, and how much gelcoat to take off. What body filler to use if needed. Once sanded I think you need to seal it with an epoxy first before applying on the primer. What is a good inexpensive air gun to use? What size nozzle should I get? I think you need one size for primer then another for the top coat and clear coat.

I want a good paint job knowing that after I have completed the car it's going to the paint shop for a real paint job. I also don't want to put something on it that a paint shop would would say WTF... and have to remove before they start and charge me extra.

Thanks in advance,
    Cliff

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast