Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 427 (351 Ford based) stroker in a 33 HR! Anyone on here done one?

Post Thanks / Like

427 (351 Ford based) stroker in a 33 HR! Anyone on here done one?

If so I'd love to see a thread or some pics! In dialing in our engine combinations, and as MANY engine/trans packages we have sold for the various FFR vehicles, I don't know if I have ever had a customer purchase one of our 427's for a hotrod!?

So lets see one! anyone have a 351 in a hotrod? or a 408? or a 427?

We have sold lots of our 427's in the 485, 523, and 541 variety. So got me thinking!!! Surely someone has done a 351 stroker in a HR!

Johnny M
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Send me the engine and I'll build a '33 around it!

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

3. Likes TxMike64 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Send me the engine and I'll build a '33 around it!

Ray
    Nice try Ray.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Nice try Ray.
    Never hurts to ask......
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

6. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be happy to work with someone
    so we ALL know which one works then.lol I know the "mustang swap" 351 pan would probably clear just fine, but with the stroker clearance i'd have to check and see if it gets into the pan rails.
    Last edited by BluePrintEngines; 03-15-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post
    I'd be happy to work with someone
    Well now, if yall wanted to sponsor (with a 427 Windsor and AOD) a quadriplegic who is building his own '33 and documenting it on a YouTube Channel, and that quad grew up on a farm in southwest Nebraska and has half their family in Kearney (but just so happens to live in TX now because NE winters are brutal) -- then I'm your guy!

Man, a 427 Windsor full dress would look sweet poking through the hood, with no hood sides!
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 351w in my hot rod. Basically a stock config. Had to use the rear or double sump oil pan and plug the dipstick hole in timing cover because the new pan has the tube hole in the driver's side of the pan. Needed a shorter oil filter and for what it's worth, the water pump on passenger side works. Mine happens to be a 3bolt balancer with v-belts and ac. Took some chasing to find right pulleys and belts but it's all working fine. If I can help, let me know. Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    Had to use the rear or double sump oil pan...
    I wouldn’t mind hearing more detail on the oil pan. I have a front sump ordered for my 427 Build thinking that I use the extra space in the rear for exhaust clearance. Sounds like that may not be a good plan? Which pan did you end up with?

Post Thanks / Like
    The pan has to have a rear sump to clear the x member. FFR instructions are clear about that. I got the pan from Summit. It's a Ford Racing unit. Nothing special except for having two drain plugs that leaked. New gaskets fixed that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for Chiming in!
    I think the 351 "mustang swap" pan is the closest we are going to find. My issue there is with a stroker crank, i don't know what will clear. we will have to mock it up. We have a rear sump canton 351 pan we use on our 427's for the type 65, but if i recall it doesn't fit the 33.

And Michael101, yes, you 100% need a rear sump pan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael101 View Post
    I wouldn’t mind hearing more detail on the oil pan. I have a front sump ordered for my 427 Build thinking that I use the extra space in the rear for exhaust clearance. Sounds like that may not be a good plan? Which pan did you end up with?
    The actual pan I got from Summit is there #FMS-M-6675-A58 @$139.99 with gasket #fms-m-6710-a351 @$24.99. Hope this helps.. btw, does anyone know why stock 302 pans are different from 351? Is if the main journal sizes are larger with 351? Just curious..
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 04-23-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added dialog

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post
    Thanks for Chiming in!
    I think the 351 "mustang swap" pan is the closest we are going to find. My issue there is with a stroker crank, i don't know what will clear. we will have to mock it up. We have a rear sump canton 351 pan we use on our 427's for the type 65, but if i recall it doesn't fit the 33.

And Michael101, yes, you 100% need a rear sump pan.
    For what it's worth, I used the Canton 15-644S rear sump road race pan on my 347, fits well in the hot rod with power steering. It looks like Canton 15-660 is a darn close 351W equivalent so I'm betting it would fit fine...

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats one we need to test for sure. I haven't had too many hot rod customers ask about the 427, so dont know how popular the the 351 deck engine in the 33 is, But i'm more than willing to try one out once i have a taker!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    For what it's worth, I used the Canton 15-644S rear sump road race pan on my 347, fits well in the hot rod with power steering. It looks like Canton 15-660 is a darn close 351W equivalent so I'm betting it would fit fine...

Steve
    Hey Steve, The 15-644s shows a total depth of 7.5”. Looking at it installed in your car, would you say that the pan depth of 7.5” is about right? Or is there room for more while still maintaining safe ground clearance?

Post Thanks / Like
    The stock 302 pan is 7.5", so this Canton pan is no different and that's why I picked it but the advantage of course is that it has a 7 quart capacity and baffles. The front of the pan sticks below the square side chassis tubes by a 1/4" only. The power steering sticks another 1/2" or so below that (3/4" total). So what you consider safe ground clearance can be deduced from that. Here's a pick from the driver side front quarter looking under the car back towards the middle, you can see the front of the pan and the power steering motor.... (apologies the body is on the ground and can be seen in the background and causes confusion at first when you look at the pic)

IMG_2803a.jpg
    Last edited by FF33rod; 04-25-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve, that helps. I’m going to try the 15-690, same dimensions as the 644 but for 4.0 stroke.