Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quick aluminum panel thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Quick aluminum panel thread...

Hey all,

I just getting going on my delivered (as of Sunday) MKIV build. I think I have a quick and easy question. I'm removing panels and trying to be meticulous as I picture and mark them for reinstall later on.

I'm marking the panels carefully where they line up with flat edges on the chassis. But will the panels be drilled/riveted into the main pipe chassis? Thinking in the cases of the footboxes that lay on top of the round chassis members.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a couple panels that are riveted into the main chassis tubes. Best I can remember is the inside of the drivers foot box floor on the right side as well as a couple points on the rear bulkhead where they touch the floor. Just drill slowly and you shouldn't have any problem. These holes will use the longer rivets supplied by Factory Five in your kit. I don't recall any others at this point. I'm about 60% done with sheet metal and waiting on the powertrain package to get installed before buttoning up the trunk. No sense in laying on the floor when you can simply stand next to the car and run the fuel lines. I'm sure others may point out additional areas, so check back often.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t forget to buy cleco fasteners... you’ll thank me later!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. I have the cleco's already by the way but that was because people like ya'll recommended them - thanks for that!

I was asking about the main chassis tubes because I was trying to figure out how to mark where I'll eventually be drilling - it is easy on a flat chassis rail, but not as much on a tube. But as I finished removing the panels I started to think I'll just drill the tubes where the panel rests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by welske View Post
    Thanks all. I have the cleco's already by the way but that was because people like ya'll recommended them - thanks for that!

I was asking about the main chassis tubes because I was trying to figure out how to mark where I'll eventually be drilling - it is easy on a flat chassis rail, but not as much on a tube. But as I finished removing the panels I started to think I'll just drill the tubes where the panel rests.
    The best thing to do is lay the panels on your work bench, mark and drill all the holes. Once drilled, debur the panel and position the panel back on the frame. Now you just drill through the pre-drilled holes, into the frame, using cleco's as you go, about every 4th or 5th hole works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    What rich said. Easiest way to do it. And some engineer should receive an award for inventing the cleco. That is the best tool in my build. Along with my Nut-sert tool.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought some of the tec screws like F5 used to retain the panels. As I positioned and aligned the panels, I used an additional tec screw to hold it in place. With everything located, I used the rivet spacing tool and drilled nearly everything on the frame. This allowed me to see what I was drilling into and adjust my spacing as needed. I marked the panel through the rivet spacer with a sharpie. I used a spring loaded punch to help keep the drill bit on target. My tec screw holes fell in line with the rivet spacing and accepted a rivet without issue.
    On the larger panels, I cleco ed them as they were being drilled to keep the metal from running.
    Just the method I used.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put all the panels on the car, even get the others out of the boxes. Mark them from below, the side whatever it takes, mark them for what they are DFBT is driver foot box top, etc. Start drilling, and keep drilling, a lot of drilling, marking, drilling marking drilling, repeat and then drill the frame to match. There are about 7 panels you can not drill. NOTE I said drill, not install. This process will keep all the sparkly little drill pieces out of the house, as they are all done and at once, clean up the sparkly bits and done. Then, start your build. Clecko panels in place as needed to make sure stuff clears. Last car we did, we go carted with about 5 panels permanently installed. Even the carpet is easier to install when the foot box is not complete. Trans mount is easy with no floor board. Painter will love you without F panels installed. HTH, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.